What happened to my brassicas

buckhunter10

Ok all so I have planted many brassica plots. I have one behind the house that is killer!

However, this year I had a plot growing fantastic! I had huge leaves coming in, I was super excited about it. I had top dressed it with UREA and got a TON of rain about an hour after I top dressed it with UREA. I did this to a few other plots as well.

Long story short, this week I checked my brassicas in this plot and they were few/far between. I had a lot of weed competition and not any real great brassicas growing at all.....Could I have got too much rain, and that chocked them out?

What's your deer density? Do you have an exclusion cage put up? Did you check for browsing in the plot? Any pics?

What's your deer density? Do you have an exclusion cage put up? Did you check for browsing in the plot? Any pics?

Yes I have exclusion fence put up. I was so disgusted in it I didn't take any pictures. Deer density is medium, not super high or low.

I would definitely check for browsing activity. I always put an exclusion cage in my plots so I can tell what exactly is going on.

I would definitely check for browsing activity. I always put an exclusion cage in my plots so I can tell what exactly is going on.

Yes I have an exclusion fence and I did notice that the brassicas were looking ok in side of it. I had a camera on plot to monitor activity. I had deer in it but not anything crazy that would make me suspect over browsing.

Brassica do not like too much moisture, that could be the problem. But I bet it is browse. I've always had good luck with deer loving brassica, but I think this will be my last year for them in such quantity. They just attack them anymore as they grow leaving nothing come season. I blamed it last year on a long drought, but not so this year. I've got video of them browsing what looks like dirt as they feed on the new sprouts. No way will get bulbs for winter. Either of those things could be you problem, good news, you have other stuff growing in there. Do as me, and overseed with grain next month. Good luck.

Yes I have an exclusion fence and I did notice that the brassicas were looking ok in side of it. I had a camera on plot to monitor activity. I had deer in it but not anything crazy that would make me suspect over browsing.
Did the brassicas in the exclusion cage look big and leafy like before or were they small and bare looking like the rest of the plot?

Brassica do not like too much moisture, that could be the problem. But I bet it is browse. I've always had good luck with deer loving brassica, but I think this will be my last year for them in such quantity. They just attack them anymore as they grow leaving nothing come season. I blamed it last year on a long drought, but not so this year. I've got video of them browsing what looks like dirt as they feed on the new sprouts. No way will get bulbs for winter. Either of those things could be you problem, good news, you have other stuff growing in there. Do as me, and overseed with grain next month. Good luck.
Looks like dogghr has got it figured out.

Here is the thing

1. I have a brassica plot up the hill from there 70 yards maybe. It is full of brassicas. Now it had some weed competition but the brassicas look great in the plot. I also have 3 acres of beans that are getting browsed but not overly bad. I also have another plot of oats,brassicas in the back that is full of huge brassicas heads. I am not sure what could be causing this issue other than browsing mixed with over moisture.

The ones in cage looked better than others but not great. Kinda looked weathered and almost like bugs could have eaten them.

Good news. I overseed with winter rye and some brassicas I had left over this week!

Here is the thing

1. I have a brassica plot up the hill from there 70 yards maybe. It is full of brassicas. Now it had some weed competition but the brassicas look great in the plot. I also have 3 acres of beans that are getting browsed but not overly bad. I also have another plot of oats,brassicas in the back that is full of huge brassicas heads. I am not sure what could be causing this issue other than browsing mixed with over moisture.

The ones in cage looked better than others but not great. Kinda looked weathered and almost like bugs could have eaten them.

Good news. I overseed with winter rye and some brassicas I had left over this week!
I've found you can never go wrong with winter rye. My soils are sandy and I am working to improve them so winter rye is my go to fall foodplot forage. In fact I'm heading up to do my fall winter rye plantings this weekend.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Back