Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Wife bought me a new tool and it was waiting for me when I got home from work this evening. Had to give it a little test drive.

Those are Ayers Pears btw. They will be too ripe in less than a week so tool came just in time.

PS: This is a Kieffer set in spring of 2014 so you can compare to Senator Clark above. I've already thinned this little tree twice but think I had better thin it again. Senator Clark is at the farm and the Kieffer at home.

That's one sweet looking tool your wife got you but you need to leave some for the deer.:D

Do you know when The Wildlife Group will open up their ordering online this year or is it better to contact them by phone? I'm wanting to order some pear trees. Have you ordered from Century Farm Orchards?

For the wildlife group I always ordered by phone because I didn't order the full pear package. If you wanna order that amount of trees at one time the online thing wouldn't be bad.

That's one sweet looking tool your wife got you but you need to leave some for the deer.:D

Do you know when The Wildlife Group will open up their ordering online this year or is it better to contact them by phone? I'm wanting to order some pear trees. Have you ordered from Century Farm Orchards?

The best thing to do is call them on the phone. I've always got someone when I called.

I've looked many times at Century Farm's web site. I love their pictures and descriptions. They have a pear (Warren) that I really want. That is a very old proven variety with a late drop time and high DR. Seems like the last time I looked at WG they had it too. I wouldn't hesitate ordering from Century Farm. Several people have posted great feedback on them.

So your wife thought you were too old to keep climbing those pear trees, huh? I like it, and those pears look great. What do yall do with all the pears? Preserves?

Sure thing Todd. Just give me a yell about that time.

I have a big patch of river cane (bamboo) so I'm going to cut some shafts and use that to protect my grafts next time. I'm thinking it should work good.
I think the bamboo cane would work perfect - plus it is free. When I graft smaller trees and use a whip and tongue I never lose those from breaking off but when doing bark grafts I have come to the conclusion that they must be supported.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

So your wife thought you were too old to keep climbing those pear trees, huh? I like it, and those pears look great. What do yall do with all the pears? Preserves?

Lak, yep, for some reason, she thinks I'm not as young as I used to be and shouldn't be swinging around in trees like Tarzan.:D

I have lots of friends and family that we give fruit to. I just ate a dandy cobbler that my MIL fixed with some apples. I only picked a few pears at my home this year and there are more than that at the farm. I guess the deer and other critters will get most of those.

Took a few pictures today.

My favorite spots are transition zones between food plots and forb areas - where the species blend together.

If you read on the Internet about Orange Jewelweed, the experts will tell you that it grows from 2 - 5 feet tall. That's a joke - it grows 6 or 7 feet tall in rich soil and a place that it likes. I spend 15 minutes a year keeping this going and the deer appreciate it.

Many people look at a ditch and see useless land. I look at a ditch and see a fertile spot where there is a lot of moisture. The perfect place for a weed food plot. When I started managing my land for deer this ditch was a mess of sycamores and other useless junk. Now it has nothing but species I promote for deer - mostly jewelweed and honeysuckle. Once again, very little time to keep this going and so easy.

Candy fell from Heaven this week.

This is what Jap Beetles has done to a lot of chestnuts, but it won't kill them.

The Native Hunter Fall Tree Jungle. Hard to believe this was mowed in the spring. That's the plan - maintain in the spring and let it grow up for the fall and winter.

One of these days someone is going to ask me what the heck these are, but I'm not telling until they ask.:D

I posted this in another thread but wanted to save it in this one for future reference. Below is growth of a pear I planted this spring up to today. Looks like 9 feet of growth to me.

That's about it folks. Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
What's a Hunter's Choice pear?

It's one sold by WG.

Supposedly found growing at an old home place where Allen hunted and produced loads of fruit every year. He rated it average for FB resistance and said despite some signs of FB in bad years, it was always a heavy producer and stayed healthy.

Until this spring I had avoided it, because I wanted to plant only pears that were completely FB resistant. However, based on its history and the fact that it's a November dropper I decided to give it a try. I put out two of them.

They mystery item looks like fruit from Mars but I know it is for your new 360 degree security system.

Another great update as always, and what is the world is that mystery plant? I agree with Lake, and think it's other worldly.

Those are a finger, a thumb, and an apple.

Nice weed beds.

Tomorrow you'll find a case of canning jars from the cellar.

G

Another great update as always, and what is the world is that mystery plant? I agree with Lake, and think it's other worldly.

Brush, that is a Kousa Dogwood (Japanese Dogwood) fruit. This is the first year I have had fruit from it. I bought it as a novelty just because I had read about them. Actually, even though not a fruit I really enjoyed, I was surprised at the sweetness of the flesh. It tastes like a good sweet cantaloupe - only sweeter. I sliced them in 4 pieces and ate the center. You throw away the rind - just like a cantaloupe.

I had given up on it fruiting and planted an apple tree right up next to it this spring, with the intention of cutting it down. Guess I have an apple tree to move this fall.:D

Back