South Texas hogs and javelinas

Weasel

I will be heading to South Texas in the near future for some hog and javelina hunting. There aren't too many years I've missed making the trip over the last decade. It's a great, cheap and fun way to escape the northern winter. We have had some great trips down there. Some of my buddies are no longer with us.

MikeBobjavies.jpg

Brian.jpg

guys.jpg

BriMikejavie.jpg

lodge.jpg

AdamBri.jpg

porch.jpg

I will be heading to South Texas in the near future for some hog and javelina hunting. There aren't too many years I've missed making the trip over the last decade. It's a great, cheap and fun way to escape the northern winter. We have had some great trips down there. Some of my buddies are no longer with us.

MikeBobjavies.jpg

Brian.jpg

guys.jpg

BriMikejavie.jpg

lodge.jpg

AdamBri.jpg

porch.jpg
Man, I would love to do that again...I have been down there about 10 times hunting them when I was in my late 20's through my 30's. I had some neat hunts and some great stories like the one where a gator about got me while I was washing javie blood off my hands, rattlesnakes under my feet, having Gene and Barry Wensel eat all of the cookies and Jerky my wife made me for the trip and so on...

Envious :p

Ha ha, the Wensel Brothers, now THERE are a couple of characters. Salt of the earth folks right there. I almost booked on with them years ago when they were hosting those hunts down there. I'd always hear about it when we were doing the hunting show circuit. I can't believe Barry has signed on to do another year of his Whitetail Bootcamp for 2017. I should go, I know I'll be sorry when he quits doing them.

You wonder how you could ever miss a deer with a compound when you used to kill Texas rabbits with a stick bow LOL

Curtisbunny.jpg

Ha ha, the Wensel Brothers, now THERE are a couple of characters. Salt of the earth folks right there. I almost booked on with them years ago when they were hosting those hunts down there. I'd always hear about it when we were doing the hunting show circuit. I can't believe Barry has signed on to do another year of his Whitetail Bootcamp for 2017. I should go, I know I'll be sorry when he quits doing them.

You wonder how you could ever miss a deer with a compound when you used to kill Texas rabbits with a stick bow LOL

Curtisbunny.jpg
What was really bad was I didn't even book with them...I booked with another outfit called "4 arrows outfitters" and my buddy and I got there to a camp full of compound prostaffers and we were shooting stick bows. They stuck us in a little pasture with absolutely no hog or javie sign but we did see some Nilgai on that first day. They overbooked and some of the prostaffers were there to hunt Nilgai so the outfitter went into a trailer in camp and talked to the outfitters on the adjoining lease because they wanted to put some guys on the Nilgai in our pasture and they really didn't have a place for us. They came out and told us we would be hunting with the other outfitters while they werte waiting on their next group...we had no idea Gene and Barry were in that trailer...we had a good time that night in camp and that is when they ate us out of house and home...I remember Gene saying "it's more about quantity than quality with us" when they are talking food...lol

The next day Barry rode with me and my buddy rode with Gene and we went out hunting. I was sent to one side of the road and Barry went the other way. I spotted a small group of javelin and got lucky enough to put a wood arrow out of my Black Widow recurve through one and since the hunt had just began I gutted it and stuck it under a mesquite bush with a sock hat I had to maybe keep coyotes off of it and moved on about another 200 yards when I ran into a large group of feral hogs, some were laying down and some were rooting and I picked out a big old sow laying down and when I got ready to shoot some of the pigs noticed me and took off running. I launched an arrow at the big sow laying down and a young pig ran right into the arrow before it got to her. Perfect pinwheel and it ran a circle and was squealing and the hogs had all ran off but a second later 3 big hogs came running back to the squeeling pig and I pinwheeled one of them! I ended up with a javie and 2 pigs and had to get them all back to the truck. I spent the rest of the morning, gutting and dragging and I will never forget what Barry Wensel told me when he got to the truck...

He told me "you are the killingest guy I have ever seen on one of these hunts" LOL...

Fun times for sure!

I have been thinking about booking a South Tx trip myself one of these days. I make it to San Antonio or Huston for work at least once a year, I would like to tag a hunt onto one of those trips. Would you mind sharing more details of who you hunt with?

