Whitetail Institute vs Biologic?

split toe

I was going to buy a clover/chicory blend, yall have any personal experience with either of these companies blends?

I am a big fan of their seed.
I used both of there products for over ten years and never had any problems. This past friday, I planted two plots One was Whitetail Winter Greens and the other was Biologic brassica. Back in March I also Frost seeded Biologic Non typical clover into a Whitetail Inst, clover plot that I planted last year. The clover plot looks great

I've used WI clover in the past but use cheaper coop any more. But it was the best and hardiest clover I've planted. Would certainly use it again if need be especially for plots of 1 ac or less due to costs. Used there chicory also, and it was decent but not overly impressive.

I bought a bag of the biologic clover on clearance this past winter at Walmart to fill in some bare spots. It had a couple varieties of clover I had never heard of so I looked them up and they were for northern climates so you might want to check that before you purchase.

Based on what I’ve seen in my perennial plots the past 4 years, I’m a big fan of WI clover. For the acreage that I’m planting, I don’t care that it costs more.

Gander Mountain is/was having a sale on WI products, with clover as well as fusion being under $20.00 a bag plus an opportunity of an additional 10% for signing up for emails. It is on back order for a few more days but $80.00 shipped for 4 bags, I can wait.

I plant WI products every year and they never disappoint me. I planted their clover + chicory mix this spring and it has turned out well even though it’s been very dry this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I been planting WI clover and oats for the last 6 years and it's works great. Just ordered WI Oats Plus today to use as a cover crop for a WI clover fall planting.

If I plant clover, it's gonna be WI clover. I have a bag of Fusion (clover and chicory) just waiting for the weather patterns to change. I've seldom failed to get 4/5 years out of it if I did my maintenence on time. Another WI product I've had pretty good luck with is Extreme. Got a bag of it waiting also for a spot that's too sandy for clover. As Scott said, it's the only b o b seed I'll buy.

WTI clover is great along with PTT. If your doing big acreage, save $$ and buy at co-op. My wife bought me a bag of WTI Ambush this year so I used it on a small plot. I can say this is a very bad combination. The seed sizes in here vary in size WAY too much. Lupine and winter pea seeds are very big and should be buried like 3/4-inch deep while the other seeds are tiny ( brassica) size and should just be broadcasted and Cultipacked. It bothered me so much that I wrote a review on the WTI website but of course it never got posted. I just can’t believe they would put a mix together like that.

WTI clover is great along with PTT. If your doing big acreage, save $$ and buy at co-op. My wife bought me a bag of WTI Ambush this year so I used it on a small plot. I can say this is a very bad combination. The seed sizes in here vary in size WAY too much. Lupine and winter pea seeds are very big and should be buried like 3/4-inch deep while the other seeds are tiny ( brassica) size and should just be broadcasted and Cultipacked. It bothered me so much that I wrote a review on the WTI website but of course it never got posted. I just can’t believe they would put a mix together like that.

I plant very few blends, but if I do I research what seeds are in it. If they're not depth compatible, I won't use it. Your wife can be excused though !:) Mine has bought me some things in our early years that I would have never bought, but she's over that now.

Yes. That’s the last bag mine will ever buy me and it was the first. Germination rates can’t be good with those seed sizes.

Sounds like the ONLY way you could use seeds of various sizes would be throw and mow. Can't just broadcast it on top of bare ground and expect it will work for all seeds and you can't try to cover with disc or tiller because the small seeds will end up too deep. The seed companies have to know this don't they? Buy individual seeds and make your own or plant the big first and cover them up--then small seeds broadcasted and packed on top.jmo

I’ve had good results with whitetail institute clover. My plot is going on year #3 and looks great. I overseeded last week with the same product to thicken it up. It probably would have rebounded from the summer heat soon but figured a few extra seeds couldn’t hurt

I’ve had good results with whitetail institute clover. My plot is going on year #3 and looks great. I overseeded last week with the same product to thicken it up. It probably would have rebounded from the summer heat soon but figured a few extra seeds couldn’t hurt

As most of you know it gets very hot here, but my WINA clover always comes back in the fall. It takes a lot of faith to not disc it up sometimes when it looks like melted plastic in the middle of August, but if you let it go, the first rains and cooler weather of fall will have it viable again.

Back