Staph infection ain't nothing to play around with!!!

Triple C

Been at home for the past 2 days on heavy antibiotics battling a staph infection. Nasty stuff. Like too many guys, I was stubborn about going to doc with something that I assumed was a heat rash in the early stages. Couple of weeks ago I had a few red bumps come up on my legs. Within a couple of days they blistered and reddened like a spider bite. They got worse. Started running a low grade fever. Swelling got worse and very sore to the touch and they begin to drain with nasty stuff. Wen't to doc and found out I had staph. I had a relative die a few years ago following a root canal that set up staph. Doc tells me one of his patients just spent 6 weeks in hospital treating staph. Scared the crap out of me. Mine is getting better. Fever is gone. Wish I had gone to doc sooner. Google MRSA and be reminded that none of us are beyond contracting this stuff. Not sure where I picked it up but one thing for sure...won't be playing macho man in the future if I ever see this again.

Sorry to hear about this. Hope the meds work quickly and you are back to normal soon.

Yes it is nothing to mess around with. My son contracted MRSA when they had an outbreak at his school. Now he has to be always on alert for it for the rest of his life. Staff is very serious! Glad your getting better!

Yes it is nothing to mess around with. My son contracted MRSA when they had an outbreak at his school. Now he has to be always on alert for it for the rest of his life. Staff is very serious! Glad your getting better!
Definitely has raised my awareness of this stuff! Bout half our football team back in the early 70s came down with infantigo which is a form of staph. All recovered. Apparently, staph has mutated to where it is very resistant to antibiotic treatment in many people.

I have coached for 16 years and every few years we would have a case of staph go through the locker room. Even by taking extra precautions and washing the locker room down with bleach once a week that nasty stuff can survive. Good luck fighting it off and be careful in the future you can still be susceptible for a good while. My step-brother about lost his leg back in high school due to staph. He had went in for a surgery and before he made it out of the hospital developed staph. He spent 6 weeks in the hospital not just fighting for his leg but his life. Take care!

Glad you are on the mend. We need you at full strength in couple of weeks. Hope healing is on the way

Triple C

Glad to hear that it is getting better. Sorry for your setback. That is certainly something to be ahead of instead of letting it get a head of steam.

Will send up prayers for your speedy and total recovery.

TripleC, sorry you were down. Glad you are improving. Have your doctor order you some bactroban ointment to put in your nostrils a couple times a day for at least a couple of weeks. Staph is a normal skin bacteria, but MRSA is much more aggressive. Soap and water will keep them at bay on your skin, but they like to hide out and colonize in nostrils where they are protected. Bactroban ointment applied with a Qtip will help keep them on the run.

Last edited:
Thx Doc! Dr prescribed the ointment in pic below in addition to Augmentin. Bout to call him as I don't recall him saying anything about swabbing nostrils.
e0e9cbd9ec81eb81c52a88841812fc83.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRSA is one bad bug. Can be very tough to treat. Glad you are responding to the antibiotics. I see a handful of cases in dogs--like yours they are almost always skin infections.

Thx Doc! Dr prescribed the ointment in pic below in addition to Augmentin. Bout to call him as I don't recall him saying anything about swabbing nostrils.

That is good stuff TC. I am diabetic and keep some of that all the time for any boo boos or sores I get. Podiatrists prescribe it a lot

A friend of mine had it a few years ago, damn near died before they got his taken care of. I know of two ladies who contracted it one died quite quickly and the other they thought they might have to amputate her hand but manage to get it cleared up. I believe my buddy said that everyone has the bacteria in their system, or maybe as was mentioned only on their skin and that you only need a trigger for it go active. Either way glad you are on the mend, and a good reminder for the rest of us to be mindful of it.

Odd combination if you are putting that in your Nares. Bactroban is usually used to kill MRSA where it is carried in the nostrils. Augmentin doesn't cover MRSA. Staph infection must not have been MRSA but you may be a carrier?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back