My fence project

Bullwinkle

IMG_6721.JPG IMG_6722.JPG The DNR inspected my fence for cost sharing this week. I got my 5 acre deer fence up this fall. Doing another 3 acre fence this spring

The DNR said he could notice the browse change in and out of the fence looking at some hemlocks but I think he's stretching it

We are logging inside the fence this winter. He wanted the fence up this year because of the huge acorn year in '15 and the big maple regen 3 or 4 years ago

We had 7 holes in the fence from deer busting through it the first month. None the last month

Fun project. I'll post pictures the next 5 years to see the difference inside and outside.

8' plastic fence. It's what the DNR recommends. Easy to put up and handle. Problem is the deer can bust through it.

So this is a project to simply exclude deer from a small specific area to see their impact on browse and regen and the like? I would suggest setting up specifc locations and dates and taking annual pictures from those locations to actually see the changes. It will be more dramatic when reviewing the pictures later than you will remember as you will see the gradual changes over time.

It would be interesting to see how the logging will impact both inside and outside your enclosure as well......just a thought.

Sounds like a real interesting project.

I am going to plan on doing so.

The purpose of the project is oak regen. I am going to add some norways in the cutting in small bunches for bedding spots. The DNR claims a good logger can log without destroying the fence

It's going to make some awesome pinch points to

Imagine -

Between the 3 and 5 acre fence is a 1.25 acre in woods food plot. Three sides around the area is bedding and one side a farm field.

I can't wait to hunt those corners. It will be interesting to see if the deer get comfortable in the food plot having only 2 directions for exit route. The narrowest side is 60 yards, the wide side is over 100 yards

Chad - the Dnr wants me to keep it up 5-7 years after cutting. Trees need to get above the browse line

Hoping to cut this fall

We got the first fence repaired from a huge storm that came through. Funny, had to kick deer out. We also got the second fence finished today. I now have about 8 acres protected from the deer

So after 6 yrs you take the fence down and it's back to where it was 6 yrs earlier in 2 months? :) couldn't you get the same results by just planting a bunch of oaks and protecting them with tree tubes?
It's a cool research project though. Will be interesting to follow.

Brutus - that's not the plan. I toured some fence projects in the area with the Dnr as we planned this. They grow in thick and nasty with heavy stem count. You just need the time to get the trees above the deer so they can't stun them. Right now I can cover 20 acres of woods with one tree stand.

I'll also create huge diversity and edge affect which will be awesome

I am logging on both sides of the fence. I'll document the progress on each side.

Brutus - that's not the plan. I toured some fence projects in the area with the Dnr as we planned this. They grow in thick and nasty with heavy stem count. You just need the time to get the trees above the deer so they can't stun them. Right now I can cover 20 acres of woods with one tree stand.

I'll also create huge diversity and edge affect which will be awesome

I am logging on both sides of the fence. I'll document the progress on each side.
Too many deer in the area...

Yes I have too many deer for oak regen, not for deer hunting - thus the fence

The weak links on my farm are limited thermal cover -planted 15,000+ norways- and I have a couple of 40's that don't have a high enough stem count - this fence project will take care of a key 40 I hope

I can see that the fence project will increase stem count and oak regen and it will be interesting but I'm not convinced it's going to do much more than a timber harvest would.
If there's too many deer for the habitat to sustain then it won't take long for your stem count to be back to where it is now once the fence is removed.

Yes I have too many deer for oak regen, not for deer hunting - thus the fence

The weak links on my farm are limited thermal cover -planted 15,000+ norways- and I have a couple of 40's that don't have a high enough stem count - this fence project will take care of a key 40 I hope
You do know you can have great deer hunting and oak regen at the same time without a fence to protect trees...

I don't doubt guys you like your deer hunting. Everything is realavant. I also like what I have going on. Sturgis plan protects tree from April -August. I have enough deer during season to make it fun

I bought this land for deer hunting. I could care less about making money on timber. During my cut I don't plan to take an oak. It's all about the deer. We have less deer now than when I bought it. Browse lines are getting better. It's an absolute ball hunting in Waupaca county. Seeing 0-4 deer a sit wouldn't be interesting to me even if it meant a 150". Yes I am spoiled, but I did this purposely.

This is a fun project. The stem count I hope will make awesome bedding. I plan to add some clumps of norways to add some thermal in these to help

I have been trying to tell Bull that for years. Glad some one else is saying it.
Tom - remember you also told me sharp shooters were planned for Waupaca county. You turned down my Reconyx bet and come to find out the CDAC is very happy with the doe kill in '16 even though it missed goal significantly????

Funny you're calling yourself out as a voice should follow?

I see deer every sit, normally 8-10. Sometimes 20-25. I have no browse lines, never have. And I have numerous 150s every year. I know you think Waupaca is heaven, but I don't see it.

Back