The Brushpile

Make a nest out of rabbit wire and line it with yarn or something soft and wire back on top the light and put them back in the nest and see if momma returns.
That is a great idea! I am doing that now. We will see if the parents return.

Happy to see that your property has finally experienced rain once again. Like the birds with the nest that didn't stand up to the rain and winds, all of the creatures must have been a scurrying. What a panic there must be going on in your soil. With no significant rain for six years the millions of soil critters and plants must be emergency mode. I can't imagine how many seeds are in your soil with so many having been deposited over the last six years.

The Brushpile property will be a fun place to watch as the positive affects of the rain become fully visible.

Brush I am glad to your ground is getting rain but I am sorry to see that level of flooding. People that don't respect the power of rushing water will die or if they are lucky only lose their vehicle in the raging water.

I guess you know now how well the new kennel concrete drains with this wave of unbelievable rainfall.

I am an optimist so I will continue to thing of you getting to eat apples later this year - knowing timely rains in the upcoming months will control this. We are half way done on the apples - at least that is what I want to believe.

So with all that rain in the creeks is it hard to get to Fair Grove from your house?

Hang in there friend.

Wayne

Happy to see that your property has finally experienced rain once again. Like the birds with the nest that didn't stand up to the rain and winds, all of the creatures must have been a scurrying. What a panic there must be going on in your soil. With no significant rain for six years the millions of soil critters and plants must be emergency mode. I can't imagine how many seeds are in your soil with so many having been deposited over the last six years.

The Brushpile property will be a fun place to watch as the positive affects of the rain become fully visible.
Certainly critters emerged from the soil to survive. Ground nesting birds were hit hard, worms are all over the surface. Trees will really take off, but some might drown. 50% chance of rain today and 100% on Wednesdays, so the soil will remain saturated.

The Brushpile has a perched water table with soil on top of solid rock, so water goes straight down and then flows laterally. If I dig a hole I can see water flowing through it, like an underground river.

Brush I am glad to your ground is getting rain but I am sorry to see that level of flooding. People that don't respect the power of rushing water will die or if they are lucky only lose their vehicle in the raging water.

I guess you know now how well the new kennel concrete drains with this wave of unbelievable rainfall.

I am an optimist so I will continue to thing of you getting to eat apples later this year - knowing timely rains in the upcoming months will control this. We are half way done on the apples - at least that is what I want to believe.

So with all that rain in the creeks is it hard to get to Fair Grove from your house?

Hang in there friend.

Wayne
The kennel drained well and held up to the rain. There is one way in and one way out of here, for those who can find it. All the local Farm Roads but one were shut down. The river flows rapidly, so they're back in their banks this morning, but remain dangerous because of rushing water.

Make a nest out of rabbit wire and line it with yarn or something soft and wire back on top the light and put them back in the nest and see if momma returns. You could also place the old nesting material in to the rabbit wire nest.
I rigged up a nest and put it up where the old nest fell down, and the parents are back! :D Thanks for the idea, this forum never fails me!

Enjoying the ride-along Brush. Hope you continue to have good rainfall on the Brushpile. Pretty cool that momma came to the nest you built for the younguns.

Arrow wood is in bloom. I don't have picks yet, but Arrowwood has begun popping up throughout The Brushpile. :)

Here I'm grafting to a Chinese Chestnut. If the graft takes I will disclose what the graft is, if it doesn't take it a mute point.

Everything looks so green. Glad your drought is over, at least for now. Those okie scions loom great. Hopefully they will be dropping plenty of fruit in the next few years. Did you graft any of your new persimmon scions?

Back