Opinions

useyourbow

What would be best?
Scenario: The land I am hunting has a year old clear cut that is encased by an existing farm/logging road. In the south west corner on this road is an existing wood tower/shooting house. The road comes in at a 90 degree angle forming a perfect "L" type corner. My first thought was to clear an acre with a dozer,a square food plot but was wondering if simply planting road for 200 yards in both directions with cutover on one side and woods on the other would make a better layout for deer usage. Based on my measurements I should get the same planted square footage. Thoughts.

Thinner and longer are always better IMO. Edges. I don't believe the word can be said enough. Not only that when you have the shooting house in a corner then it gives shorter stretches which is good also. I would think planting the road edges would be your best bet. jmho

My OPINION - Depends on what your wanting to plant. If your planting perennials (clovers and chicory) or fall annuals (cereal grains and brassica) - I would simply plant the roads and see how that goes. IF your wanting to plant say corn or even soybeans I would clear an actual plot as these will need more direct sunlight and less competition to thrive. You can always expand into a square plot if needed later. The deer will feel safer in a narrow plot with cover near by. Also make sure you have enough cover to get into and out of your shooting house without spooking deer. if it's right on top of the area to be plotted this will be very important. I would also suggest pulling down some licking branches along the edges as well to help the deer communicate and maybe keep a buck busy a little longer for you to get a shot.

useyourbow, nice to see you over here from the other NC site. A lot of knowledge and valuable information here.

Ditto, I can't imagine the guys doing this 20-30 years ago and the difficulties they faced in regards to planting and managing. If you like reading, steve bartyllas book on deer management is a good read. Im working on second time through. Spends a lot of time talking about layout of a property and techniques beyond simply planting a food plot.

I think it could hinge a little on your stand access. Evenings is prime food plot hunting. I always try and structure things so I can slip out, when possible.

Is the road edge opposite the trees cleared of stumps? If so, it would make it much easier to prep and plant. If not, and you bring in equipment to prep for planting, I'd have em clear out a destination food plot as well.

I like the idea of planting the road. Especially if it is an L shape (if I understand correctly). Not only will the deer feel more comfortable feeding close to cover but what that also does is make the buck come out and check the plot out since he can't see the entire plot from cover. In a large square plot he can just poke his head out of the trees and see if there are does feeding. In the L shape he won't have a clear view of the entire plot which may give you a better chance of harvesting that big buck. If you are just wanting a destination plot then the square plot would work. So if it was me and I was wanting this to be a kill plot I would plant the road and save the money on the dozer work.

todd

Consideration should be had for the amount of sunlight reaching each of the legs of the L. Not just now but also over the next several years as the cut side fills back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always like to fly into the face of consensus! I'm not quite sure I have the picture of the situation correct in my mind. so, with those two apologies out of the way, let me say, I'm always wanting to stop and reconsider the question, especially if a road or a trail is involved. Do you want to travel the same path(s) where deer will be feeding? I'm not opposed to it, but the sharing of the space, IF I have the picture correct, has to be a consideration, does it not?

If I convert the road into a food plot I will cease using it as a means to get around. The way that it lays out I don't have a need to go that way. However if I was to use a dozer and make a square plot I would either have the dozer push debris up to create a vision barrier along the path to the shooting house or build another.

I planted my roads out of both necessity and ability. Right now I have very little open space that can be planted, but have tons of thick cover. The cover doesnt provide much food after summer so my "gap" so to speak was fall and winter food. Without removing cover the only way I could immediate fill the gap was to widen my roads and plant. I have a few occasions where im sure deer winded me coming to the plot. But my father killed a 2.5 year old 8pt walking down the same road as him 20 mins after sun up. There is definitely a trade off and impact there, but it can still benefit you to plant the road even if you have to walk one side of it.

Based only on your username, I'd guess you are a bow hunter in which case if you are wanting the food plot for shooting deer on, a 200 yard long road isn't going to help much....Just something else to consider.

Back