Upstate Obsession

Same boat. We certainly didn't need this. Coyotes are licking their chops.

Chummer, we were down to bare ground 24 hours ago....

Lak, when I tell people we're approach 17 acres of plots, they tell me I'm nuts (I acknowledge being obsessed). We do it precisely to fatten them up and prepare them for March which is when most starvation occurs. We lost 1/2 our herd two years ago and I vowed to do my damnnest to see there was plenty of late season eats. If the forecast holds true, I don't expect to see bare ground until mid April. Crossing my fingers....

Love the diversity of properties on this site. Down here we've had such a mild winter without a hint of snow. Coldest temps of the season were last night in the mid 20s. Forecasted for upper 60s by Friday. You guys look like you were getting dumped on up there. The standing corn must surely be getting hammered this week.

This late snow is going to take its toll. The day before the storm here I saw 30+ deer in two fields (in North/central VT this isnt normal). Now we have 24+" of snow. Poor things cant catch a break. Everyone around here is saying how easy they had it all winter here, but its this late stuff that does them in!

I'm concerned. We got 2' more than was forecast. Had I'd known, I'd have cut a bunch of trees down. With colder than normal temps forecast the next 3 weeks, I'm not happy.

Our entire February was 70's and 80's and spring sprung and then the cold came back the past few days and killed spring dead :mad:

I couldn't imagine having to deal with snow like you guys do...I really hate snow...

Today the temperature hit 29 and a lot of snow evaporated. The sun was out all day and it is so strong this time of year. On your south facing slopes the snow on sunny days may drop down quickly. It may not be as bad as it seems. The deer are in great shape so they can take a tough week or two without much effect. The coyotes have a tough time wading thru this stuff as long as it stays soft as it is now.

Had cut a bunch of large poplar via cutting them halfway thru; The wind took care of the job for me from there. Wish I did more ;the deer really took to it. Next year February tree dropping will be expanded. Planting those south slopes and field crests in mid August or so with triticale will be planned for helping the deer again next winter. Additional turnips of course will be key for us as well.

I think cutting trees will become a regular activity here next February. I've got a big stand of poplars adjacent to a heavily used piece of thermal cover (8 acres hemlocks). I'm also going to break my rule about monocultures and plant an acre of turnips next year hoping they're left alone till March. Rutabagas, Winfred, Radish and DER get hit too early--I'm talking about pure starvation prevention. Pretty sobering to do all the habitat work and see a single storm threaten a balanced population.

Exactly Tom! Planting more corn brings in the masses from everywhere but the lowly turnip may go unnoticed and maybe someday we may even be fencing an acre of turnips until February. I'm hoping that as I cut from one end of each poplar stand to another over the years that the sprouts will follow the cutting each year and provide some extra late winter food as well. I have noticed that the tree top poplar buds were in high demand when dropped in February but the poplar root sprouts not as much--some eaten but not a lot until the last couple of weeks.

Deer have also been hitting the recently dropped trees of all varieties from apple tree releasing done in late February/early March as well. Right this minute though the deer are in the triticale pawing away.

Last edited:
IMAG0471.JPG Time for another update. Spring appears to be coming to the north country. It's a much needed change. Things are just starting to show some green.

IMG_0278.JPG I found these 3 sheds today. They were in plots I've walked numerous times the last several weeks. I guess the light was just right today. The matched set is of a 2 year old, and I'd guess the big one is from a 4 or 5 year old (our number 3 buck). This will give you some idea of the genetics in this part of the country (not great). I hope to find some more the next couple days.

Last edited:
I walked through our corn/beans and there's still a lot corn left over. Last year, they finished it off late April/early May. It nice to now they won't starve during the difficult weeks before greenup. I've got lots of clean up to do--all the snow melting and the heavy rains uncovered one of my culverts. Turkeys are strutting and oblivious to the world around them right now. Hope they're still doing their thing when the season opens 5/1. I've got way too many turkeys on my place and they're really tough on the corn and bean sprouts pulling up the young plant to get to the seeds.

View attachment 6758 I found these 3 sheds today. They were in plots I've walked numerous times the last several weeks. I guess the light was just right today. The matched set is of a 2 year old, and I'd guess the big one is from a 4 or 5 year old (our number 3 buck). This will give you some idea of the genetics in this part of the country (not great). I hope to find some more the next couple days.
Good find on the sheds;they look to be very fresh for so late. According to Ozaga studies, late antler dropping in the north can be a sign of animals being in well nourished and in top condition. It won't surprise me if in a few years more of "less deer-more food" if the antlers improve in your area or mine and others who are striving to improve the winter food production on their property.

Genes makeup is of course changeable. Local hunters have taken a handful of deer between 150 and 172 in this area that I have seen.Sure each was rare here and a wild card. However if one 'wild card" had bred to a related doe those genes could have doubled up and produced some more of that wild card. A few lucky wild card match ups later along with great year round food and the genes could suddenly be there in the right combinations. No I have no science knowledge on this but do know what I have seen in crossing daylilies;it is amazing how desired and not desired traits can be encouraged. Of course with the wild deer we are relying on chance crossings but still it can easily happen.

And that is either a very small table you have those shed antlers on or maybe they aren't that bad of a start. Possibly the genes are already there for larger antler traits but the deer simply need continuous years of year round ample nutrition from birth to maturity for it to happen.

Ended up finding 4 more (1 31/2-the rest were 21/2). Have to step on the damn things when tine aren't pointing up to find them. Most were in the rutabagas. Haven't found one in the corn but it is impossible to see through all pushed over stalks. I'm sure there are some dandies that will be obliviated by the bush hog when we start cutting the every thing up to prepare for planting in a few weeks. Dave, I suspect it will take a while to see the true potential. A MS study suggested it takes 2 generations to see full benefits of improved nutrition on wild deer. The big shed we found scored 58 by itself (it was the weaker side). I've hopes there's some more potential to be found.

Tom, that is excellent finding more sheds. It's unreal how they can be so hard to spot on some and so easy on others. I'll try another walkthru my turnips today and see if i missed any with my quick walkthru.
Do you still an appreciable amount of corn on ears in your corn field? 58 is getting up there when the spread is added in. I'd be very happy knowing that deer is still around. I guessed it would probably take a whole generation but had no idea it might take two to hit peak potential of the then current genetics. That's very interesting and impossible to happen without our directed efforts to have natural food available throughout the winter.

Dave, I'd gues there's still a 500-1000 ears. Bears are hitting it hard, the deer, less since the rye started to green up. I'll see if I can find the link to the MS study. I think I found it on the old site. I found sheds on my 7 or 8th time through the rutabaga plot. All those stalks make it a real challenge. I've also found different light helps. I found tines up sheds that were damned near glowing in the sun, but with different light had been missed. I'll bet there's a dozen in our corn plots and I'm not optimistic I'll find any.

Back