Normal for soybeans?

Twolftg

Is the yellowing on the lower leaves normal for soybeans, I don't seem to remember it on my previous plots.
received_10157381812820397.jpeg received_10157381812620397.jpeg

I belive on these outer rows, they were these beens the inner rows were real world beans.received_10157383428780397.jpeg

I know they yellow and fall off but I wouldn't think it would happen in the beginning of August, from what I saw they are all flowing. To be honest I walked past that edge of the feild to pull my camera to move it to my bear bait. So I didn't really get out there, maybe I will walk the rows this weekend to dig deeper.

I see that too sometimes - I know I lack in Calcium, and sometimes Phosphorus - and I blame my not so perfect soils - but then again - I get some pretty perfect looking spots as well. it almost looks like a fungus -

Yes it is normal for most beans and at the density shown in your pictures. Lower leaves provide little photosynthetic benefit to the plant, thus the plant mobilizes nutrients from lower leaves and casts them....just about all plants do this 'catabolism' as maturity advances....grasses start at about 5 leaf stage as example. Old leaves are 'retired'.....even on healthy soil...but may not be apparent on very high fertility, irrigated and well drained soil. Leaf cast is most evident in beans when pods develop as the leaf serves as a 'nutrient reserve' for the seeds in the pods! Extreme weather conditions can promote leaf casting as well. Plants look healthy to me....some minor rust....some minor soil pH issues! When was the last liming and potash application?

Yes it is normal for most beans and at the density shown in your pictures. Lower leaves provide little photosynthetic benefit to the plant, thus the plant mobilizes nutrients from lower leaves and casts them....just about all plants do this 'catabolism' as maturity advances....grasses start at about 5 leaf stage as example. Old leaves are 'retired'.....even on healthy soil...but may not be apparent on very high fertility, irrigated and well drained soil. Leaf cast is most evident in beans when pods develop as the leaf serves as a 'nutrient reserve' for the seeds in the pods! Extreme weather conditions can promote leaf casting as well. Plants look healthy to me....some minor rust....some minor soil pH issues! When was the last liming and potash application?
Two years ago, definitely needs some lime. The plants have really started to flower and go into pod production which matches up with the yellowing. Thanks for the help all.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Follow up, there was still some yellowing on the lower leaves but other than that the plants seem to be doing fine, Dgallow seems to have been on top of it.
beans8-27.jpg
2beans8-27.jpg
The deer seem to be enjoying them already.
1beans8-27.jpg

Back