Multiple sprayings for resistant weeds?

I wanted the plot to be a mix of sunflowers and millet. I'm flexible though and will gladly do whatever it takes to keep this crop of weeds from becoming an issue next yr. I could burn it down right now and plant this weekend, or wait until fall and put in my cereal grains mix.

It is amine...

Thanks for the herbicide numbers. I'm right on with my gly but haven't been mixing 24d with it. I should have on burndown. I've been trying to use straight 24d in my spot spraying as I don't like to kill a bunch of 2 foot circles in the pastures or plots when I hit thistle and sericea. Dead spots seem to attract more problems.

We use quite a bit of straight 24d in the pastures to control thistles and it works fine, if you can get ahold of some Callisto that will extend the residual.

I would think that if you sprayed it now with 24d and waited to plant chicory until the end of Aug if possible you should be ok, or you could plant rye and then frost seed the chicory into it in the spring? I would go for the second one just to be safe, but Ive never planted chicory before.

Herbicide is a tool under holistic management.....just one among several tools for weed control listed in the HMI manual. If 2,4-D is the most favorable choice on alfalfa in terms of economics, social issues and ecology then use it!

Mow each weed (or use high stock density) you mention at the right time and there are few issues in a fallow plot or a well managed pasture...spray ain't needed! Ag or hay field different context due to potential for stored feed or grain contamination with weeds or weed seeds. Again...HMI is about context first....then choosing the most applicable tool for that context.

Organic no-till is tough logistics for sure. Some now attempting that are using tillage to break the sod first then starting the organic no-till process with diverse cover crops and diverse cash crop rotation. That is more favorable for soil health and function than frequent heavy tillage common to current organic systems which destroys soil structure.

Why not just scalp the alfalfa field next spring for a final hay cutting to suppress whatever is there, then run the corn planter right behind the baler. What is it going to hurt to let alfalfa regrow under corn? Dent corn is $3...not much margin there. You'd be out cost of open pollinated non-GMO seed plus planting expense. Then sell as non-GMO corn or seed or producer certified organic....maybe a few more $/bu in sales. What's the risk on 5ac?....could you sleep well at night risking only 5 ac?

Its something that worth looking into a little more, but the logistics absolutly suck, for less than 1000bu Ive got to clean the combine out from front to back and store it seperate from the rest. Its 50miles one way to the nearest place that takes organic, IF theyre even still open. Ill do some investigating on non GMO but it boils back down to its gotta pay. We did some figuring with a guy one time and if everything goes right theres a good profit in it, but one problem that you wouldnt have in a GMO field can wipe out any extra profit there is or even lose money. Im open to anything, but Ive got to be able to net as much as I would normally.
If I lived farther east this wouldnt be as big of a deal, but we are in an area that can have significant resistant CRW pressure, and though we use insecticide at planting and CRW resistant hybrids, it still scares the bejesus out of me.

Forgot to add that one of my biggest hangups with cover crops is showing its face this year, when taking my son to daycare I drive by an irrigated pivot of beans that was planted into rye and from what Ive seen it was done right, and despite having about 6" of rain the third week of may, before these beans were planted, the ones where the rye looked the best are really hurting in the corners, because weve had less than an inch for all of June. The rye sucked up the moisture and it hasnt been recharged, whereas the spots that had almost no rye are doing pretty well considering.

Last edited:
So, what I'm gathering is that I should plant millet right now and not let it mature. Maybe keep it mowed a couple of times during the summer? This fall is gets replaced with cereal rye (why won't wheat work?).
We have very little marestail in pasture, I see a plant periodically here and there but not many. The issue is mainly in my plots that has been throw-n-mow... and are not being grazed at all due to the fact that they are basically my yard. No fence yet.
The mullins in the background is growing on soil disturbed when we built our house. Very rocky and steep site. My hope is to get Big/Little bluestem and Indian grass on that rocky slop but it's been nothing but mullins, sumac, and redbud since the machinery went through it.

You will need either high stock density short duration impact or Rx Fire to get LB IG and BB back on the disturbed site....provided their seed is shallow in the latent seed bank....time would be better spent IMO seeding it to switchgrass to get a good litter bank and SOM established....then manage against switch to bring out the other native grasses. That seems a bit contrary but switch is more of an early succession NWSG on upland sites....the others are mid succession. SG is superior on disturbed land IME.....getting soil quality to the point favorable for other NWSG.

I would seed plot to brown and/or porso Millets sunflower and buckwheat.....then mow for thatch to cover seed and set back growth of mares tail......let mix grow to flowering stage then mow again when you seed winter mix.....this summer mix will inhibit germination of new summer weeds but won't choke out existing weeds. Rye has a greater weed suppressing effect than wheat......a 50:50 mix of rye:wheat is okay.....should do well to suppress mares tail next year. Seed chicory at the same time as rye.....use a companion small seed legume like red clover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How'd it go getting those marestail? I went by some of the ones I sprayed with that hot 2-4d mix awhile back
4bb1cdb263337b07586b9b0d842b45f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is a test patch in my yard.

They got hit about mid June with 3oz/gal of gly.

Then a couple of weeks later they were hit with 1.5oz/gal of 2,4d.

Finally they were hit with a mix of 3oz/gal of gly, and 3oz/gal of 2,4d a week or two ago.

A couple of the plants will recover, I think the rest are done for. Tough suckers!
d9ba301347db54991c645cdc44a078d4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

This is a test patch in my yard.

They got hit about mid June with 3oz/gal of gly.

Then a couple of weeks later they were hit with 1.5oz/gal of 2,4d.

Finally they were hit with a mix of 3oz/gal of gly, and 3oz/gal of 2,4d a week or two ago.

A couple of the plants will recover, I think the rest are done for. Tough suckers!
d9ba301347db54991c645cdc44a078d4.jpg

Yes they are, but you half added your one shot! Lol

To make sense of this, a guy we used to know sold chemicals, fertilizer, etc. He taught dad a lot about chemicals. When Rup and such were starting to be less effective, he told Dad the most important thing about killing weeds with chemicals.
That is: You gotta think about killing weeds like your gonna step into the ring with Ali, if you try to rabbit punch him, all you're gonna do is piss him off and he'll knock your ass out! But, if you sneak up and surprise him with a haymaker, you just might get lucky! You only get one shot!

So anyway, that's always stuck with him, for most weeds especially one like marestail, if you mess around with cut rates or with the wrong stuff, they're gonna beat you, like you've found out. But a proper rate of the right chemical, and you'll smoke them every time!

In my area of Kansas you cannot effectively control marestail and pigweed with RU.If you could even the farmers would be spraying it instead of paraquat and interline.I bet in the area around me 80% of the farmers I know will be planting liberty next year and they believe that maybe after using it for a few years they will be able to use RU again.If they spray paraquat you still have to spray RU for the grass.

3oz per gallon of gly didn't seemed lite to me. Never had a problem before but the weeds that buckdeer1 is talking about have found their way to my place. Time to buy some different chemical and electric fence and kick some butt.

I'm no expert, but it seems like marestail is one of the worst about getting pissed off if you don't kill it the first time. It's like it goes into protection mode.

It happens to all of us, trust me. One year we let the coop talk us into spraying Rup with 32% as a carrier, great idea, except all it did was piss the fireweeds off, and then there was nothing that could kill them in the corn, we had some 8-10ft tall fireweeds that year

Back