Tikka T3 .243. Help!

swat1018

I'm trying to help out a less fortunate kid. He's actually my best friend's grandson. He is young, and small, but loves to hunt. I just acquired a Tikka T3, composite/stainless with Nikon glass. The rifle looked hardly used. I immediately checked out the scope mounts, because the cross hairs were noticeably out of level. I immediately found that not only were the rings not torqued correctly, one screw on each ring was barely tight. After seeing this, I took the scope and mounts off and started all over, reinstalling and torquing everything correctly. So, I know the scope and mounting is good.

I know the Tikka is a fine made rifle, but I can not get it to shoot well. Best group I could get at 200 was about 2". I shot several more three shot groups, some 4" at 200. Used 3 different factory rounds.

Does anyone own a T3 in .243 that can point me to a readily available factory load that does well in your T3. I know it really isn't necessary, but I'm looking for sub-MOA.

I don't know your shooting ability, but it takes an extremely steady hand and good eyesight to stay sub MOA at 200 yds with any rifle and factory shells. I would be group testing at 100 yards, and then checking for POI later at 200 yds. Here are some thoughts:

• I don't know which shells you used, but if its just run of the mill ammo, (Winchester, Federal, Remington, etc.) there is not enough quality control to consistently give sub MOA with most off the shelf rifles. I've seen numerous gun tests, and even with high priced rifles, consistent sub MOA generally is only achieved with the highest quality ammo, and not all high quality ammo - only the particular one that the particular gun likes. This run of the mill ammo is just fine for most deer hunting, but you are looking for performance above what is required for most deer hunting.
  • Hornady Superformance is extremely consistent, and if a gun likes it, you can get some great groups - but if the gun doesn't necessarily like the load, results may not be that good. But to get the kind of performance you are looking for (and doing it on a consistent basis) you have to use a premium ammo that the gun likes (Hornady, Black Hills, Nosler, etc.).
  • Light barreled rifles will shoot tighter groups if you give the barrel some cooling time. Some guns are also a little touchy about how clean the barrel is. Some shoot better dirty and others better clean.
  • So, try some different premium ammos with different bullet weights. A 243 that doesn't shoot a 100 grain bullet well might be a tack driver with a particular 85 grain bullet. Some guns are more touchy than others and you just have to experiment.
  • When you test the gun, shoot another gun and load at the same time that has proven to be capable of sub MOA to make sure that you are capable of shooting that well. This gives you a baseline for performance.
  • If you fail to get sub MOA, decide if you really need that for the hunting that will be done. Sub MOA is not necessary for most deer hunting.
Best wishes, and thanks for helping a young guy get into hunting.

Last edited:
What native hunter said.2 inch group at 200 yards is average shooting. You said Nikon glass but if it is just a 3 to 9 power that is about all to be expected.

I hear ya. Sub-MOA really isn't necessary for the kid probably, nor do the deer/coyotes care, but they're out there, and he's going to own one hopefully. I have an addiction to accuracy, I won't own a rifle for long if it won't shoot. I attended the Carlos Hathcock Sniper School, and afterwards had a custom rifle built by one of the instructors for work. I later had a second .308 built by him, for personal use. Same action, same scope, same trigger. Lighter profile barrel and different stock to hunt with. It's a one-hole rifle at 200, whenever I do my part. I tried a Winchester, and two different Federal rounds, in 85 and 100gr. I have 3 more factory ammos to try next. Need to find a factory round it likes, for simplicity sake. I agree with you on the Superformance. Have a Model 700 .223 that is an amazing shooter, and that's it's fuel of choice...

Two inch groups at 200 yds with factory loads and 243 is about as good as prob can do with out of the box rifle. Might try another scope as I have seen problems with scopes before. Your ammo is new??? so I've also seen prob using old cartridges. Both make for some funny/aggravating stories.

Carlos Hathcock was a true American hero and a man to be admired.

Sounds like you have some good background in shooting. Just remember what I said about consistency and run of the mill factory ammo - and also that even with premium ammo you have to find the one (or ones) that the particular gun likes.

PS: I'm affected with the same "accuracy disease" that you have. I understand your pain................

Good luck............

