Red clover - Lbs per acre?

OkieKubota

Staff member
I am wanting to broadcast Barduro Medium Red Clover onto our food plots now for a spring/summer plot. I have used Durana and Have used some Barduro in the past but I probably wasted a bunch when I spread it. If Broadcast onto bare dirt just before a supposed rain how much do you think I should broadcast per acre?

If i was broadcasting on bare ground I'd up the poundage to 15#. When broadcasted on tilled ground I use 12# per acre.

Well good or bad I put down 25lbs this evening on about 1 1/2 acre with a small chance of rain. Bare dirt that was tilled in early september so it's going to have to work it's way in. Seed is coated...also overseeded 100 more lbs of winter rye and already have radishes trying to grow here but the deer are really hammering them hard. Plots smell like a cattle feed lot...

5112a4251dd183c15f2bc78b22bd9f0b.jpg

06f9d607ce89c5a5b7216bf81d1395c8.jpg

36446a74c83d6cf43a28bdfe9b2cee2b.jpg

afe8db7cff3f87e44485e0843da07c6b.jpg

This is what the north plot looked like 2 weeks ago...

3a1bec18a3c60c216b152ddc8b943708.jpg

Last edited:
That's a pretty plot,

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thank you. With the deer pressure it certainly doesn't look like that now. When the dozer gets to us in the late winter we are going to increase sizes and numbers of plots because they are sure dragging the deer in!

too many deer is a good problem to have! I started out last year with 1/4 acre of wheat and 1/4 acre of white clover. First plots and was so happy they came up, then they got destroyed. I was torn because they were serving their purpose, but they stopped looking pretty around November and looked destroyed by new years. Clover came back and I was pleased.

How well does the medium red perform as a perennial for you? I know the whites normally last longer, but would like to try mixing some Medium Red in with my perennial white clover when it needs thickening up. Any experience mixing the two types?

How well does the medium red perform as a perennial for you? I know the whites normally last longer, but would like to try mixing some Medium Red in with my perennial white clover when it needs thickening up. Any experience mixing the two types?
The Barduro Red clover I use does an outstanding job and is preferred to the white clover by the deer in our area. It also stood up well to our drought. If it gets enough protection it grows very thick and tall and creates a lot of biomass. I like to plant it in with Winter Rye Grain as a shelter plant for it and then once the WR is gone by mid summer you have a great stand of weed free clover left over...

As far as mixing them the white clovers tend to eventually crowd the red out because it is a reseeding annual as opposed to the white being a perennial that spreads by stolons and seed. I have started just planting either one or the other in more pure stands...

0ed423881ae728cd2507b0b27137e127.jpg

34dc59cfff790a7c325d1f4e87204f75.jpg

c82576f907943ab3991376c08a1c51c5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I hope to plant it similar to you this spring. I have 2 small white clover plots, but would like to get some more variety. I like to mix wheat, oats, and rye as a nurse crop, again as a little diversity in case one seed or species doesnt do well. I will keep the red separate and see if it reseeds for me. Do you mow or cut it to help reseed?

Thanks for sharing. I hope to plant it similar to you this spring. I have 2 small white clover plots, but would like to get some more variety. I like to mix wheat, oats, and rye as a nurse crop, again as a little diversity in case one seed or species doesnt do well. I will keep the red separate and see if it reseeds for me. Do you mow or cut it to help reseed?
I got 3 summers on a strip of it in our south plot without me doing anything other than some mowing to keep weeds at bay. The deer tended to keep it at a modest height but we had so much browse due to having a couple of good rainfall years in a row (up until this summer). Not sure how it's going to do as far as reseeding if this drought persists and the deer keep it eaten down all the time...

Im thinking of planting it around some fruit trees, so it would be broadcast and lightly dragged with rain in the forecast. thanks for the help and I hope to get some pictures like yours by next fall.

OkieKubota, I just bought a 25lb bag of barduro red clover. I had to order it and when I got it in and picked it up I saw where there is only something like 49% actual seed and rest is coating. What is your thoughts on this? Is it worth it?. I looked at some Durana in the store and it has has a pretty high percentage of coating too. I'm kinda thinking I need to look into this more.

Most likely it is the inoculant that contains bacteria that add nitrogen to the soil. But that does seem like a very high percentage.

Had this happen to me a couple years ago on crimson clover, thought I got a good price on a 50# bag come to find out it was coated so I only got 25-30# of seed. You have to watch it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OkieKubota, I just bought a 25lb bag of barduro red clover. I had to order it and when I got it in and picked it up I saw where there is only something like 49% actual seed and rest is coating. What is your thoughts on this? Is it worth it?. I looked at some Durana in the store and it has has a pretty high percentage of coating too. I'm kinda thinking I need to look into this more.
As far as I know the only way to get Barduro Red is coated with inoculate but it has an excellent germination rate. It is really high and the clover I just picked up was $100 for 25 lbs coated so $4 a pound but I had no shipping because our coop carries it for the cattle farmers...

That's exactly what I paid. Going to give it a try. I was just thinking I may need to look at other clovers that don't have all that coating.

Back