Passions beyond Deer & Family?

j-bird

Ok- we can assume we are all passionate about our families and anything related to deer. However some of us have other passions beyond those as well. I thought it would be interesting to know a bit more about some of the other interests our cyber-friends may have.

I'll go first......but you can't laugh!

I'm a cubs fan. Ok, that isn't entirely true.....I'm a HUGE CUBS FAN! I have taken my share of ridicule all my life and was reduced to tears as a child in 1989.....and was simply besides myself in 2003. Last year was hopefully just a teaser for things yet to come. If I follow any sport or team - it's my cubbies!

I also like old cars, mostly of the true muscle car era.......I have a 1967 GTO convertible project in my garage that has been sitting ever since the kids started being born. Funny how coincidental that is!!!!!

That has rubbed off on my son who has a 1972 dodge dart swinger project (drag car) and is in college now to be a Auto/Diesel/Ag mechanic at UNOH (Univ. of Northwestern Ohio).

So what other hobbies do some of you all have???

Well I used to have a lot of hobbies. My #2 obsession has to be football. I have learned that I watch a football game differently than most people. I have broke down film for so many years I catch myself doing the same thing when I am watching my Chicago Bears play. Since getting out of coaching a couple years ago I go to or watch several high school games from our area. I still continue to breakdown the game as if I am scouting the team. It kinda ruins watching a game and rooting for your team but I can't help myself.

I have had other hobbies such as golf, camping etc. But there is only two consistent hobbies and that is deer and football.

Ok- we can assume we are all passionate about our families and anything related to deer. However some of us have other passions beyond those as well. I thought it would be interesting to know a bit more about some of the other interests our cyber-friends may have.

I'll go first......but you can't laugh!

I'm a cubs fan. Ok, that isn't entirely true.....I'm a HUGE CUBS FAN! I have taken my share of ridicule all my life and was reduced to tears as a child in 1989.....and was simply besides myself in 2003. Last year was hopefully just a teaser for things yet to come. If I follow any sport or team - it's my cubbies!

I also like old cars, mostly of the true muscle car era.......I have a 1967 GTO convertible project in my garage that has been sitting ever since the kids started being born. Funny how coincidental that is!!!!!

That has rubbed off on my son who has a 1972 dodge dart swinger project (drag car) and is in college now to be a Auto/Diesel/Ag mechanic at UNOH (Univ. of Northwestern Ohio).

So what other hobbies do some of you all have???

A 67 GTO? Nice! I love old muscle cars too. One day I would like to get one and work on it but for now my savings are all going toward land.

Martial arts! I took a few years of TKD but there were a lot of aspects I wasn't too keen on. Sparring was a blast though! I won my first tournament for my division. I'm now taking some Jiu Jitsu classes and the stuff I'm learning in there is awesome! I would like to take some Krav Maga and then i should be a fairly well rounded fighter. TKD for the stand up, jiu jitsu for the ground, and KM for the weapons/hand to hand self defense. It's an ongoing experience.

I also like ATV's. I don't get to ride as much as I'd like but i have been to the Hatfield Mccoy trails in WV and look forward to going back in the spring. I have done some small mods to my King Quad but if I didn't have so many other things, I'd probably pump more money into it.

Gotta be my blown 69 GTO street car...

3621abf3f8517608263614f806deca1c.jpg

d6b396a6e4920a1e6fe8cc97ebe208ad.jpg

Or would it be my other 69 GTO race car?

f1352741c2c19304f36a97afcf00ddb5.jpg

d0e9ba76612e39a3b32d21f25c0726e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have taken up guitar over the last two years. I really enjoy it. Electric guitar with distortion effects, etc. I play a lot of Slayer, some Megadeth, Pantera, and GnR. Admittedly, I'm not a technically proficient player, but I enjoy it.

