Chicory filling an important time gap for me

Native Hunter

When I first started plotting, I was talking to an experienced plotter about the value of different food plot species. When we were discussing chicory, he didn't have a lot of good things to say about it. He felt it was overhyped.

Well......roll the clock around a few years, and now that I have my own experience, I couldn't disagree with him more. There is nothing that I have ever planted that I see eaten better, and the feast goes on for nearly the entire year. More importantly, fall planted chicory grows quickly in the spring and fills an important time gap for me. I am now blessed to have farmers on three sides of me planting soybeans, and those beans are extremely important. However, the beans have just now been planted, so you can't rely on them during the crucial antler growing months of April through at least a good part of June. That's where chicory really shines.

My chicory is currently trying to bolt and flower, but the deer are literally keeping it mowed down - even eating the stems down to within a few inches from the ground. Planted with it is a lot of red clover, which is also being eaten much better than my white clover. I've come to the conclusion that there may not be a better food plot species than chicory, and there may not be a better food plot duo than chicory and red clover.

Chicory Today

IMG_2721.jpg

Soybeans Today

IMG_2731.jpg

Chicory is amazing. I do think it takes deer a few years to figure out they love it, but once they do every chicory plant will be eaten to the ground.

It’s also drought tolerant and great for the soil. Its deep tap root mines nutrients from very deep.

For those new to chicory, not all chicory is created equal. Some chicory varieties have a much higher tannin content than others and are less palatable to deer. I think this is one reason we see such varied opinions on deer use.

For those new to chicory, not all chicory is created equal. Some chicory varieties have a much higher tannin content than others and are less palatable to deer. I think this is one reason we see such varied opinions on deer use.
I’ve planted a chicory white clover mix before, but I have no clue what type it was. What type(s) do y’all recommend ?

I’ve planted a chicory white clover mix before, but I have no clue what type it was. What type(s) do y’all recommend ?

I like Commander and Winna the best, but I have also planted Oasis and Antler with great results. I think my deer would eat any forage type chicory. Deer will even browse wild chicory, but it isn't as palatable as the forage varieties.

I used to work at a place where a lot of wild chicory grew in hay fields. The guy I rode with was a deer hunter. Once when I noticed lots of chicory blooms in the hayfields, I commented on it. He looked at me and said, "Did you know deer will eat that stuff......." :)

Last edited:
If you plant it in the early fall with wheat or rye, assuming adequate moisture, what should it do in my zone ? Better yet, should it be planted with wheat or rye ?

Edit: I posted my questions before I read the article at the link. Thanks Yoder !

Last edited:
If you plant it in the early fall with wheat or rye, assuming adequate moisture, what should it do in my zone ? Better yet, should it be planted with wheat or rye ?

Edit: I posted my questions before I read the article at the link. Thanks Yoder !

Here is my throw and mow mix:

Medium Red Clover (preferably a named variety that does well in your area) = 9 lbs
Ladino Clover = 6 lbs
Wheat and Oats mixed = 60 lbs (rye would work too)
Sometime to this I will add a light dusting of radishes or something else just for the first fall

I used to plant it with my perennial clover back when I was planting ladino. In my area (zone 7a), the ladino would do dormant during the summer and the chicory would be the primary food. They would grow well together for the life of the plot. When I switched to Durana, I found that Durana was more aggressive and drought tolerant than Ladino as well as more persistent. I found that Durana would only go dormant for short periods in dry summers and would not go dormant at all in wetter summers. In just a few years, the Durana out-competed the chicory. Since it was no longer covering that summer gap, it was just a cost I did not need and I stopped adding it to my mix. I'm sure any cereal will work as a nurse crop. I prefer WR because of low fertility requirements and other characteristics. My deer don't care which cereal I use.

Chicory is literally the only perineal plant that has survived our drought. And this is only established chicory, all that I put down last fall failed to survive. It will always be a part of my fall mix from here on out.

I agree Native. Good combo. And throw in alfalfa w the mix and you have a good drought tolerant year round plot requiring very little maintenance.
If there is a drawback of chicory is for those that obsess w grass control and some of those herbicides which will kill chicory.
I haven’t spread chicory seed for several years as it has self maintained and spread everywhere including my fallow fields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Native. Good combo. And throw in alfalfa w the mix and you have a good drought tolerant year round plot requiring very little maintenance.
If there is a drawback of chicory is for those that obsess w grass control and some of those herbicides which will kill chicory.
I haven’t spread chicory seed for several years as it has self maintained and spread everywhere including my fallow fields

I think mine would spread too if it didn’t all get eaten, but my NWSGs might also choke it out.

Clethodim doesn’t hurt it.

That looks really good Native. I can see that the deer have been nipping on it pretty well too.

Thanks Drycreek. Yes, it’s almost impossible to find a plant that hasn’t been nibbled on. One thing I find interesting is that trail cams show them coming to the plots in the evening before they go to the neighbor’s beans.

I'm way ahead of my deer right now. My chicory is 6-7' tall and just about to open up all the flowers. I've been working the chainsaw hard the past few years to up my browse acres, and they're in a major surplus for summer food. I'll grab some pics this weekend if they're open now.

Back