Pruning apple and crab apples in winter

1yellowdog

Any issues with pruning apple and crab apple trees in the middle of the winter? Or what is the preferred time to prune. I have about 15 trees that need pruning and want an excuse to head up to the land.

Any issues with pruning apple and crab apple trees in the middle of the winter? Or what is the preferred time to prune. I have about 15 trees that need pruning and want an excuse to head up to the land.
Seeing as where you are located I would wait awhile yet. Its always advised to wait to prune until the worst of winter is past. You can get winter injury to the areas of branches that are just pruned. I am sure you can thing of another reason you have to go to your property!:)

I have always been told late Februray, early March is the best time to prune apple trees. As Turkey Creek said the worst of winter is over then. I can't say if pruning now would hurt or not.

Is it important to sterilize the pruners for late winter pruning, or is that only for spring time?

Is it important to sterilize the pruners for late winter pruning, or is that only for spring time?

Large commercial orchards and nurseries do not sterilize between trees. According to some publications that I have read they also say it is unnecessary in the cold days of winter. I personally would if I was working on a tree that say obviously had fireblight the year before. On healthy trees I would say it is not necessary.

I usually prune everything early to late march, as soon as the day time temps are more consistently above freezing.

Large commercial orchards and nurseries do not sterilize between trees. According to some publications that I have read they also say it is unnecessary in the cold days of winter. I personally would if I was working on a tree that say obviously had fireblight the year before. On healthy trees I would say it is not necessary.
Thanks.

Yep, early March is my target timing too. I've had my share of blight problems so now tend to sterilize more than not.

^^^ What Chummer said. I'm starting mine now, but I've got thousands in my commercial orchard. Other friends of mine that own big commercial orchards and have migrant workers get pruning in November, right after retail season is over. Then these workers return home to Jamaica.
That being said, after the worst of the cold is over is the general rule, especially on younger trees.

DSCN2580.JPG

Back