soil test - anytime not too?

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you haven't fertilized or applied anything that would throw things off. If your looking at ph it's a good time as far as analyzing what needs to be applied to correct any problems .

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you haven't fertilized or applied anything that would throw things off. If your looking at ph it's a good time as far as analyzing what needs to be applied to correct any problems .

Ok that's my thoughts. Thanks just wanted to confirm.

Gallow just posted on his thread a couple of links about soil tests. And if I remember correctly, he said best to do after initial greenup but before active growth to get the best results. Ck his thread to confirm this.

Gallow just posted on his thread a couple of links about soil tests. And if I remember correctly, he said best to do after initial greenup but before active growth to get the best results. Ck his thread to confirm this.
Yeah if you were testing the biological characteristic's of your soil then I imagine he's right, that would no doubt be the best time. You probably need some microbial action to get things kickstarted and you aren't going to get that in the dead of winter. I was really talking about doing ph testing, looking at % of organic matter, P & K and CEC. It's what Harris Labs calls a" basic" test. That's all I've ever tested for. I know the Haney test is much more involved and touches on much more than a basic soil test. Gallow probably has the healthiest soil in the county. He knows his stuff and it's great reading what he has to say but I don't farm or raise cattle, I have 3 food plots and a garden. :)

Back