Planting from cuttings?

Paradise725

Hi all, I've read a lot of references to planting trees and shrubs from "cuttings" but I'm not 100% familiar with the topic. Does anyone know of a good list of deer and wildlife friendly trees and shrubs that can be propagated via cuttings? What time of year should the cuttings be harvested? When should you plant them? Proper care in between harvesting and planting? I think a thread on this would be good reference material for myself and others. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know how to link to an older thread, but i asked this qeustion a couple months ago and received lots of good information. I would use the search and find that link.

I dont know how to link to an older thread, but i asked this qeustion a couple months ago and received lots of good information. I would use the search and find that link.

Thanks! I found your thread using the search tool and there is a lot of good info there.
I really like the idea of creating hedges from cuttings. I've got a couple of spots where I'd like to try this for screening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I planted some azaleas (no wildlife value i know) as a free screen at my farm in a small strip. It stays green all year, native to my area, well suited for the soil, wont get browsed, grows up to 10 ft tall and easily trims. I dont know yet if I will like it, but I havent found any negatives yet to planting them as a screen. If you had a native plant that you knew grew well as a shrub, and you could get cuttings easy, it is much easier to work close to home.

Back