Last edited:
Carlos Hathcock was a true American hero and a man to be admired.

Sounds like you have some good background in shooting. Just remember what I said about consistency and run of the mill factory ammo.

PS: I'm affected with the same "accuracy disease" that you have. I understand your pain................

Good luck............

Ya. I went to the school in 2007, sadly, Carlos had already passed.

If it isn't crazy accurate, I just can't own it -- someone else will be glad to shoot it. I am no fan of Nikon glass either. Not sure why, just prefer Leupold or Zeiss. I did shoot the rifle at 100, also. Again, it wasn't stellar, best was around 1.25 - 1.5, just an educated guess without measuring. I'm not giving up yet, going to keep feeding it different stuff until I throw in the towel.

A rifle always has a round it shoots best, but in the great rifles, there isn't much difference......

To illustrate some points made, below is a link to a test with an extremely accurate Tactical rifle done by Sniper Central. They used 15 different Match Grade Ammos in the same gun under very controlled conditions.

Keep in mind that all the ammo used was Match Grade - so the best of the best.

While all did very well, the worst ammo for the gun gave groups 2.316 times larger than the best ammo for the gun - over double the size.

So, my point is - if an extremely accurate Tactical rifle's groups can vary this much when using Match Ammo - How much more of a difference could ammo make using an off the shelf Tikka and a host of different non-match ammos? 2.5 inch groups with one ammo could easily become sub moa with another.

Thought you might enjoy reading this. Best wishes.

http://www.snipercentral.com/308-match-ammo-comparison-168gr/#table

Last edited:
Chasing crazy accurate with a factory rifle and factory ammunition is likely to get expensive, given the cost of factory ammunition these days. Learn to reload if you enjoy chasing that type of accuracy. If it is for the kid, get a decent load and get the kid hunting. Federal Fusion is usually a pretty accurate factory offering and perform very well on game. I would buy a box of those and go hunting.

I always hear people sing the praises of the Superformance ammo. I ran it through an X-Bolt 25-06 that absolutely hated it. I'm talking 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards. That gun loves Nosler Trophy Grade though, will give sub-moa with it.

I always hear people sing the praises of the Superformance ammo. I ran it through an X-Bolt 25-06 that absolutely hated it. I'm talking 4-5 inch groups at 100 yards. That gun loves Nosler Trophy Grade though, will give sub-moa with it.

Thanks. That proves the point I've been making.

They all have a round they prefer. I have 4 more boxes of factory ammo to try, plus need to pick up a box of Superformance. If none of the 5 make the grade, it's gone. I understand every rifle has a favorite round, I also understand that some think what I'm after is obsessive. I want this to be a rifle the kid can keep a lifetime, I want it to be all it can be. It's not like sub-MOA rifles aren't out there, I own quite a few. Heck my Dad's Remington 743 Woodmaster, not even a bolt gun, is in there.

I have a Tikka 25-06 and it's a tack driver. My daughter shoots a Rem 243. It really likes the 85 grain loads. Go any heavier and MOA gets worse. You have a great gun, just need to find the right load.

I have a Tikka 25-06 and it's a tack driver. My daughter shoots a Rem 243. It really likes the 85 grain loads. Go any heavier and MOA gets worse. You have a great gun, just need to find the right load.

I think so too, that's why I bought the T3. The search was on. Was just hoping someone had the same rifle and may have a favorite I could start with...

I'm not surprised. Congratulations....

It's really what I expected. I'm familiar with rifles liking one round over another, but there were some groups pushing 4" at 100 Saturday. 3 shots that could almost be covered by a quarter makes me feel much better!

I have a .243 Tikka and with handloads it shoots ragged hole groups. I've only shot 3 boxes of factor ammo through it, but at worst it was just over an inch, so your 2 inch groups at 200 are roughly on par if we take into account the fact that there are other factors beyond rifle and ammo at play here.

The Tikka is the greatest quality rifle per unit of money spent. I had read about them when they became available in Europe, two years before they came on the market here and it was hard to believe the reports. I bought a .22-250 the first month they were available in the US and that rifle has had thousands of rounds shot through it with tack driving accuracy and not a single issue.

Grouse

Back