"Whitetail Hollow" - 90 Acres NE Oklahoma.

Too bad about your wife's buck, maybe she will get a second chance on him! Is the rut in southeast OK around McAllester the same as your area? We are heading over there the day after Thanksgiving, hopefully they are still chasing.

Too bad about your wife's buck, maybe she will get a second chance on him! Is the rut in southeast OK around McAllester the same as your area? We are heading over there the day after Thanksgiving, hopefully they are still chasing.

McAlester rut runs closely with ours. I expect rifle season which begins the Saturday before thanksgiving to be good!

Been lax on my thread since been bowhunting a lot here on our 80 so here are a few pictures...

Rye grain and radishes!

a554e57e4fa67a7efce815b692493bcf.jpg

33988bb1b723f4f434a9ae2498299301.jpg

42d7c0c31ead9b848469c49a67426fa6.jpg

0b07a76b258e8bb3fc67f56601fd18fe.jpg

New tree I set a stand up in. Been a buck parade through there ever since I set it up 2 days ago!

4a9c31fef33705831f3780b0440043d2.jpg

568e73f40d099eb33bae41c8e1bb2a3b.jpg

d5e37399705abfff69a9605044b724f0.jpg

Critter living in my tree with me...

aa53c644815a6248e7ae99e641c2c5fd.jpg

688b52d8e27435e26bf23a04c853701d.jpg

485e75da1abd457252e90237723d9378.jpg

5a1190581c05fdb33398140ec749e542.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitting a new stand because wife saw 2 shooters here this morning...picture she took...look close!

36b12bf16095b23f0added3daff7d4e6.jpg

My views...

42aeeee48af6c4770cc212720ac35bb3.jpg

bec6b2c1de01bd337f61ac523d265042.jpg

fa48a72594fe50c16cceaeb6212ba6f7.jpg

Close to home and wifi in my tree ;)

046cde486bd4233f5e68316fe6bc50cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like ba has a bit of a Napolean complex! Doesn't seem to happy to be sharing the same tree. Cool pic. Just got back from the farm after spending much of last week there. Had my annual visit from a good friend from Omaha. Plenty of deer seen but no shooters. Best part of the week was waking up yesterday morning to rain for the 1st time since mid September. Forgot what it looked like and how beautiful cloudy skies appeared. Hoping it was enough to turn plots from dirt to green.

You won't spook many deer walking out to the stand.

A toothy little bugger.

I texted my wife last night and told her to turn the porch light on and come out clapping her hands to spook the deer off so I could get down..lol

G
Looks like ba has a bit of a Napolean complex! Doesn't seem to happy to be sharing the same tree. Cool pic. Just got back from the farm after spending much of last week there. Had my annual visit from a good friend from Omaha. Plenty of deer seen but no shooters. Best part of the week was waking up yesterday morning to rain for the 1st time since mid September. Forgot what it looked like and how beautiful cloudy skies appeared. Hoping it was enough to turn plots from dirt to green.

That little bat kind of freaked me out since my head was resting on that section of the pine tree most of the morning...he sure did a lot of squeaking and he bit a piece of bark I was touching him with pretty good. I didn't harm him in any way because I think bats are cool and kill some stuff I really don't like (mosquito's). He flew away with authority when he left out all of a sudden like...

I saw 2 shooters over the past week in person but as we all know when bowhunting seeing and getting are 2 different things but our rifle season opens this weekend and seeing and getting will get a lot closer together at that time. I had lots of opportunities at several 2.5 yr olds and even a couple 3.5 yr olds this past week but nothing tripped my trigger...

I am really glad you were able to get some rain. We got 3/10's on the 7th and have a very/very low chance at some rain on this Friday when a big cold front rolls in. Supposed to be 80's again this week and then dropping to 50's Friday and Saturday just in time for Rifle to begin. Should be lots of deer down with those conditions for the opener...

Getting a little antsy...

I took my card reader out last night after dark and looked at trail cam pictures and I still have big bucks moving in daylight even though we have a supermoon going on. First grey light, noon-2:00, and last light occasionally. Noon - 2:00 seems to be when I get the largest deer on camera. I forgot to take spare cards with me so I just put the cards right back in the trail cams with pictures intact and left.

Cameras will really bum you out sometimes though...On the 13th I left the woods just after noon and was captured by my camera and headed to town for a haircut. When I checked the camera last night I had a picture of my #2 buck on it at a little after 1:00...I should have pulled an all day that day because it is the day my wife told me about the big bucks chasing does in our backyard and our backyard isn't that far from where I was...

Getting excited for this weekend. Major cold front on the way. I'll be guiding my oldest daughter this weekend.
Good luck to your daughter for this weekend - she has a good guide so with the right weather should have a great opportunity!

I am hoping to guide my grandson Eli to something during the general firearms season opening this weekend...

Haven't updated in awhile and just want to drop a line or 2...

10 day stint didn't result in a deer. Rut is basically done here now...bucks and does on major feeding patterns right now. Trail cam showed 1 of my shooters in our backyard yesterday evening well before dark but I was checking on our other house so I missed it :(

I now have another 4 days to rifle hunt before our rifle season ends on Sunday. I think my odds are good even though wind directions are not going to be ideal. I will try to get pics of plots tomorrow. I saw one in the dark last night while checking cameras and it looks like the deer are absolutely destroying them.

Thanks for reading...

Good luck on your last 4 days of rifle. Sounds like you need to hang out by the kitchen window!
Our deer seem to have gone steady nocturnal, which normally happens around Dec 1 after a couple weeks of rifle season. I am hoping almost four inches of rain over the last couple of days will green things up at the farm. Got a nine year old grandson who is ready to go!!

Wild deal with your bat. Thanks for showing. Go get that buck, Okie. Deer here are moving back into fields but heavy acorn crop keeps then out till near dark. I finally left the stand despite dry conditions, and went old school, still hunting, and managed to take an 8 in thick brush. Tough hunting here with acorns, fires, and weather issues I suppose. I suspect harvest will be down statewide 20-40%.

Last 4 days of rifle season here in Oklahoma. Had an interesting encounter with a big buck before daylight as I was trying to creep silently through the woods to my stand in the middle of our 80. I was easing along and mere yards from my stand when I heard a single deer walking to my right going away from me and not spooked. I stood for a minute and listened to the footsteps move away and then started easing along again and the deer turned and walked right to me. The buck got to within 10 feet and I figured that was close enough so I turned my red lense hat light on and big rack and eyeballs were right in my face...he bounded about 20 yards, snorted, and then ran to my south and west. I was kind of concerned when he walked seemingly unafraid right to me.

I got in my stand and heard numerous other deer walking in the leaves in the creek bottom but before shooting light all were gone. Between 7:30 and 8:30 I constantly had does and fawns in sight seeing 11 total.

21 and calm when I got out here and now I have a breeze from the east. 8:56 am here now...

Back