spraying clover and chicory food plot help

I bought a gallon of clearcast last year, sprayed a clover, alfalfa, chicory plot. I wasn't impressed. I do wonder what it would have looked like without it though. It also limits plant back options. I'm going to try just clethodim this year to take out the grass, if nasty broadleaves show I'll break out the clearcast again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Why?

my biggest problem is horseweed in it. last year I pulled a lot of it by hand but I have a bunch of new growth coming up in it this year in certain spots where the clover is thin. It isn't a huge problem but I am just trying to get it gone also have a bit of dovefoot geranium and a little nutsedge which I really want to get rid of because the hogs love it.
Get on the hogs.

Get on the hogs.
I do the best I can but you can't get rid of all of them. We trap and hunt them and also use dogs on them. We can run them off for a short time but they come right back. Killed ten two weeks ago. I just bought me a night vision scope but I can't try it out because it is turkey season and no baiting allowed right now.

yes I agree. I am not wanting to create any headaches in the future. I believe after researching it that the weed wiper will be a great benefit to me on this type of mixed plot.

The weed wiper will be your best bet for horse weed. You said it’s not a huge problem now but if you had one plant go to seed last year it will be everywhere soon. It’s gly resistant and also resistant to raptor and pursuit (slay). Nasty weed. Dicamba in the weed wiper will take care of it. Mowing regularly may work but it would take multiple mowings I bet.

Clearcast and Raptor are identical. Buy the cheaper Clearcast and follow the Raptor label.

It works great, but takes time. Don’t expect glyphosate results and don’t get impatient and reapply.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

P.S. Mowing regularly will also help suppress many broadleaf weeds. You can set the height a bit higher if you don’t want to mow the clover (assuming it’s white or some other low growing type).

Don’t mow right after applying Clearcast though. Wait a few weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

New to the never ending broadleaf battle is a new herbicide called Imox. Talked to a few guys about it at the local CO-OP then ordered some today from Keystone Pest Soultions. We used 2-4DB in the past with decent success. Used Clearcast last year in our clover, alfalfa and chicory plots and it also worked well. What sold me on Imox is the fact that it doesn’t have the residual effects that Clearcast is. It also has the same AI as Raptor of course at a fraction of the price. Looking forward to giving it a try.

It also has the same AI as Raptor of course at a fraction of the price.
I'm not sure it's any cheaper than Raptor. Am I misunderstanding something on the label?
The average ounce-per-acre of Raptor is around 3oz. The absolute highest rate shown on the Raptor label is 8oz for volunteer corn, but for most weeds 3 to 5 oz per acre is the average.
And Keystone is selling the Imox... by the quart @ $97.95. ($400 gallon)
Clearcast is $300 per gallon ($75 quart) but it's label shows roughly the same oz per acre as Imox. Looks like Clearcast is actually cheaper per acre.

I didn't do all the math, but it looks like when broken down to cost per acre, Raptor is the cheapest. Am I missing something?
BTW, I've been using the same gallon of Raptor for several years...a gal goes a loooong way, but I'm not exactly crazy about the results.
If you don't put chicory in your plot, then I see no reason why 2,4-DB, and/or cleth can't handle most weed issues in a clover plot with better results and less residual than Raptor.

Last edited:
You are right, a gallon goes a long way of Raptor. With the Imox and Clearcast, they sell it by the quart. As far as I know Raptor is only sold by the gallon. For me personally it makes it easier to by at 97 dollars a quart instead of 450ish for a gallon. Where I can spray 5-6 acres which for our small plots in the mountains is plenty.

We also have chicory along with alfalfa and clover in most of our plots. A mix that we have found works wonders in the mountains.

We also have chicory along with alfalfa and clover in most of our plots. A mix that we have found works wonders in the mountains.
Do you get much browse on your chicory? I planted some in Virginia last year and it didn’t get eaten too much. The alfalfa got hammered though

Do you get much browse on your chicory? I planted some in Virginia last year and it didn’t get eaten too much. The alfalfa got hammered though
Yes, it got some attention. To say they like it more than the alfalfa or clover though would be tough to say. We are up in the mountains of WV, elevation around 2500 feet. The crop lands are down in the valleys so we have found most anything we plant gets mowed down. We fence off sections of our fields and hook it up with a charge just to keep the deer off the plots so they can get established.

Yes, it got some attention. To say they like it more than the alfalfa or clover though would be tough to say. We are up in the mountains of WV, elevation around 2500 feet. The crop lands are down in the valleys so we have found most anything we plant gets mowed down. We fence off sections of our fields and hook it up with a charge just to keep the deer off the plots so they can get established.
Our farm is sitting at about 2200 ft of elevation in VA. I planted a whitetail institute mix last yesr, alfalfa rack I believe. That was my first plot. I didn’t lime, fertilize or prep the seed bed correctly. I had just as many weeds as I did forage. Our circumstances sound similar so I may give it another try.

Our farm is sitting at about 2200 ft of elevation in VA. I planted a whitetail institute mix last yesr, alfalfa rack I believe. That was my first plot. I didn’t lime, fertilize or prep the seed bed correctly. I had just as many weeds as I did forage. Our circumstances sound similar so I may give it another try.
The best advice I can give you in pay attention to the process of getting the seed in the ground. Soil samples are #1 and most important. A cultipactor is a great tool we use it after we disk, before the seed goes down and then again after we broadcast sometimes. We have also had success with dragging a cedar tree over our plots after being seeded.

I'm not sure it's any cheaper than Raptor. Am I misunderstanding something on the label?
The average ounce-per-acre of Raptor is around 3oz. The absolute highest rate shown on the Raptor label is 8oz for volunteer corn, but for most weeds 3 to 5 oz per acre is the average.
And Keystone is selling the Imox... by the quart @ $97.95. ($400 gallon)
Clearcast is $300 per gallon ($75 quart) but it's label shows roughly the same oz per acre as Imox. Looks like Clearcast is actually cheaper per acre.

I didn't do all the math, but it looks like when broken down to cost per acre, Raptor is the cheapest. Am I missing something?
BTW, I've been using the same gallon of Raptor for several years...a gal goes a loooong way, but I'm not exactly crazy about the results.
If you don't put chicory in your plot, then I see no reason why 2,4-DB, and/or cleth can't handle most weed issues in a clover plot with better results and less residual than Raptor.
I use Thunder for broadleaf in clover, $260 a gallon at a local farm store with the same active ingredient, is way more affordable than pursuit or raptor.

Back