What was really bad was I didn't even book with them...I booked with another outfit called "4 arrows outfitters" and my buddy and I got there to a camp full of compound prostaffers and we were shooting stick bows. They stuck us in a little pasture with absolutely no hog or javie sign but we did see some Nilgai on that first day. They overbooked and some of the prostaffers were there to hunt Nilgai so the outfitter went into a trailer in camp and talked to the outfitters on the adjoining lease because they wanted to put some guys on the Nilgai in our pasture and they really didn't have a place for us. They came out and told us we would be hunting with the other outfitters while they werte waiting on their next group...we had no idea Gene and Barry were in that trailer...we had a good time that night in camp and that is when they ate us out of house and home...I remember Gene saying "it's more about quantity than quality with us" when they are talking food...lol

The next day Barry rode with me and my buddy rode with Gene and we went out hunting. I was sent to one side of the road and Barry went the other way. I spotted a small group of javelin and got lucky enough to put a wood arrow out of my Black Widow recurve through one and since the hunt had just began I gutted it and stuck it under a mesquite bush with a sock hat I had to maybe keep coyotes off of it and moved on about another 200 yards when I ran into a large group of feral hogs, some were laying down and some were rooting and I picked out a big old sow laying down and when I got ready to shoot some of the pigs noticed me and took off running. I launched an arrow at the big sow laying down and a young pig ran right into the arrow before it got to her. Perfect pinwheel and it ran a circle and was squealing and the hogs had all ran off but a second later 3 big hogs came running back to the squeeling pig and I pinwheeled one of them! I ended up with a javie and 2 pigs and had to get them all back to the truck. I spent the rest of the morning, gutting and dragging and I will never forget what Barry Wensel told me when he got to the truck...

He told me "you are the killingest guy I have ever seen on one of these hunts" LOL...

Fun times for sure!
Well Gene and Barry got quality and quantity with my cooking!! :cool:

Just returned from my 4 day Texas hunt. What a blast and a great group of guys. This ranch was overrun with wild boars and an occasional group of exotics. After passing younger bucks and not even taking a doe this past season, the piggies really suffered at the hands of my PSE.

4D0A173B-C883-418C-B3EF-206637069AE4.jpg

8E99C135-B71D-4154-9422-7A43DC1122CD.jpg

90F079F3-98A6-4EFF-B516-8280E6773A33.jpg

43261FC1-6992-4549-8D53-C7C166A052A7.jpg

We ran into a group of rams and I spent about 8 hours stalking them one day. I got into bow range on several occasions only to be foiled by brush or the herd bunching up to prevent a clean shot. Throughout the trip, our guide Brian was showing off his new toy, an American Tactical .223 "pistol".

C6A3FD33-E1CA-4B17-A67E-D4027E1D84A1.jpg

A71A5E5B-C29A-4329-AF9F-2299DBD74E6B.jpg

On the last morning, Brian suggested I break in his new toy on one of those rams if we could find them again. He didn't have to tell me twice. As luck would have it, we found the group and it didn't take long before we had a ram on the ground. One clean shot to the neck and he dropped in his tracks. He will look cool in my game room.

8F8B66DE-6106-418E-909A-ACC45F1475CF.jpg

Equipment notes for those interested:

PSE Drive Pro Series 60# w/HHA sight and QAD rest
Carbon Force Sniper 200 arrows
Muzzy 3-blade 100 grain
Scott Archery Shark release
Realtree Max-1 camo
GFA shoulder quiver
Bushnell TRUTH rangefinder
Salt Armour Face Shield

What a great trip! Looks like plenty of game was to be had...what were the temps like? I know it was cooler last week but the last couple days here in Oklahoma have been HOT!

If you ever need someone to fill a spot on that deal I would be game ;)

What a great trip! Looks like plenty of game was to be had...what were the temps like? I know it was cooler last week but the last couple days here in Oklahoma have been HOT!

If you ever need someone to fill a spot on that deal I would be game ;)

Nice when you book with a family operation who puts clients first and does their best to manage their ranch so you have the chance to be successful. It was in the low to mid 80s every day. Clouded up a few days but no rain. I will let you know when we start planning for next year for sure.

Nice when you book with a family operation who puts clients first and does their best to manage their ranch so you have the chance to be successful. It was in the low to mid 80s every day. Clouded up a few days but no rain. I will let you know when we start planning for next year for sure.
That sounds great! Thanks!

Back