Plot place holder

weekender21

What can I plant as a place holder for a future plot?

I recently purchased land in the mountains of western NC. The land has been recently logged and I want to take advantage of the open areas as I plan locations for future plots. Here's the problem, I live 4,600 miles away and won't live in the area for 5-6 years.

I'm headed to the property this fall to plant some chestnuts and oaks and I'd like to identify and clear some areas for future plots before they become overgrown by a tulip poplar jungle. I'm looking for advice on something I can plant either now or in the spring that will benefit the soil first, and the deer second. Something that will out compete weeds that are not desired?

Plots will be at about 3K feet elevation in zone 6B. The area gets 54 inches of rain and 23 inches of snow annually. It's rare to see temperatures below 10F and above 85F. I've only done one soil test so far and the PH was 5.6.

Thanks for the help!

This fall, plant cereal rye and reseeding crimson clover for starters, then work on your soils ph. Plant some keiffer pear and persimmon tree's as well.

I'll second the cereal grains and clover mix.

Where about are you located? I shouldn't be to far away in Rowan County and I may be able to help you.

Are you in the service?

Thanks for the help.

FarmerD, Pears and persimmons are definitely on my list. There are quite a few crabapple trees on the property so I think pears would be something different. Where is the best place to buy cereal rye? Is this something I should get from Whitetail Institute or just a local seed store?

ncnat, I'm in Ashe County, about 20 minutes from the Jefferson's. Yes, I'm in the military.

Last edited:
I'd get it all locally and start establishing a relationship with some of those local feed and seed places. It's nice to be able to send an email (especially for your distance) and have everything on a pallet, for your arrival. With my local (to the camp) feed and seed place, if I give them a few weeks notice, they can get me pretty much anything I want, at a reasonable price. Saves me lots of time and it works well for them too.

Plot layout.png

A little crude but this image outlines the basic plan I have so far. I've spent very little time on the property and don't want to get too carried away all at once.

Key:
black-property boundary
blue-creeks and springs
red-areas with mature timber, the rest is mainly clear cut. Some young trees remaining.
tan-road system
green-possible food plot locations
pink-potential bedding locations
red circle-stand sites
white arrow-north

Last edited:
I'd get it all locally and start establishing a relationship with some of those local feed and seed places. It's nice to be able to send an email (especially for your distance) and have everything on a pallet, for your arrival. With my local (to the camp) feed and seed place, if I give them a few weeks notice, they can get me pretty much anything I want, at a reasonable price. Saves me lots of time and it works well for them too.

Good advice, makes since. I usually fly into ATL and drive up after visiting family in SC. I'm sure there are several seed stores on the way up.

This fall, plant cereal rye and reseeding crimson clover for starters, then work on your soils ph. Plant some keiffer pear and persimmon tree's as well.

This. It's what I always use on new log landings until I can get the soil amended/worked correctly. Pennington Seed has some really good mixes along these lines that work really good. Good prices too.

Like others have mentioned-Winter rye and clover have done wonders for my plots in south central Wisconsin. I think that would be a good combo to start with. Then start on the lime and getting the soil to where you need it.

IMG_1546.JPG Well, it sounds like rye and crimson clover will be an easy choice with everyone recommending the same thing.

One of the plots will be several hundred yards of a two year old logging road (pictured). What are the ideal preparations needed when I plant and what can I get away with? The job would take forever with a hand rake but I could do it if I can't find a place to rent equipment. This road is really the only flat area on this side of the property and based on the prevailing wind directions and terrain, it's actually in a pretty good spot for a plot. Obviously plenty of food in the area at the moment with all the mineral stumps from the clear cut.

The plot on the other side will likely have to wait until I can have it cleared. The logging crew is still on the property and I'll probably just hire them to complete the job before they finish.

Last edited:
You have a tuff one there. Stay with seeds that are cheap, like cereal rye and crimson clover and keep tillage to a minimum, otherwise your dirt will just slide down the hill. Cereal rye and crimson will germinate on top of the ground and will tolerate more acidic soil and that's probably what you will always have there since you won't be able to get lime down deep. But keep spreading lime, as it will help. Rake it and your seeds in, if you can.

Your big challenge is going to be keeping the "growth" around the trail, down. Next spring, that could all be 5 feet tall and will add lots of shade to the trail.

Planting a variety of tree's and vines that the deer like might be your best option, but you will have to keep competition away from them, so they can get the most amount of sunlight.

I've thought about planting trees and shrubs directly on that trail, there is another directly on the border at a slightly higher elevation that I intent to use for access. I still may do that but would like to try a food plot first. That trail should have good sun for at least a few more years before the fast growing poplars take over. I'm definitely not opposed to cutting trees within 10 yards of the trail down to allow more sunlight in. The next few years will be more of a project to see what works and where.

Below are a few pictures of vegetation along the trail. In addition to the tulip poplar mineral stumps, there is a lot of pokeweed that is being browsed heavily. Quite a few unknown vines as well.IMG_1548.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1569.JPG

A few more pictures. All of these are along a few hundred yard stretch of the logging road.

I walked the property in July, at that time it seemed like pokeweed and the various mineral stumps were the preferred browse. I don't have a good count but there are a lot of crabapples along the creek bottom on the NE side of the property. I don't have a good idea of the drop times of those trees but I'd like to add something that's available during the winter months. Currently looking at some of the late dropping red oaks available from native nurseries.
IMG_1538.JPG IMG_1552.JPG IMG_1558.JPG

You have a tuff one there. Stay with seeds that are cheap, like cereal rye and crimson clover and keep tillage to a minimum, otherwise your dirt will just slide down the hill. Cereal rye and crimson will germinate on top of the ground and will tolerate more acidic soil and that's probably what you will always have there since you won't be able to get lime down deep. But keep spreading lime, as it will help. Rake it and your seeds in, if you can.

Your big challenge is going to be keeping the "growth" around the trail, down. Next spring, that could all be 5 feet tall and will add lots of shade to the trail.

Planting a variety of tree's and vines that the deer like might be your best option, but you will have to keep competition away from them, so they can get the most amount of sunlight.

Great points. Untimely heavy rains could definitely wash all my seed, fertilizer, and lime down the hill. Maybe I need to rethink the road plot a little more. I'd like to plant something on the road to prevent erosion and to encourage deer movement that direction.

I want to plant chestnuts, oaks, apples, and pears in an area on the NE end of the road. Some potential there for a plot but not much. Even the utility line on this property is on a hill! Lots of native forage though so that's a plus. The one thing that's really missing on this property is hard mast. Not many oaks were spared.

Last edited:
Any ideas what native forage might be available for the deer January-March? Will all these mineral stumps be a valuable food source that time of year?

The blackberry patch will get you in trouble quick. One minute you are on the outside edge, the next minute you are 10' deep because there was "one bigger" just out of reach. Then the chiggers set in. Are they worth it? They sure are.

I grew up in the Carolinas and some of my earliest outdoors memories are picking blackberries with my dad. Looking forward to creating those memories with my kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Just a few more thoughts, based on the (tuff) terrain of your property, look for greenbriar http://www.carolinanature.com/trees/smro.html and fertilize it as well as any native hard and soft mast tree's on your property now. Clear around them, to give them the most natural light you can. Look for honeysuckle, if you have it on your property and fertilize it, as well. If you don't (and since honeysuckle can be invasive), you could cage it and have a perennial spot or several. https://projects.ncsu.edu/goingnative/howto/mapping/invexse/japanhon.html Not sure if it is banned in North Carolina or not. I think a chainsaw might be your best habitat tool.

Honeysuckle.JPG

Back