Live from the stand 2016!

Wife shot a buck with her compound this morning at around 20 yards. Arrow got only about 4" penetration and the deer ran out of sight and then he started walking. No froth in the blood at all. Deer meandered along a shelf for 300 yards and then stopped and pulled the arrow out. Broadhead lost a blade and the tip was bent like it hit bone.
Deer dropped into creek bottom and then headed uphill and we lost blood when he crossed a road. Deer never bedded and just kept moving. I could see nothing that would lead me to believe he wouldn't be fine. Wife is beating herself up about it but IMO there was nothing she could have done better. Second buck she saw and it was following a doe and she grunted it off the doe to close to her position...

Saw a small spike at sunrise then had to leave for a skeet shoot. Wife called and said there was a buck and a doe in the back yard while I was shooting skeet. Go figure.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

In the tree on the Home 10 right now.
Had a dandy buck 40 yards at Little Blue 40 yesterday. He sparred with a 6 ptr and then headed out behind the does that were at one time under the stand.
Definitely exciting in the deer woods right now.

2998d540a425a0179cedddd68b3b4aa2.jpg

At it again 0 so far sitting over a raddish plot with thick bedding behind me pond to my right and crp in front crap it is hot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not in a stand because we went to Eli's last soccer game and out to eat and the wife and I were sitting here watching a movie when she went and looked out the kitchen window a few minutes ago and gasped! We have a really big 9 point and an 8 point feeding and birddogging a doe in our backyard...it is getting ready to be magical!

We have a really big 9 point and an 8 point feeding and birddogging a doe in our backyard...it is getting ready to be magical!

I cant wait for the day I can say that!! I am so sick of living in a freaking town, no matter the size. No hunting for me today. Catch up in the shop and take in a few new projects for work. The weather is supposed to cool slightly for the week. Rifle season starts Saturday so my serious deer hunting will be over in 5 days, got to make the most of it!

Last edited:
About 1/2 mile down the road 2 big mature shooter bucks were squaring off on one another. a couple of does were nearby...definitely getting good - rain today and then all heck should break loose the rest of this week...I have 8 days of bowhunting starting tomorrow morning to try to capitalize on this activity!

Son and I hunted sun pm, seen 7 doe & two bucks. One basket rack and one decent 8. The 8 followed a doe into the food plot and watched her eat for 30 minutes never getting closer than 50yds to her, other than that no real Rut activity seen.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

I was on the river bottom this morning. Saw a bunch but all bucks were 2 or younger. One yearling spike chasing does all over the place. My ankle needed a break from the long walk to the river so I'm back on the field, this time with a doe decoy to hopefully entice a buck into bow range.
b69309311a79d5c07e8ae225fa05cf06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are finally getting some rain!:) I wont complain as it is long over due. Supposed to stop around 5 so I will give it a shot the last couple hours of the day today as its just a light steady rain.

So he's not the one I was after but the mood just struck me. It was fairly early in evening and he actually looked bigger on the hoof, but the right side is broken up from fighting so he had some ground shrinkage. He would have been an 8.
0c03a1fa8905e471da8332e8672221c9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I don't see any holes in him. No blood either. Looks like he'a asleep against the tree. What did you do put him in a trance ?

We are finally getting some rain!:) I wont complain as it is long over due. Supposed to stop around 5 so I will give it a shot the last couple hours of the day today as its just a light steady rain.
I wish we were getting rain. Haven't seen a drop sunce hurricane Matthew dumped about 8 inches in 2 days on us. Our food plots are drying out.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Well it has rained lightly on and off today. It's 56 with a light north wind and overcast. Seen a doe and a spike up moving around 11:30 as I was checking cameras. Decided to sit from 12:30 to dark. This is the first day I have hunted that it actually feels cool and that I need more then a t-shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I wish we were getting rain. Haven't seen a drop sunce hurricane Matthew dumped about 8 inches in 2 days on us. Our food plots are drying out.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
treeman i live 50 mi from the NC/SC line we had a 20 min. rain 2 weeks ago its dry i planted 7 crab apples 5 day be for the hurricane last mon.. went out and put 2 gal. of water on each tree have 3 apples and 2 pears comming i think they say rain in 7 to 10 days

I don't see any holes in him. No blood either. Looks like he'a asleep against the tree. What did you do put him in a trance ?
Actually, the entry is on the other side and it decimated both shoulders so no exit hole. Bone on the right side was shattered and left side was pretty busted up too. The bullet probably flattened like a pancake. He didn't go 20 yards.

Back at it today. 35°, clear and calm. Another beautiful morning to be in the woods. Unfortunately I was running late and got in stand right at shooting light.

Rut is cranking here! 3 bucks so far.

Grunted first one straight to me at first light.

2nd one followed a doe and 2 fawns in and chased the doe all around. Another doe walked up while he was here and he chased her out of sight.

A nice 9 pointer walked by next and saw the doe and fawns and headed quickly their way...

Rainy and 58 with an east wind.

I am on the hollow...

Unfortunately poachers also out in force :(

5 separate shots in different areas so far that I have heard...

It's archery only now...

Back at it today. 35°, clear and calm. Another beautiful morning to be in the woods. Unfortunately I was running late and got in stand right at shooting light.

Beautiful morning indeed in VA. Too bad nothing is moving at least not around me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back