Pelletized Lime Application

useyourbow

Pelletized Lime Application
Do I need to disc/work it into the soil or will simply broadcasting it with rain in the forecast suffice?

Discing it in will make it work much quicker, but it will eventually make it down into the soil if you just broadcast it.

Have never disced powder or pellot lime in. Seems to work fine. Not sure if you have choice, but if you can, ck local coop in mid summer to spread lime for you. Is there slower time for that and you can get good price. I did this 8 years ago and spread per soil test recommendation 1-3 tons/ ac in standing fescue. Ph raised from 5s to 6-7 and has remained there since. On inaccessable road plantings I have used pellot lime at time of fall planting. Good luck.

I drag mine and try to time it before a spring rain, just like seed. Seems to work good, but i am only working with 1/2 acres plots at largest and starting with pretty good soil.

You don't HAVE to work it in, but it will work faster if you do. When I apply lime I prefer to broadcast it first and then do any tillage I am going to be doing.

If you're planting something that really needs the ph bump, disc it in--it really makes a difference.

The answer really depends on your soil. On the lightest soils (sand) discing it in can result in the lime leaching out of the root zone pretty quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Speaking of lime applications... without a soil test, what is a generally accepted application rate? I know a soil test is preferred, but doubt I will get to it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

A good rule to remember, light soil takes less lime to raise pH vs heavy soil. I like to dig down a foot and grab a fist full of that soil and rub it between my fingers. If you're light and sandy, I'd start with a half ton without a soil test. I'd also look at your weeds to see if you have low pH weeds like fern, horsetail, moss etc.

A good rule to remember, light soil takes less lime to raise pH vs heavy soil. I like to dig down a foot and grab a fist full of that soil and rub it between my fingers. If you're light and sandy, I'd start with a half ton without a soil test. I'd also look at your weeds to see if you have low pH weeds like fern, horsetail, moss etc.

The area is VERY sandy. I would be hard pressed to even call it sandy loam... almost sugar sand. It is a bend in a heavy flowing creek, so most of it is pure deposited sand. It will definitely be a soil restoration project.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Without a soil test there is no way to give an intelligent answer to this question. The amount of lime needed would be a SWAG, and therefore any fertilizer is also a swing in the dark. Plant stuff known to produce fairly well on well-drained, low-pH soil, (sand) and then apply as much lime as your pocket-book and lower back can tolerate.

Back