Live from the stand 2016!

Sad story for me today. Ive seen my target buck 3x this past week. The last time was this morning. Gun came in Saturday, but i of sound mind and body opted to take the bow.
Hour after daylight on this frosty morning, i see the buck about 75 yards out. I grunted twice and without pause that buck came running.
I picked up my bow, attached the release and turned my head to see him 20 yards behind the tree. He picks the wrong side for me and i have to turn around facing the tree to shoot and i had to do it quick. At 15 yards i draw and he nails me. I hold forever as he stares me down. Uh oh. He turns and leaves in a hurry.
It happens. Not much else i could do.
30 minutes later my neighbor blasts away and i get a sick feeling. Then he sent me the pic. 150 class 9 point with a forked G2.
Thats how it rolls in gun season.

Congratulations Fish on a great week of bow hunting. Your neighbor may have gotten the deer and good for him; you though had the thrill of SO-ALMOST over and over which made for a great hunt. You and your neighbor both should be congratulated and I'm betting you may be carrying the bow again next opening day as well. When one really likes to hunt with a certain weapon or technique even though it is not as efficient as others are using then that is what one enjoys the most and that is what is most important. A few spectacular huge deer the inefficiencies of your choice HAVE and WILL cost you over the years is far outweighed by the satisfaction you likely have hunting your preferred way. Again congratulations on your great week of bow hunting.

0900532cd254638dd736bf89804dc851.jpg

Beautiful frosty sunrise. Day 2 of gun season on Oklahoma.

Both Oklahoma teams won yesterday setting up for a Big 12 Championship Bedlam showdown next week in Norman

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Beautiful frosty sunrise. Day 2 of gun season on Oklahoma.

Both Oklahoma teams won yesterday setting up for a Big 12 Championship Bedlam showdown next week in Norman

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Looks like "frost on the pumpkin" in Arkansas and Oklahoma! Good luck all. I saw couple groups of does and yearlings yesterday. So glad the resident wildlife find the 25 acres of Mandy Hollow a good place to hang out.

Last edited:
We've had 2 does so far, no bucks yet. The ducks are here though. They are tearing it up just west of me on the black river management area from the sound of it. Duck gumbo sounds good right now.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Just shot a small spike. Very windy and snow starting to fall here. Was shocked to see him.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Good shot! I always feel like the meat will be so much better when killed in cold weather. And you have the snow too!

This is the buck I shot yesterday evening late that I was looking for...no luck :(

009.JPG

While I was over there looking this morning this buck showed up in our south plot...is that a small drop tine I see?

158.JPG

Back at it this evening. The weather has sure turned shitty. 30+ mph winds this afternoon but it's settled down somewhat. Need to fill a doe tag and call it done for a season so my wife won't feel like a hunters widow much longer (but then it's almost snowmobile season)
de5ec8f2a1d43bf9f3fb180dd658c8d8.jpg

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Extremely windy here the last 36 hours or so. Not much moving. I sat in the river bottom trying to escape the wind.

3e59d871367e14883ae8faf1adff6ad4.jpg

e991d5c6e2e61e5914e3f6c4cda6bd22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No luck...have to make a killing shot to find them...we gave it our all and all 3 of us are worn out
Dang! Tough luck. Despite that, your season is going quite well in terms of encounters with mature bucks. Hopefully he'll survive and you will meet again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Congratulations Fish on a great week of bow hunting. Your neighbor may have gotten the deer and good for him; you though had the thrill of SO-ALMOST over and over which made for a great hunt. You and your neighbor both should be congratulated and I'm betting you may be carrying the bow again next opening day as well. When one really likes to hunt with a certain weapon or technique even though it is not as efficient as others are using then that is what one enjoys the most and that is what is most important. A few spectacular huge deer the inefficiencies of your choice HAVE and WILL cost you over the years is far outweighed by the satisfaction you likely have hunting your preferred way. Again congratulations on your great week of bow hunting.
Brought a smile to my face. You are wise, Mr. Chainsaw.

While I was over there looking this morning this buck showed up in our south plot...is that a small drop tine I see?

View attachment 4650[/QUOTE]
Looks like the main beam from the other side maybe?

No luck...have to make a killing shot to find them...we gave it our all and all 3 of us are worn out
I really hate that of you Okie. I got on here tonight just to see your buck in pics, I was so sure you would get him. I'm bummed as I'm sure you are. I know it is how hunting can be, but sure hurts. I know how I felt when I whiffed that arrow over the back early in the season. Hard to bring ones own leg up to kick yourself in the ass, I tried. Don't suppose your fence sitters made off with him do you? Good luck, you have had one heck of a year so far. I'm envious.

Back