QDMA Organization

I actually found this site because QDMA shut the old forum down. I was aware of it, did a little reading there, but never contributed that I can remember. I read it on Bowsite and someone mentioned this forum, so here I am. I haven't been disappointed !

An awful lot of judgement and questionable comparatives in this post. I have relatively high net worth. I have some high fenced property ( and low fenced) now I find out I may lack American sportsman values? Rough day.

Baker,

Should be better now

Your Tigers clobbered my Rebels last night

bill

Sorry, didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I guess I used a rather poor choice of words in the last sentence, I shouldn't have said "values", and just said it's not the average person's way of hunting. Some of us are saving money to be able to hunt something like that, or are envious of those who can. What I meant was that since the average American working-class citizen won't ever be able to attain the large acreage of land and the means required to have his own high fence operation, is QDMA promoting a method of hunting that's not realistic for the majority of hunters? But here in America the average working man does have the opportunity to work his way to the top of the food chain by the sweat of his brow (at least now yet). Congratulations to those of you who have got it made, I'm sure you worked hard for it and did it honestly.

No harm no foul.

LSU won. Astros won. Saints won. I’m at ranch hunting with great group of buddies. All is well.

My experience is that there are folks of all walks of life striving with the highest standards with the opportunities they have before them.

I believe in managemant. But not everyone was behind QDMA.

I believe in winning hearts and minds of hunters. Not forcing other people by law into doing what I want them to do. No hunter is more impotant than another hunter. I don't think some QDMA folks believe in freedom.

I believe in managemant. But not everyone was behind QDMA.

I believe in winning hearts and minds of hunters. Not forcing other people by law into doing what I want them to do. No hunter is more impotant than another hunter. I don't think some QDMA folks believe in freedom.

I don't buy the "freedom" argument when it comes to game management. I think it's like playing a sport. If you want to play football you have to play by the established rules or be penalized. If you don't like a rule, you can do what's necessary to change it in the off season, but if you can't win the "hearts and minds" of others, you have to live with the rule or quit the game. It's kind of silly to argue that being penalized for holding a defensive player or interfering with a receiver is restricting your freedom. Of course it is.

It's one thing to disagree with the way game is being managed by state game agencies, but throwing out the "freedom" argument is a straw man in my opinion.

I am another who had joined QDMA as a direct result of finding their forum when I purchased property in 2012. The same sharing of information and experience that others have mentioned was unmatched any other place I'd "been" on the web. The variety of folks represented there seemed to be a pretty good cross section of America, and in general, they were all in some way contributing to beneficial exchange of information. When QDMA shut it down, I came here and dropped my QDMA membership. While the number of contributors here isn't what we had on that old forum, the same spirit seems to be here.

I am in many ways a "wannabe" habitat manager in comparison to many on here. I live hundreds of miles from my property, and past theft issues keep me from investing many dollars in equipment that would allow me to do what many of you are able to do. I plant trees and do some 'poor man' plots, run the chain saw a bit, etc. I do a lot of reading here, but seldom post, in part because I haven't done things on the scale that is being discussed, and often because I am cautious about posting information that may motivate folks from my 'other' neighborhood to poke around while I am absent. My trail cameras only occasionally pick up a 4+ year old, and I have taken a grand total of one deer from my property in 5 seasons of hunting it.

You may read that last paragraph and assume that I look at Baker, Triple C, doghr, Native, Okie, and any of a number of others here ... and say to myself "Man, they are living the dream!" And you would be right, but if you think it's out of envy, you would be wrong about that. Because I'm living the dream too, and consider myself a rather wealthy person in light of that. Not because of net worth (mine's quite low, by the way ;)), mature bucks on my wall, lush plots on my property, or the deer on my trail cameras.

When I used to watch celebrity deer hunters, I saw a lot of men (and a few women) who were not living the dream. Oh, they were doing their best to convince their audience that they were, but when money & recognition become driving forces in a person's time outdoors, the dream quickly dies, or at least moves far out of reach. That's how I see QDMA (and quite honestly, a number of other outdoor-related "non-profits"). Unfortunately the desire (need?) for more and more money & recognition has so clouded the real dream that those most involved are incapable of seeing how repulsive their organization has become to folks who truly are living the dream.

