Power Plant for Whitetail Institute

swank63

DSCN2207 (4).JPG DSCN2209 (4).JPG DSCN2212 (4).JPG DSCN2224 (4).JPG So I purchesed some PowerPlant this year to see how it would do. Here's some pictures of the plot. I dont really know whats growing, but I don't see any Hemp growing. Does anybody know what type of weed is growing in the picture? The peas and beans are doing well, but hardly any sunflowers are growing even AFTER I added extra sunflower with the mix.

I didn't know what type of plant that was, it just started to pop out above everything in the last week to 10 days. Interesting

Next time your at your plot, chew a peice of stalk, it tasted like a cross between a snap pea and cucumber. My first year planting Sunn hemp in central Michigan and the deer just destroyed my plot and so I was curious as to what it tasted like. Lol

I've planted Power Plant in the past several times and I got great plots. The " old " PP had milo in it in place of the Sunn Hemp. Looks like the weeds took yours though.

I had to quit it because the hogs would destroy it after the milo heads got ripe. I've thought about trying it again with the SH, but probably mix my own. If you have turkeys or quail, it would be a bonus for them. I had lots of birds of all kinds in my plots.

Anyone else try the new Power Plant with hemp? I will be trying the new hemp mix this year. I usually avoid BOB seed but at $2.28 a pound for 50 pounds shipped to my door, I figured I'd give it a shot. They claim that will plant 1.5 to 2 acres.

Do I see a lot of ragweed in the 1st pic?
Ragweed is a highly preferred browse species here.

Can power plant be sprayed or so you just let it grow as is? I’m looking to plant some this year and wanted to know if I need to control weeds in it with a certain product or not, let me know - thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can power plant be sprayed or so you just let it grow as is? I’m looking to plant some this year and wanted to know if I need to control weeds in it with a certain product or not, let me know - thanks!

Not much can be sprayed in mixtures like Power Plant. I'm thinking that grasses can be controlled but everything else is non RR broadleaf. There may be herbicides for some of the varieties but will toast other varieties in PP.
That's the problem with mixes...herbicide selection, and spray timing, gets complicated.

It use to have some grass species, as well. I know it use to have some sorghum, but they keep changing it.

It use to have some grass species, as well. I know it use to have some sorghum, but they keep changing it.
I believe that they replaced the sorghum with sunn hemp which is not a grass, so grass herbicides should be okay. Best to ask Whitetail Institute if they have recommendations...but if they tell you to buy THEIR herbicide, check to make sure that there isn't a cheaper generic or comparible herbicide that's a lot cheaper. Clethodim is a good example...I think WIs grass herbicide is much more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ya agree, because I get that clethodim cheaper than their products And feel it does a better job too

Re-reading this thread to see how it worked. I planted this 5/29/16. In my zone recommended dates are 5/20 to 6/30. The only thing that I grew was some lime green grass. Last year, I planted sunn hemp with buckwheat and sorghum on 6/9. Buckwheat and sorghum grew well. Not so much sunn hemp, few plants and not much height. This summer was unusual, many summer nights in the 40's. Recommendation is for constant 65 degree soil temperature. I would monitor the soil temperature for sure if I ever plant it again.
So how did it go, Weasel? Anybody else?

Back