Very interesting thread. Golf was my passion outside of work and particularly after the kids were grown. Played a lot of golf and had the good fortune to play some of the great courses here and abroad. Played in so many member guest tourneys I couldn't count them. Won my share of em. Interesting thing just happened yesterday...I called the club I belong to and canceled my membership. Just finished our member-guest and quite honestly, I couldn't wait for it to be over. That is really weird coming from a guy that 6 years ago figured I would retire and golf just about everyday. I seldom play any more and decided the cash I was burning at the club and hardly ever playing could be utilized better elsewhere...like a cultipacker, Redneck blind, cab for tractor...ahhhh...the list never ends. Truth is ever since I purchased land and built the cabin, I'd rather be there than doing anything else. Hope that never changes but if it does I can always take up golf again.

And...back in the day I had a bad to the bone muscle car...67 Chevelle. 327, high rise intake, headers, 650 holley. I could see myself getting one of those again...

Lastly...I've always wanted to play the piano. May take that up some day.

Hmmmmm golf or a cultipacker. That's funny!
I played a lot of golf until about 2000. I purchased the run down lake place in 1996, and have been working on it ever since. I remember as I took the kids thru the ruin of a cabin for the first time, my son, 16 at the time, looked at the magnitude of the project and said "Well, Dad won't be working on any deer stands for quite a while" Indeed, it has take some time, still does, but I so much enjoy having those grandkids come and enjoy the water. Interesting, too, how the water games change as the kids age.
And, as most are aware, I enjoy growing tomatoes! Love watching college football, even if my team is a hit or miss most years, but, Hey, we can always hope for another "Kick Six"

J-bird, I'm a huge Cardinals fan so I'm through talking to you. Just kidding. I'm actually kind of glad the cubbies are good. Makes it more interesting for us cards fans. I'm also a huge Hogs fan. I have 200 acres in "the hills", as we flat landers call the ozark foothills. About 45 minutes from home. I go up there with my cousins who are co-owners as often as I can to work and bbq and sit under our 300 year old oak with a fire and drink a few cold ones. Sometimes more than a few.

Before moving to NY, I was a huge flyfishing fan on most of the west"s great rivers. Since the move, I've chased steelhead, stripers and frenzied sharks a few times. I've learned I simply don't have the time to work and do anything more than maintain the farm on a regular basis.

I also LOVE to travel. I am working on a bucket list of visiting all 50 states. To date I have been in 45 states and DC. We are planning another trip out west and hope to mark New Mexico off the list in 2017. I have been all around it but missed NM somehow. Oregon, Iowa, Kansas, and Hawaii will be left then.

I also enjoy study of the War Between the States. You Yanks call it the Civil War, but we wont get into that ;)
I have read dozens of books on the subject. I have visited all the major and many of the minor battlefields and historic sites from Mississippi to Pennsylvania.
I also like researching my Confederate ancestors and their contributions to the war. My son and I are members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans which is basically a civic group that exists for assuring the Confederate soldiers good name is honored.

I also like the study of genealogy

So, what I have learned so far:
#1 - I need to talk to Blizzard about my football picks
#2 - Be nice to Pinetag..... He can kick my butt 3 different ways!
#3 - Okie can tell me how to make my GTO go faster than it really should!
#4 - W33kender has good taste in music.
#5 - 3C may be good for a few golf pointers.....I need more than a few (I call it whack @#$% - because that is what you hear when I play.....the club strike the ball "whack" and then you hear me shout "@#$%")
#6 - If I go anywhere with G3......I'm driving! And if I hear, "it's a little off the beaten path" from him......I'm just going to get out and walk home - cause he is just plain crazy!
#7 - Got a couple fisherman floating around (see what I did there?)
#8 - Podad is spying on all the states to see how feasible it is to re-establish the southern confederation......just so we are clear my family has been traced back to Arkansas!
#9 - as for Razorback.....well I guess I'm going to have to look past the whole "cards fan" thing...I knew something wasn't right about him:D

Hopefully others continue to chime in as I think learning more about each other is great.

