The G3 Ranch Thread

The NE plot I seeded rye, oats, clover & radish when it was powder dry is doing well

21b6cfc2071cd4866810ec9f663f78ce.jpg
138a805921a1d7de10a78bf671c1185e.jpg

One of the other plots is a good bit too thick with radish, shading out the rye & clover...thinking about mowing the areas too thick and throwing out some more rye & clover. Not necessarily in that order. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you deal with hogs as well, any tips on controlling them?

The trespasser definitely looks freaky, be a bit uncomfortable bumping into her with a gun.
G3...Sorry for the delay in responding. Too much travel lately. Best route if you have the time to check traps regularly is to trap the whole sounder. Otherwise, you'll just have to learn to live with em. On our place they come and go. We shoot on site throughout the spring and summer. They are more sensitive to pressure than deer in my opinion. They get shot at regularly and they leave. But...when food is present they will be back. We have reached the point where we tolerate them, work around them and shoot what we can.

Your plots look great! I am anxious to see if mine have recovered. We finally got some rain last week. Glad I do not have a hog problem yet. I know that there are some within 10 miles so it is a matter of time:eek:

G3...Sorry for the delay in responding. Too much travel lately. Best route if you have the time to check traps regularly is to trap the whole sounder. Otherwise, you'll just have to learn to live with em. On our place they come and go. We shoot on site throughout the spring and summer. They are more sensitive to pressure than deer in my opinion. They get shot at regularly and they leave. But...when food is present they will be back. We have reached the point where we tolerate them, work around them and shoot what we can.

Thanks TC,

Hogs seem to be passing through now & then. We'll put pressure on them, hopefully they'll move on.

Your plots look great! I am anxious to see if mine have recovered. We finally got some rain last week. Glad I do not have a hog problem yet. I know that there are some within 10 miles so it is a matter of time:eek:

Thanks,
Hogs are a PITA...

Crazy. Two Lincoln County deputies were shot out not too far from my place this weekend. One of the shooters is still on the run.

Crazy. Two Lincoln County deputies were shot out not too far from my place this weekend. One of the shooters is still on the run.
They finally took the dirt bag out..I bet you were keeping an eye out for the scum...

Food plot update.

NE plot has exploded.
014620c8fe98bad5832806e39f55b6f5.jpg
011410976e8bd5321488823af7c8094a.jpg

SE plot as well, radish canopied over 3 acres...
6f0c4251f650cf8f54832098c6841c05.jpg
f17c8c7a6ad6f370e503091a1e31f99c.jpg
e06238731fd054e3b2000c07ea6c6f0e.jpg
0683c04d70f965c733cd64c791bc9616.jpg
ac4954f9b3a59b7d34cfcc2c84dc2992.jpg

Seeded 1.5 ac with LC mix + alfalfa, chicory and durana clover for a perennial plot. So far I'm pleased, other than a bit of J-grass
e4f4ba10f05eb86070f2b3bacd5a424e.jpg
87f9f56a58501c10b3803c7dc0ba37b6.jpg
e85b81af2a64e86f2bc9c99c5056db47.jpg

Picked up my Christmas gift today. Vermeer/Haybuster 107 got it worth the money, a few parts and we'll be drilling.
68e17a81c07c0f5b49512a68621b6774.jpg

One of the fences I took down today was around the plots. We are 5" below 20 yr average for the last 120 days and most of that deficit the last 60 days. All of the posts pulled today had moisture the full length of the peg. I think you will like results with that drill during dry times over the next few years.

Deer have eaten most brassica and hammering all else available. But your pic looks much like ours in that most green forage has been frost burned. Moisture is ample for regrowth, and temps mild.....we need to lose the clouds and get some sunshine....id bet only 3 sunny days the last few weeks!

Been awhile since I've updated. Haven't got as much accomplished as I wanted, I have over seeded clover in the spent radish, cut & cleaned up a few pecan & oak trees that blew down and repair & maintenance on equipment. I'm in the process of replacing discs on the Haybuster drill getting it ready for our summer plots. I've been seeing quite a bit of yote scat on the interior roads and wanted to thin them out before fawn & turkey polts got here. I've not trapped before so what little I know came from a book & internet. I bought a starter trapping kit with a 6 pack of MB-550's (have another 6 on the way) and spoke with a local that has trapping experience who offered to show me some tips on sets & locations, when I called him to set up a date he wasn't quite so interested. I watched you tube vids & read what I could and proceeded. Sat 3/4 I set all 6 traps., 4 flat sets & 2 dirt hole sets. I caught & released a couple non target catches, a coon & a turkey vulture, had one trap dug up three times. I'm not sure what dug it up the first two times but the third time a yote schooled me, he called my trap and raised me 3 turds, exposed the pan without tripping it & crapped on it! Finally on 3/9 I scored on a male yote, remade the set. I scored again yesterday on a different set, another male and had tracks all over the first remade set just missing the pan. I should have my 6 addl traps this week and plan on setting them over the weekend. I did shoot one yote while hunting last Dec, so 3 total so far. Hopefully it will save a few fawns & turkeys. Any trapping tips are appreciated. Pics to follow.

Been awhile since I've updated. Haven't got as much accomplished as I wanted, I have over seeded clover in the spent radish, cut & cleaned up a few pecan & oak trees that blew down and repair & maintenance on equipment. I'm in the process of replacing discs on the Haybuster drill getting it ready for our summer plots. I've been seeing quite a bit of yote scat on the interior roads and wanted to thin them out before fawn & turkey polts got here. I've not trapped before so what little I know came from a book & internet. I bought a starter trapping kit with a 6 pack of MB-550's (have another 6 on the way) and spoke with a local that has trapping experience who offered to show me some tips on sets & locations, when I called him to set up a date he wasn't quite so interested. I watched you tube vids & read what I could and proceeded. Sat 3/4 I set all 6 traps., 4 flat sets & 2 dirt hole sets. I caught & released a couple non target catches, a coon & a turkey vulture, had one trap dug up three times. I'm not sure what dug it up the first two times but the third time a yote schooled me, he called my trap and raised me 3 turds, exposed the pan without tripping it & crapped on it! Finally on 3/9 I scored on a male yote, remade the set. I scored again yesterday on a different set, another male and had tracks all over the first remade set just missing the pan. I should have my 6 addl traps this week and plan on setting them over the weekend. I did shoot one yote while hunting last Dec, so 3 total so far. Hopefully it will save a few fawns & turkeys. Any trapping tips are appreciated. Pics to follow.
Yote 1 met a ,308 bullet
882cacaa80fdeb2e678fd58eb2d276a8.jpg

Congrats on the yote trapping! I have never set a trap for a coyote yet because we have had so many dog problems I figured I would constantly be releasing dogs out of them. Didn't help any when I went by one of the neighbors the other day to let him know his goats were out and were eating all the little trees our absentee neighbor planted 3 weeks ago has a puppy mill going on. The neighbor wasn't home but I bet there were 20 pups running around there :rolleyes:

I should really trap for the coyotes though because I have some great spots for sets that coyotes use nightly...

Was wondering what happened to you...haven't seen you post in quite awhile...

Back