All that to say that for me, what makes a forum like this so enjoyable is that it attracts a wide variety of folks from many different regions who are passionate about not only deer hunting, but all that the outdoors has to offer. Yep, now and then that passion leads to strong opinions, but iron sharpens iron...

Sorry about the soap box!

To the OP - I don't think you'll have much occasion to regret deciding not to pay the QDMA.

I don't buy the "freedom" argument when it comes to game management. I think it's like playing a sport. If you want to play football you have to play by the established rules or be penalized. If you don't like a rule, you can do what's necessary to change it in the off season, but if you can't win the "hearts and minds" of others, you have to live with the rule or quit the game. It's kind of silly to argue that being penalized for holding a defensive player or interfering with a receiver is restricting your freedom. Of course it is.

It's one thing to disagree with the way game is being managed by state game agencies, but throwing out the "freedom" argument is a straw man in my opinion.
I was for antlet restrictions when I was yoiunger. I think it would work. Though snow and wolves/coyotes claim alot up here. Older I got the more I believed in less government.

What makes one sportsman more important than another? This is how I see QDMA folks. I want to shoot a bigger buck, and blame you. Go further back. Spend more time. Do not force your desire on others. Try to convicne them.

The game belongs to us all. Not just the folks in QDMA. I pass. But I get it when its been years since you had one, first time, ect. My grandfathers last buck was in his 80s, was a spike. The QDMA folks would ban that. I got 30 year old who has come out, but hasn't gotten one. All he wants is meat. Doesn't care about horns. But no does tags issued.

In states where you register deer, you could let a person take a spike on their first one. Also allow over certain age, and below. But like I said I am not into big government. Many folks are. Many folks want the government to hold their hands and guide them.

Where I am from, we are into less government. Which is often typical in rural areas. If you look at voting records cities and rural vote different. But you have lot more people in cities. Who like to impose their will on an area they visit one week or less a year.

I was the 8th member of the QDMA and rejoined for years. Left after a spat over liberals with Lindsay. Never went back, and never will.

I am another who had joined QDMA as a direct result of finding their forum when I purchased property in 2012. The same sharing of information and experience that others have mentioned was unmatched any other place I'd "been" on the web. The variety of folks represented there seemed to be a pretty good cross section of America, and in general, they were all in some way contributing to beneficial exchange of information. When QDMA shut it down, I came here and dropped my QDMA membership. While the number of contributors here isn't what we had on that old forum, the same spirit seems to be here.

I am in many ways a "wannabe" habitat manager in comparison to many on here. I live hundreds of miles from my property, and past theft issues keep me from investing many dollars in equipment that would allow me to do what many of you are able to do. I plant trees and do some 'poor man' plots, run the chain saw a bit, etc. I do a lot of reading here, but seldom post, in part because I haven't done things on the scale that is being discussed, and often because I am cautious about posting information that may motivate folks from my 'other' neighborhood to poke around while I am absent. My trail cameras only occasionally pick up a 4+ year old, and I have taken a grand total of one deer from my property in 5 seasons of hunting it.

You may read that last paragraph and assume that I look at Baker, Triple C, doghr, Native, Okie, and any of a number of others here ... and say to myself "Man, they are living the dream!" And you would be right, but if you think it's out of envy, you would be wrong about that. Because I'm living the dream too, and consider myself a rather wealthy person in light of that. Not because of net worth (mine's quite low, by the way ;)), mature bucks on my wall, lush plots on my property, or the deer on my trail cameras.

When I used to watch celebrity deer hunters, I saw a lot of men (and a few women) who were not living the dream. Oh, they were doing their best to convince their audience that they were, but when money & recognition become driving forces in a person's time outdoors, the dream quickly dies, or at least moves far out of reach. That's how I see QDMA (and quite honestly, a number of other outdoor-related "non-profits"). Unfortunately the desire (need?) for more and more money & recognition has so clouded the real dream that those most involved are incapable of seeing how repulsive their organization has become to folks who truly are living the dream.