So, what I have learned so far:
#1 - I need to talk to Blizzard about my football picks
#2 - Be nice to Pinetag..... He can kick my butt 3 different ways!
#3 - Okie can tell me how to make my GTO go faster than it really should!
#4 - W33kender has good taste in music.
#5 - 3C may be good for a few golf pointers.....I need more than a few (I call it whack @#$% - because that is what you hear when I play.....the club strike the ball "whack" and then you hear me shout "@#$%")
#6 - If I go anywhere with G3......I'm driving! And if I hear, "it's a little off the beaten path" from him......I'm just going to get out and walk home - cause he is just plain crazy!
#7 - Got a couple fisherman floating around (see what I did there?)
#8 - Podad is spying on all the states to see how feasible it is to re-establish the southern confederation......just so we are clear my family has been traced back to Arkansas!
#9 - as for Razorback.....well I guess I'm going to have to look past the whole "cards fan" thing...I knew something wasn't right about him:D

Hopefully others continue to chime in as I think learning more about each other is great.

What I've learned about you is I want to have a few beers with you.

What I've learned about you is I want to have a few beers with you.
Well Jonesboro isn't quite in my backyard, but if I'm ever in the neighborhood I'll let you know. Closest I have come is Dexter, MO....and that's for work. I figure we have to see the lighter side of life, because to be honest the rest of the world is just depressing. They say laugh or cry, well I'd rather laugh!

I tell my girls you can either be happy or sad, about any situation. I choose to go to bed and wake up happy. It's a lot more fun that way.

Thinking about the question I realize I've tended to explore a lot of things over time.
I had a lengthy stent extreme skiing. Took helicopters to places they probably shouldn't have gone and went skiing in some of the most beautiful backcountry on earth.I would hunt all winter then head for the mountains. Marriage forced a decision. I still hunt.

Had a lengthy stent mountain climbing. Did most all of the mountains in Colorado. Spent an extended time in Nepal climbing. Overlooked Everest base camp at daylight. Quite magnificent.

Spent many years [ still do ] with endurance sports. Marathon, triathlon...did three 70.3 races between 57 and 60 yrs old. Countless other races.

Have loved aviation since hi school. Got my license when I was 18. My entire career focused on figuring ways to afford flying and hunting. Still flying at 62.

Avid gardener for many years. Fully organic. Learned early on that the quality of life can be defined by the quality of health and energy.

Now I find my 3 yr old grandson takes my breath away. Much of my diminishing brain power is spent on assuring I have as many years with him as Grace will allow. His favorite song...Huntin, Fishing, and loving everyday . Love that kid!

Very interesting thread. Golf was my passion outside of work and particularly after the kids were grown. Played a lot of golf and had the good fortune to play some of the great courses here and abroad. Played in so many member guest tourneys I couldn't count them. Won my share of em. Interesting thing just happened yesterday...I called the club I belong to and canceled my membership. Just finished our member-guest and quite honestly, I couldn't wait for it to be over. That is really weird coming from a guy that 6 years ago figured I would retire and golf just about everyday. I seldom play any more and decided the cash I was burning at the club and hardly ever playing could be utilized better elsewhere...like a cultipacker, Redneck blind, cab for tractor...ahhhh...the list never ends. Truth is ever since I purchased land and built the cabin, I'd rather be there than doing anything else. Hope that never changes but if it does I can always take up golf again.

And...back in the day I had a bad to the bone muscle car...67 Chevelle. 327, high rise intake, headers, 650 holley. I could see myself getting one of those again...

Lastly...I've always wanted to play the piano. May take that up some day.

Triple C,

Do not hesitate on the piano. You won't regret takeing the leap. Music is such a great outlet and you do not need to spend a wad to enjoy the instrument.

You may come back to golf. But probably not as a club member. I think you will play a good bit but pay less than the membership. :)

Hats off to you, Baker. All that competition between 57 and 60 years of age. Gracious.

After reading that and remembering your deer managing posts, I think you should be doing Dos Eckies commercials.

Back