We are Tree Guys

Started planting trees back in 2001 and went full force till around 2010.
Focused mainly on oaks, hybrid oaks, apples and chestnuts to start with. Then looked at filling the gap of beneficial shrubs that produce both soft and hard mast for wildlife and those beneficial for pollinators.
Focus mainly on the shotgun approach where several species are planted in close proximity and keep the most suitable one.
Deer densities are so high that everything has to be caged to see any progress.

Have switched mainly to TSI work now since most all the species I wanted on the farm and there and producing.

Far as tree passions go, The American Chestnut definitely wins that category. Would love to go out and help the ACCF collect, plant and maintain their nurseries and get to see a large, live 100% American Chestnut. This is as close as I have come....missed it barely as they cut this giant down at the Morton Estate in NE City so all I got to see what the stump sprout. Be taking the kids back up there sometime since its been a few years now since it was cut.

Well that it explains it I got an "A" in Great Plains Forestry at the UNL..... Go Huskers!:p

I love baby trees( after all,I am TreeDaddy!!)

I started planting bare root trees from arborgen @60$/100 trees in 1/14

I have planted persimmon,pear,apple,plum,DCO,ACs,crabapples,and sawtooths as well as 2000 virginia pine and 1000eastern red cedar

Biggest problem is east texas summer heat/drought

Currently have 110 chestnuts in RBIIs and 150 shumards in root pouch at home in backyard

I follow everything written by wayne,matt , and Jack Yoder(WHERE THE H*** IS JACK!!!!!!!)

bill

With 110 Chestnuts you can plant 3 or 4 orchards. With the temperatures you will battle you have to get good at planting and managing your trees. RBIIs are a great container to use. Thanks for posting on this thread. We will have any discussions elsewhere.

My totals are probably more like 20,000 and I've got my varsity letter Fish.

I would have gotten an A too if I only had two trees to identify, juniperus virginanus, and populus deltoides.

G

[QUOTE="dogdoc, post: 7539, member: 16"

My only regrets with trees is that I wish I would have started planting trees 12 years ago when I bought my place.

Todd[/QUOTE]
A wise man once said "The best time to plant a tree was yesterday. The next best time is today".

I would have gotten an A too if I only had two trees to identify, juniperus virginanus, and populus deltoides.
G

Well we have a few more than that!!;) But point taken. It sure was a lot easier than range class where we had to learn to identify the 200 most common range plants!!:eek:

My totals are probably more like 20,000 and I've got my varsity letter Fish.

G

Ya, i knew i was probably pushing it. ;).

Well we have a few more than that!!;) But point taken. It sure was a lot easier than range class where we had to learn to identify the 200 most common range plants!!:eek:

Ouch. 200 plants! Ive forgotten most things from botany class that i was tested on. I know the botany ive since become passionate about.
Ok wpbdeer, back to intros...

Over 40 years ago I was in a forestry class at Northeast Missouri State University, as the professor walked us around campus, pointing out trees and asking what they were? As fast as he'd point to a tree, I'd call out the answer, and it reached the point where people were saying, "Who is that guy"? I was equally amazed at how little students from the Saint Louis and Kansas City areas knew about trees! Most outdoorsmen know way more about trees than they give themselves credit for! Considering the competition I didn't have to work very hard for an A, though don't ask me what I got in Botany.

Ouch. 200 plants!
Yea we said that alot! I dont remember my final grade in that class, doubt it was an A but I think I did alright. Funny how I can still have one of those days when I am walking across the pasture and the scientific names for everything come flooding back and then other days I cant remember squat.

Yea we said that alot! I dont remember my final grade in that class, doubt it was an A but I think I did alright. Funny how I can still have one of those days when I am walking across the pasture and the scientific names for everything come flooding back and then other days I cant remember squat.
It only gets worse, I know so many things I can't remember!

I don't qualify as a tree guy per se as I am among giants on this thread that have done so much. But I think I can relate. I did my first graft as a 3rd grader for a science project. I have traipsed since a kid thru the forests of millions of acres of this state with books in hand learning all I could of the forests and its interactions. I've climbed mountain tops to burrow thru virgin red spruce embedded with rhododendron thickets too thick to walk thru, thru the mix stage growth of the towering white and red oak , and down along the river bottoms where the giant sycamore grows. I've compared clear cuts to selective cuts to transitional growth into abandoned fields. I've looked close and studied the giant redwood of the west coast to the knarly ancient growth of the bristle cone pine. I've gazed upon the 900+ year old eastern red cedar hidden along a ridge in WV. And all the while intertwined their processes with every living organism beneath them. So no, I'm not the tree gurus you guys definitely are, but trust me, I am a tree guy. Thanks for everyone's shared information, I enjoy it more than you know.

This tree guy is collecting for another go at adding to the count. Got one pound of DCO from Blitz - man they grow slow but I intend to do better than last year.

Got some Concordia Acorns coming. Got 25 large Bur coming for direct seeding. Put both doors on my greenhouse today. Told my wife - now I have a greenhouse.

Been checking my Chinese Chestnut source trees - they are still holding. Got some Allegheny Chinkapin on my farm with burs - I am like a young child at Christmas over those. Also, got some Chinese Sequin at the farm with burs - makes me act silly to finally see my efforts begin to produce limited results.

Yea - I am a tree guy. Also, glad to see other tree guys that have become members on this forum in the last 2 or 3 weeks. Welcome!

This tree guy is collecting for another go at adding to the count. Got one pound of DCO from Blitz - man they grow slow but I intend to do better than last year.

Got some Concordia Acorns coming. Got 25 large Bur coming for direct seeding. Put both doors on my greenhouse today. Told my wife - now I have a greenhouse.

Been checking my Chinese Chestnut source trees - they are still holding. Got some Allegheny Chinkapin on my farm with burs - I am like a young child at Christmas over those. Also, got some Chinese Sequin at the farm with burs - makes me act silly to finally see my efforts begin to produce limited results.

Yea - I am a tree guy. Also, glad to see other tree guys that have become members on this forum in the last 2 or 3 weeks. Welcome!

Wayne,

I am just as bad

I planted 100 bare root ACs 11/14 and several now have burs!!! I am plain giddy!!!!

also started 4 trays DCOs fr Troy now in utility room. Will put them in fridge ~ 3 weeks after radicles emerge

~100 chinese chestnuts and ~150 shumards in 1 gallon RBIIs/root pouches "hangin in there" surviving texas heat waiting for fall

Keep planting!! No complaining!!! (TreeDaddy rules)

bill

A great time of year for all "tree guys." Trees are dropping or they are close to dropping.

Limbs that were straight all summer now are pointing toward the ground. Get your buckets clean and hit those locations. As luck has it, I am off to a great start. Hope you are too! :D

Back