reuseable grocery bags as grow bags

Cap'n

I remember guys talking about having good luck with there bags. So I guess they air prune just like a grow bag?
I know they are inexpensive. Any thoughts or advice on these would be appreciated.

walmart bags are 50cents each

i used them for persimmon,chestnuts, and live oak after i gallon RBIIs

They seem to trap roots well

i got the idea from this forum......Maybe DogDoc or one of the okie boys?

bill

I used a reusable Walmart bag along with some other shopping bags this summer on some Dunstan chestnut trees that I bought on clearance in late May. I took the chestnuts out of their black containers and put them in the shopping bags for the summer. The Walmart bag very quickly started deteriorating. It stayed together until I transplanted the trees over Thanksgiving, but just barely. The roots on the trees looked good and were very fiberous. The bags work, but you may have to replace them after 2-3 months. Some of the thicker bags stayed together longer so if you can find thicker bags they will work better.

I used a reusable Walmart bag along with some other shopping bags this summer on some Dunstan chestnut trees that I bought on clearance in late May. I took the chestnuts out of their black containers and put them in the shopping bags for the summer. The Walmart bag very quickly started deteriorating. It stayed together until I transplanted the trees over Thanksgiving, but just barely. The roots on the trees looked good and were very fiberous. The bags work, but you may have to replace them after 2-3 months. Some of the thicker bags stayed together longer so if you can find thicker bags they will work better.

I’m surprised that the bags are breaking down so quickly for you-I grow garden vegetables in Walmart bags, and have had many bags give me two full seasons. Now, I’m setting them into the plastic mortar mixing tubs that you get from Home Depot for watering, so maybe mine aren’t getting as much UV light as yours were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
646519074f01eee988a81e9f2e1fbf58.jpg

I think it was a combination of lots of UV light and way too much rain. We had rain almost everyday this summer so the bags stayed wet. In order to keep the chestnut roots as dry as possible with all the rain I had the trees in the driveway against my fence where they had light for at least 12 hours a day. I wound up double bagging with a new bag after a couple of months. In November when I planted the trees, you didn't even really need the bag anymore since the roots were so fiberous. When I ripped the bags off hardly any potting mix was lost since the roots spread throughout the mix. The Walmart bag was equivalent to a 4-5 gallon pot. I added extra mix when I took the chestnuts our of their 3-gallon pots. The bags worked, but didn't last as long as I thought they would.

Back