Staph infection ain't nothing to play around with!!!

Bleach water doesn't kill everything and even if you let it sit can still be hit and miss on some things.We use caviside as it will kill 99.9% including hep and HIV

Odd combination if you are putting that in your Nares. Bactroban is usually used to kill MRSA where it is carried in the nostrils. Augmentin doesn't cover MRSA. Staph infection must not have been MRSA but you may be a carrier?
He is right. Augmentin will do nothing for MRSA. It will kill some methicillin SENSITIVE staph aureus. Check with your doctor. Bactrim and clindamycin are the most commonly used oral antibiotics for MRSA, but I have seen some resistant to bactrim. Most hospitals do not check for "carrier status" these days as they did in the past. In any regards, the muciprocin (Bactroban) cream will help control all types of staph in the nose.

He is right. Augmentin will do nothing for MRSA. It will kill some methicillin SENSITIVE staph aureus. Check with your doctor. Bactrim and clindamycin are the most commonly used oral antibiotics for MRSA, but I have seen some resistant to bactrim. Most hospitals do not check for "carrier status" these days as they did in the past. In any regards, the muciprocin (Bactroban) cream will help control all types of staph in the nose.
Doc called back yesterday and told me not to use the ointment in my nose. Said my nostrils looked normal during initial exam and that if it were the source I should have some time of issue in or around the nostrils. He seems pretty confident my outbreak was triggered by a dental visit 3 weeks ago. Affected areas are definitely on the mend. The 2 most affected areas are drying up with much of the swelling and redness reduced. I'm applying the ointment to the affected areas 4 times a day. 875 mg of Augmentin every 12 hours and some kind of anti-bacterial wash when I shower. No new outbreaks or red bumps since beginning treatment. Pretty sure mine is just staph and not MRSA strain. Doc said if I had another outbreak after treatment it would require further testing of me and wife to determine if either were source carriers. Wife googled MRSA and freaked out since I had visited a patient in the hospital last week that was quarantined.

Thx for the well wishes! And like others have said, if you see a red bump appear that resembles a spider bite with expanding redness in a day or two then don't delay - get to a doc! Better safe than sorry.

Up way too early but having been cooped up inside since Wednesday afternoon has me a bit stir crazy. Meds are definitely doing their thing! The difference in a couple of spots from Thursday to this morning is remarkable. Hardly any redness and mostly dry. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes! Can't take another day of sitting inside. Brooks is spraying fields today so in about 2 hrs I'm gonna inform the queen bee that I'm taking a drive to the farm just to get out of the house. Will check trail cams and post up any pics on my land thread when I return.

Triple C

Glad you are improving. Cabin fever treatment - get some air and scenery to change our frame of mind. Be safe.

Glad to hear you're on the mend Triple C. Not to sound preachy, but the misuse of antibiotics has caused an explosion of MRSA/CRE/Visa-MRSA and VRE infections, generally contracted in healthcare settings. The rise in resistance comes from the over prescription of antibiotics by healthcare providers, by people not taking the full course of antibiotic when they are prescribed (don't stop taking them just because you feel better, finish the prescribed course), the use of antibiotics in our food supply (feeds, aquaculture, etc). It's a serious problem that everyone can help control by only taking them when really necessary, taking the full course of them, and eating antibiotic free meat and fish. Consider this, penicillin was discovered in 1928 but wasn't used by the general public until the mid-1940's. In roughly 70 years antibiotic resistance has grown widely, typically countered by new antibiotics (only 3 in the last 16 years though). Resistance is now a serious problem and you'd be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't had someone close to them affected by this. Makes you wonder if resistance to herbicides, particularly glyphosate, will follow the same trajectory...

Brooks should be on the lookout for s package in the mail. :)

I hope this infection clears soon, but glad you felt like getting out and going to your property, which is a good sign, and good for the soul.

Been at home for the past 2 days on heavy antibiotics battling a staph infection. Nasty stuff. Like too many guys, I was stubborn about going to doc with something that I assumed was a heat rash in the early stages. Couple of weeks ago I had a few red bumps come up on my legs. Within a couple of days they blistered and reddened like a spider bite. They got worse. Started running a low grade fever. Swelling got worse and very sore to the touch and they begin to drain with nasty stuff. Wen't to doc and found out I had staph. I had a relative die a few years ago following a root canal that set up staph. Doc tells me one of his patients just spent 6 weeks in hospital treating staph. Scared the crap out of me. Mine is getting better. Fever is gone. Wish I had gone to doc sooner. Google MRSA and be reminded that none of us are beyond contracting this stuff. Not sure where I picked it up but one thing for sure...won't be playing macho man in the future if I ever see this again.

Sorry to hear you are battling a staph infection....pretty scary particularly now that more of more of these infections are getting resistant to antibiotics. It sounds like you are on the right path....wishing you a speedy recovery.

Just starting to get caught up on the forum.....sorry to hear what you've been going through, but happy to hear you're doing better!

Back