The Brushpile

Everything looks so green. Glad your drought is over, at least for now. Those okie scions loom great. Hopefully they will be dropping plenty of fruit in the next few years. Did you graft any of your new persimmon scions?
I grafted new Persimmon exclusively. I always like adding new things. The olke scions grew like magic and under drought conditions.

This is the shape and form of a mature/productive Korean Giant/Olympic Pear.

In contrast, the wider shape of a Kiefer Pear. Both trees were planted the same day. The Oriental blooms later so it's blooms are less likely to be damaged by frost than Kiefer.

The Korean Giant is the best eating pear... period, and sells for $2 each in stores. Last year I had very few Kiefer Pears because of late frost, but I had lots of Korean Giants. Korean Giants drop during bow season, and they are hard and last on the ground until eaten. Kiefers drop about a week or two later... if they produce!

I will never complain about rain, but lots of trees need to be righted. More rain and flooding today... I'll take it!

Hybrid Poplar cut and not treated. This is what happened during a drought! If you need a screen, plant HP and cut it down.

Alleghany Chinkapin likes dry, but not drought. AC should take take off, and with timely rain there will be nuts. Wayne, you have a free supply!

No pic but I have Chestnut regeneration! :) In fact there is lots of regeneration as there should have been all these years! Nothing replaces rain!

Looking forward to getting my AC's in the ground next year. They are doing great in air pots right now. So happy the rain has found the Brushpile

Looking forward to getting my AC's in the ground next year. They are doing great in air pots right now. So happy the rain has found the Brushpile
I like seeing your success with growing things, especially things from the Brushpile.

Last edited:
Didn't have as much luck with the 3 suckering cherry trees you sent me. Only 1 survived, the other 2 never sprouted.
Amazing, I thought I got more root this time! In any case you should have your own suckers in a year or two. Suckering Cherry goes wild!

The blessings of rain. Water is life! So important that we get good water to every person on earth. We need a little rain for crops and shrubs while many need water for survival.

Last year I tried air layering on pear trees. I now have three new pears as a result, this is one of them.

Back