Watering hole? Pros and cons

I have an area on the side of my mountain that a spring fills our holding tank. I often thought about having the overflow run into a pooling area for a watering hole. My question is, is it even worth my time since they could just drink it right from the ground or do you think they would utilize a fresh source of pooling water? If you think they would use it, how big of pool or trough would be good? I would have it set up to have a constant flow of water? Thanks for your thoughts and input

My experience is mature bucks will prefer a mudhole to a metal or plastic tank with fresher water. Does and young bucks less so. Seen it many times.

Last edited:
I have placed several small waterholes, and while they get used some, not a big attraction as some areas. But I do think they would prefer a muddy hole as has been said. I think areas of the NE tend to have enough green growth that our deer get most their water needs from their browse. I would do it, but not so sure it will be a hunting attraction. With that said, I plan to add another. So go figure.

I have placed several small waterholes, and while they get used some, not a big attraction as some areas. But I do think they would prefer a muddy hole as has been said. I think areas of the NE tend to have enough green growth that our deer get most their water needs from their browse. I would do it, but not so sure it will be a hunting attraction. With that said, I plan to add another. So go figure.
I'm not thinking about it for a hunting attraction, more or less just a convenience for the animals. Maybe I'll just take the loader and dig a little hole and put a camera up to see if anything uses it.

I put in a 5K square foot pond on my property. The nearest natural water sources are over a 1 1/2 miles away. I needed to get a $25 permit from the zoning office to dig my pond. It is plumbed with it's own pump in a 6 inch rotary drilled well and a computer system that pumps water to it during the off peak electric rate times. It is a great draw for all types of wildlife. I made it real simple to winterize by just using a valve system and an air compressor. One of the really great improvements I did on my land. I also have areas where I have placed some food grade 55 gallon drums cut in half as rain water catchers. They get used also.

I have thought about adding a watering hole at the bottom of my largest field, but given I have a spring that flows down the mountain and a brook that flows into a beaver pond within a couple of hundred yards it makes me wonder if it would be worth it.

I have a few holes someone years back dug on my property but they don't hold water. I have filled one in and there a couple left. I am filling one more in eventually but the other would make a good watering hole. It's in a bottom but all sand. I remember watching a video on the old forum about sealing ponds so they don't leak. What was that powder used and do you think it would work for this?

Ive tried using a watering hole, but its just too dry and our irrigation system tends to suck out most of the ground water, so I use the Banks Wild Water, holds 80 gallons, works great! Super durable, have two I've been running year round for three years and zero complaints.

Attachments

• IMG_2682.JPG
    IMG_2682.JPG
    729.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2911.JPG
    IMG_2911.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a few holes someone years back dug on my property but they don't hold water. I have filled one in and there a couple left. I am filling one more in eventually but the other would make a good watering hole. It's in a bottom but all sand. I remember watching a video on the old forum about sealing ponds so they don't leak. What was that powder used and do you think it would work for this?

I bought liners from Auquabiologist from Fon Du Lac. This one cost me about $100. One year in I am very happy. It wouldn't hold water without the liner. The deer used it immediately
IMG_6861.JPG

Back