All that to say that for me, what makes a forum like this so enjoyable is that it attracts a wide variety of folks from many different regions who are passionate about not only deer hunting, but all that the outdoors has to offer. Yep, now and then that passion leads to strong opinions, but iron sharpens iron...

Sorry about the soap box!

To the OP - I don't think you'll have much occasion to regret deciding not to pay the QDMA.
Thanks for that primer on what living the dream truly is, for pointing out that it's possible to feel fulfillment in the outdoors without having tons of money. To find true happiness we need to first find a measure of contentment with who we are and where we're at in life, then work to improve upon that.

I was the 8th member of the QDMA and rejoined for years. Left after a spat over liberals with Lindsay. Never went back, and never will.
It has surpised me to see a few liberals on hunting forums. I guess they think 2nd Amendment is about hunting anyways.

I canceled my membership when they shut down the old forum. I did not receive a response which told me I made the right choice. I had ONLY been a member for just over a decade. They can't go bankrupt fast enough for me.

As others have already explained, the QDMA has become very focused on making their advertisers happy and less interested in the actual resources that go into quality deer management

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There is a lot of well founded criticism of QDMA posted here. I have my own issues as well. I wrote Brian Murphy a letter post forum debacle spelling out my concerns about the organization plus criticisms of how they were shutting down the forum. He responded which led to a lengthy phone call discussing many points.

He agreed that they did a poor job of executing forum shut down though he still believed it was the right thing to do. Controlling the message was the theme. Other issues I confronted him with evolved around seeming hypocrisy.

For example:
QDMA waffles on its stance regarding the use of game fencing. They have done nothing to explain there benefits, challenges and what the real impacts and issues are. They tend to be neutral to negative on the subject. This is fascinating when their highest award bears the name Al Brothers who in many ways was one of the first pioneers of using game fencing . In fact the first game fence I ever saw in the late 70's was built by Al Brothers whom many consider the father of modern deer mgt. I know for a fact that Al is a proponent of game fencing yet despite his role in QDMA they stay silent on the subject.

QDMA has been actively involved against ALL forms of deer breeding operations. Their position of course doesn't acknowledge the many collegiate and private research pens essentially doing exactly the same thing. Again this is fascinating when the recipient of their highest awards and one of their most quoted researchers started one of the original breeding operations at Ms. State and went on to populate breeder operations around the country. That is Dr. Harry Jacobson whom Brian Murphy, QDMA, and anyone that knows him concede is one of the brightest minds in the business and a man of impeccable character.

These positions and others like them smack too much of politicians that voice their positions on what the polls say instead of doing what is right or at the least disseminating all aspects of a situation for others to decide. I personally think QDMA should stay out of politics and legislation altogether and as the saying goes, offer the facts mam, nothing but the facts.

Now having said that and in an effort to see the whole picture. I think QDMA has done many good things. They do promote a message of letting young bucks age which has been effective across the country by varying degrees. They do promote a message of proper herd mgt. including doe harvest which while successful in some areas must employ local consideration to be successful.They were on the leading edge promoting nutrition and food plots as a way to improve a herd, and have a lot of fun doing it. I still reference their food plot specie book regularly. Have they wandered off the reservation on some subjects ? Has the capitalistic mandate of survival and growth effected their vision? Everyone has their opinion.

Like The LLC above I was one of the original members. I raised as much money as anyone for the organization thru offering hunts at auctions plus participating at a board level with our local chapter. I think the way they disbanded the forum could not have been handled more poorly. I could go on but suffice to say I am disappointed with what the current QDMA looks like and am no longer active . Nonetheless I am still a member . If I can find a kernel of wisdom anywhere that helps me be a better manager and steward then I'm in.

It seems to me QDMA has moved from a small dedicated hunter/habitat driven organization into a money making, profits, big picture group that is less focused on the actual qdma and more so on growing into a large national brand looking to seize their corner of the market, courting sponsors such as Mossy Oak.

Anybody seen any membership number trends for QDMA? It would be interesting to know just how big the old forum was in recruiting. The web site still lists them around 60000.

