Pear Tree Planting?

deer patch

I'm new to the fruit tree planting so bear with me. I have 3 different plots that I was going to plant them in so they will have direct sunlight. I was going to get some Kieffer trees and was wondering do you guys and gals normally plant 2 or 3 of the same tree in the same area? I've seen both but was thinking 3 is better than 2. Was also thinking about getting some Korean Giant say 1 for each planting. I know I will have to protect them from browsing and rubbing. What else do I need to do?

Yes, I would plant more than one of the varieties I wanted the most.

I would also put down some small ground mats to suppress the vegetation near the roots for the first few years to give them a good start.

Water the first couple of years if it gets dry, and then they should be able to take care of themselves after that.

Help shape them a little in the first few years and get the lower branches at the height you want them.

Consider adding some screen wire at the bases to protect from rodents gnawing the bark. I didn't do this at first and paid for it last winter. I had 2 nice apple trees to get gnawed pretty badly. As time permits, I will go back and do this on all fruit trees.

I would also consider maybe one or two other pear varieties at each location. You could go with something a little earlier or later dropping, depending on what you wanted. Moonglow, Ayers, Warren or others would be a good choice. Most experts say that Kieffer will produce larger crops when pollinated by different varieties. I can't say, because I have always had multiple varieties around.

Good luck.........

Last edited:
All if my little pear groups are in groups of 3 to 4. For example in one planting I have a 2 Kieffer, 1 moonglow, and 1 Orient. In another I planted 2 orients, 1 kieffer, and 1 wild pear. All are caged with weed mats and screening matrial around the base. I just feel that cross pollination will ensure a better crop.

All if my little pear groups are in groups of 3 to 4. For example in one planting I have a 2 Kieffer, 1 moonglow, and 1 Orient. In another I planted 2 orients, 1 kieffer, and 1 wild pear. All are caged with weed mats and screening matrial around the base. I just feel that cross pollination will ensure a better crop.

Thanks dogdoc for the info. Well I ordered my pears and there reply was they had sold out but I will get some this spring which I will have to water every week during the summer but I was planning on doing that anyway and this will also give me more time to get all my cages ready this winter.

Thanks dogdoc for the info. Well I ordered my pears and there reply was they had sold out but I will get some this spring which I will have to water every week during the summer but I was planning on doing that anyway and this will also give me more time to get all my cages ready this winter.
You'll be happy with pears. I've pretty much quit planting apples and I am concentrating on pears. Just more maintenance free.

You'll be happy with pears. I've pretty much quit planting apples and I am concentrating on pears. Just more maintenance free.

I wouldn't do apples due to bears. I'm just hoping the bears will leave the pears alone but I know Gator has issues with them and his pears. So time will tell.

Dogdoc,

Is the wild pear tree bearing yet? Do you like that tree for planting?

What size pear - small or normal size?

No. Hoping for fruit soon. This year was it's 3rd growing year in the ground. Planted spring of '14. Seed was obtained from a member of the QDMA forum.

Here's what I've been thinking about planting in 3 different locations. Two different locations 1 Laneene, 1 Kieffer and 1 Gate. In the other location 1 Laneene, 1 Kieffer, 1 Gate and 1 Gallaway. Not sure about Gallaway and fire blight. Trying to cover first of October to end of December. What do you think?

Here's what I've been thinking about planting in 3 different locations. Two different locations 1 Laneene, 1 Kieffer and 1 Gate. In the other location 1 Laneene, 1 Kieffer, 1 Gate and 1 Gallaway. Not sure about Gallaway and fire blight. Trying to cover first of October to end of December. What do you think?

I have a Gallaway that had its first crop this year, and it was completely free of FB or any leaf spotting. Pears were still hanging a few days ago when I was there. Very clean and healthy looking.

Back