Upstate Obsession

Good bird Tom. Calling then in is a good hunt no matter what your blind looks like. Glad you were able to have a good hunt. I like your choice of lawn plants. I think our lawn will be changed over to a deer friendly mixture this fall. There is no sense in letting open space not produce optimum plants for the wildlife.

Thanks guys. The front yard is a mixture of clovers and chicory with a mix of grasses and weeds I've struggled to control. Still, I've had as many as 15 deer in the front yard at the same time.

IMG_1215.JPG Time for a quick update. Between ongoing health challenges and saturated fields, it's been a real challenge getting our corn/beans in. With some help from some friends, we did get 3 acres in. We brush hogged, disced, raked residue and broadcast fertilizer and seed. This was then disced in and cultipacked. Our most productive plot is still too wet to even begin working the ground. With another 13/4" rain set for this week, my options are limited. At least the 3 acres wil get a good soaking this week.

Looking good elk- I hear you on the rain!!! We planted - hope we didn't push it. Sorry to hear about your health issues- hope the summer finds you in good health! Bucks are looking good- about the same "best growth" for me- most are still 1-2" nothings.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Farmhunter, I planted 91 day corn in one plot and 86 in another. If things will dry out the next 10 days, I'm confident the 86 day will still produce. If not, I've got to come up with a plan B. I don't think a stand alone acre of beans will survive the browse pressure. I'll probably plant the an extra acre of rutabagas--they really excelled last year.

Bear got into my fetilizer. Hope he disliked the taste of 6-24-24. If my planting corn every year is going embolden and keep hem close, I may transition to something else.IMG_1230.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_0032.JPG 10 minutes later, this guy came by..... I don't know what black bear predation of whitetail fawns is. I know in well documented studies in Idaho, black bears are responsible for 30%+ of all calf elk mortality. Makes me wonder what's going on at my place.

Last edited:
And what else did my cameras show this week? Another shithead trespasser. The guy parked at gate complete with no trespassing signs and spent 30 minutes on my place with a metal detector. I think I know who he is. When confirmed, I'll press charges and simultaneously file a civil action. I'm going to make an example of him.

Back