May regret it...

OkieKubota

Staff member
Normally in August here it is hot and just absolutely dusty dry but we got word over a week ago that a low pressure system would be dominating for awhile. I have the seed and I have gotten most of the fields prepped but have yet to put any seed down. It has rained some most every day since last Friday but only small amounts with the most being .57 last night. It has showered some today as well.

I am thinking I should have gone with my gut when I saw that low pressure system moving in and at least got my brassicas in but I remember the years I tried to plant in August and the hoppers and dry weather got them. My window is getting shorter and shorter with me going to have to commit to brushhogging for fall for all my paying customers and our bow opener coming the 1st of October. Once the Brushhog go's back on this month it stays on as I have several big properties to mow. Will probably take all of September to get done...

I may need to plant Saturday even though rain chances aren't that great following...my planting window is closing due to work...I have asked others and they keep saying wait for September but I may not have that luxury...anybody else dealing with "planting time stress"?

I took the gamble and planted my brassicas about 10 days ago. I've had the rain you have had. Better to be lucky than good some times. If it gets hot and they die I'll just go over with WR and oats in September.

Stress, Ya.

Planted my clover/rye plot on July 22
Since then 1 rain event for a 1/10th, one 1/4in, and hot n dry. Missed three other really nice 1inch plus events by mere miles.
Hoping I only lost less than 20% of seed due to germ & dieback from stress.
That is exactly why I planted slightly heaver than recommended.

Will find out soon as Sunday we got a half inch, plus another inch today.
Praying for solid signs of a green flush of new growth.

Not dealing with it anymore. My last one went in the ground yesterday. Part of the reason was the same things you mentioned - I had time right now but unsure about later. And good rains for the present.

I did a spur of the moment brassica plot a week and a half ago because there was rain forecast with milder temperatures for over a week. It was about a week later than recommended for mid Missouri but we have had great rain since and it seems to have worked out perfect. Not sure about Oklahoma but maybe when you have the time that's the right time.

No stress here. I've only four properties to plant on, from here at home, thirty minutes away, an hour away, and two hours away. Nah, no stress........o_O

IMO you should've at least done a partial planting early, brassica needs some time to grow, it's rather slow to get going. Don't you ever spray for hoppers? I had them once and my farmer friend gave me a few ounces of something that really wiped them out.

IMO you should've at least done a partial planting early, brassica needs some time to grow, it's rather slow to get going. Don't you ever spray for hoppers? I had them once and my farmer friend gave me a few ounces of something that really wiped them out.

When I say hoppers I mean biblical proportions...we have a reprieve this year.

f4e43dab46ef39f6a88f1877f3fcec48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to attempt to get everything in the ground Saturday. We got about 2.5" over the past 5 days. We have a few small chances of rain in the future and my time is up on this deal...every spare dry moment after work and weekends I will probably be brushhogging (side job) until beginning of October because this is the busy season for that.

When I say hoppers I mean biblical proportions...we have a reprieve this year.

f4e43dab46ef39f6a88f1877f3fcec48.jpg

I thought you meant leaf hoppers, we get leaf hoppers on our clover and alfalfa sometimes. That does look like a plague of biblical proportions. I don't know if there's even a pesticide made that stops those guys?

Plot here on the hollow went in yesterday due to a 40% chance of rain for last night and we got nothing. Showing hot and dry for the foreseeable future. I saved some seed back in case I need to overseed later.

I am heading to our other property to plant today and then down to our deer lease to complete a throw n mow field and then I have 2 small properties to Brushhog for clients tomorrow afternoon. My tractor moves on to a big job from there that takes me a couple weeks to complete and then a few smaller jobs to wind the season down by our bow opener on October 1st...

82d5fe0c9359998c3898e922f6f22756.jpg

97684129acae39a24fd9e250fc01daa5.jpg

a1814b0d06ecb55f147e52360d5cc327.jpg

Look closely and you can see the basketball size flint rock I deal with...

b86e8c3873259e267c0c9651278cf3ec.jpg

Johnny, I planted on Tuesday of this week by disking and packing the seed in moist soil. Then on Wednesday, we got another rain. I checked on Friday and already have seed germinating. I can see clover, brassicas and grains for sure already.

Last edited:
Plot here on the hollow went in yesterday due to a 40% chance of rain for last night and we got nothing. Showing hot and dry for the foreseeable future. I saved some seed back in case I need to overseed later.

I am heading to our other property to plant today and then down to our deer lease to complete a throw n mow field and then I have 2 small properties to Brushhog for clients tomorrow afternoon. My tractor moves on to a big job from there that takes me a couple weeks to complete and then a few smaller jobs to wind the season down by our bow opener on October 1st...

82d5fe0c9359998c3898e922f6f22756.jpg

97684129acae39a24fd9e250fc01daa5.jpg

a1814b0d06ecb55f147e52360d5cc327.jpg

Look closely and you can see the basketball size flint rock I deal with...

b86e8c3873259e267c0c9651278cf3ec.jpg

I hope you get that much needed rain soon! Pennsylvania is in the midst of the wettest summer I can ever remember, we could spare some moisture for ya.

Back