All ya'll have your own personal feeling, experiences, and stories. For whatever reason you own them. I could care less about QDMA -- or DU or NWTF or The Boone & Crocket Club, Trout Unlimited, or any other non-profit with some mission aimed at something we all do and or love. People have their individual motivations for joining. I wonder, have these orgs accomplished what they intended? Is their mission still relevant? Nobody ever says, "Hey, guys! Job well done! Let's disband!" And so, the scope grows. Why? Because the people leading and working in the organization continue to want a paycheck.

What motivated the formation of QDMA? Don't look at the mission. I think one should look at the needs and credentials of the founders. That sucking sound you hear is any number of people rushing toward the light aimed by the founders. I don't know if QDMA provides quality benefits or not. To listen here, its almost like they are child molesters. Yet, every objective (open to debate) critique I read says QDMA is one of the better organized and run hunting / sportsman non-profits in the country. I know, I know. You all have your opinions adequately expressed above....and many other places.

But, here's the thing. In relation to all those other like-minded organizations, QDMA is very, very small. Continuing to air your grievances makes QDMA look like a larger than life, super effective national organization. By any measure, it is not huge. It's tiny (pimple on a gnat) . Without resources like $$$'s the number of objectives has to be small. I would argue your expectations far exceed those of the organization.

Under IRS rules, these non-profits are organized as 501C-3 organizations which limits a lot of what they can say and do. Each year a IRS Form 990 must be filed to report financial assets.
The 2015 calendar year was filed 12/2016 and it looks like this:
https://www.qdma.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/QDMA_990_Form_2015.pdf

QDMA Total annual revenue $2.8 - $2.9 million ain't much.

Ducks Unlimited? $210 million
National Wild Turkey Federation $41 million
Whitetails Unlimited $112 million

I wasn't happy about the way the forum closed, but I never had high expectations for the organization.

And, while the 2016 numbers won't be available for a number of months everything I can find says, from a membership and revenue perspective, the organization is steady to increasing.

Thanks for the info, I like them better now, I always sympathize with the underdog. Wow, DU $210 mil, even the green bay packers support them. All because Walt Disney made ducks famous.

All ya'll have your own personal feeling, experiences, and stories. For whatever reason you own them. I could care less about QDMA -- or DU or NWTF or The Boone & Crocket Club, Trout Unlimited, or any other non-profit with some mission aimed at something we all do and or love. People have their individual motivations for joining. I wonder, have these orgs accomplished what they intended? Is their mission still relevant? Nobody ever says, "Hey, guys! Job well done! Let's disband!" And so, the scope grows. Why? Because the people leading and working in the organization continue to want a paycheck.

What motivated the formation of QDMA? Don't look at the mission. I think one should look at the needs and credentials of the founders. That sucking sound you hear is any number of people rushing toward the light aimed by the founders. I don't know if QDMA provides quality benefits or not. To listen here, its almost like they are child molesters. Yet, every objective (open to debate) critique I read says QDMA is one of the better organized and run hunting / sportsman non-profits in the country. I know, I know. You all have your opinions adequately expressed above....and many other places.

But, here's the thing. In relation to all those other like-minded organizations, QDMA is very, very small. Continuing to air your grievances makes QDMA look like a larger than life, super effective national organization. By any measure, it is not huge. It's tiny (pimple on a gnat) . Without resources like $$$'s the number of objectives has to be small. I would argue your expectations far exceed those of the organization.

Under IRS rules, these non-profits are organized as 501C-3 organizations which limits a lot of what they can say and do. Each year a IRS Form 990 must be filed to report financial assets.
The 2015 calendar year was filed 12/2016 and it looks like this:
https://www.qdma.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/QDMA_990_Form_2015.pdf

QDMA Total annual revenue $2.8 - $2.9 million ain't much.

Ducks Unlimited? $210 million
National Wild Turkey Federation $41 million
Whitetails Unlimited $112 million

I wasn't happy about the way the forum closed, but I never had high expectations for the organization.

And, while the 2016 numbers won't be available for a number of months everything I can find says, from a membership and revenue perspective, the organization is steady to increasing.

Small or large I don’t care. As a business you don’t screw your clientele. If I treated customers that way I’d be broke. They have lost any respect from my end. I’m sure they might survive but mission is going nowhere. Adios. Like with your children there is a proper way to say NO and they had an odd way of doing so to be run by supposed business savvy people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back