Live from the stand 2016!

Not real excited about this forecast for last 3 days of muzzleloader season 2016

76babb0afc6a65aa1f1437e0ccf4efc8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I jinxed us buying my high dollar winter camo last year.

Temps like that I would be at work instead regardless of what season it is. I'm already pushing my vacation b/c of temps, even giving up one good day as it's not worth the drive to hunt one good day when it'll hit 80 the next two days.

After no hunting for 2+ weeks made it put this morn. Had to leave early for appt. This is not the best of stands this time of yr but easy access. South wind yuk. Calm. 50 deg. Can't believe leaves still hanging. Few non shooters but nothing exciting. Hope go back this evening but warm. Serious hunting starting late next wk. scrapes have opened up.
241a245b3be5f55ae56cac96b9803d41.jpg

Temps like that I would be at work instead regardless of what season it is. I'm already pushing my vacation b/c of temps, even giving up one good day as it's not worth the drive to hunt one good day when it'll hit 80 the next two days.

Still plenty of days off. I have 9 more scheduled off not including holidays and weekends and STILL have to find another 5 days to take off before the end of the year just to use up my use or lose to get down to 240 hour carryover...

A bad day hunting is better than a great day at work...at least for me it is...

This oldest we own ladder stand is going to have to move again soon because I have a big heavily leaning dying red oak that is going to take this stand out when it comes down...

8870bce75f9c1d9e0836567bf7e8de7f.jpg

7053d65e70362c5fcc03a58c6422dd99.jpg

A lot of red oaks have already broken and fallen all around this stand since I placed it many years ago.

3c0325835df566036cf2d5d6bdd115db.jpg

45da31db1d5962de953e3e2e010bbc73.jpg

I moved it from the tree in this following picture years ago when it died...

ea878f731a89243e6d796afe788fa32c.jpg

And thinking about this tree as a new replacement...

8c9fc67c3ecf192029f630f6e56d5bd4.jpg

My morning hunt yesterday went, well weird. I decided to drive to the farm in the morning instead of staying at the cabin. Leave at 5 arrive at cabin around 6:10. Turns out fog had a different idea. Took an hour and 45 minutes. Light at 7:10, still plenty of time to get dressed and drive to the other side of the farm. Arrive at gate around 7, spray everything good and start my 250 yard walk. Get 80 yards from stand and realize I forgot a very important item, harness! Well crap!! Start double timing it back to truck. Can this really be happening? Not in the truck. Drive back to cabin, yep, sitting on the front porch on the chair. Thank goodness its really foggy. Can only see about 50 yards. I'm now driving like a wild man to get back around the property before it gets too light. Almost hit a doe standing on the gravel road 100 yards from the gate. Respray and get moving back to the stand. Still really foggy. I stop before reaching the stand to look for deer in the plot. Nothing! Finally, in the stand at 7:35. Sunrise 7:38. Still really foggy. Did I mention I forgot my seat pad? Oh well, sit on expanded metal for a couple hours. Suck it up. Waited till about 8:30 and decided to throw a few soft grunts out there. 4 minutes later two bucks walked into the plot. A nice 3.5 year old basket 8 and his sidekick 6. They sparred for about 10 min they moved into the fog. Turkeys showed up and got within 40 yards. One of those days. On the bright side, pulled a few cam chips later in the day and a real nice 10 walked right under the other stand I was going to hunt had I arrived at 6:10 like planned. Here's my view from the stand and the turkeys that showed up. This is a new plot I put in this spring. Oats/deer radish in the plot and my fruit tree orchard behind it had a clover/alfalfa mix. If you look closely at the turkey picIMG_2151.jpg IMG_2153.jpg and zoom up, you can see the persimmon grove in the back left. Its bright orange. Loaded this year.

86 degrees, breezy from all the different souths... Stand not ideal for the wind but was chosen because it is in the shade of the mountain right now.

Pretty views...

fd7a08f9c8a5866fd178c6613d97a0e6.jpg

bc833de8fae016ec351f5525fc77507c.jpg

588db24a5a0fbe4ad9b152ef88038e32.jpg

30798a976b9f559496b82d8d67c5934c.jpg

c13a0886ae36c7f4fed7feb50501a56d.jpg

I'm in a stand right now that I haven't sat in all year, and it's already been one of my most exciting hunts. I walked right up into the middle of a substantial group of deer on the way in, but they didn't seem too bothered by me. I was lost because the damn hurricane blew so many trees down that I couldn't find the path through the woods, so I had my flashlight on and was making all sorts of racket. All of a sudden I turned a corner and was face to face with a bedded doe. It looked like she had about 4-5 friends with her. They jumped like a covey of quail when I got to within 10 feet, but they never snorted or seemed alarmed. I made it another 50 feet or so and then came across a nice 3.5 yo 8 pointer with a hugely swollen neck. He way eyeing up a smaller buck and didn't seem disturbed by my presence. I was at eye level with him and 20 yards away. Cool.

I'm in a stand right now that I haven't sat in all year, and it's already been one of my most exciting hunts. I walked right up into the middle of a substantial group of deer on the way in, but they didn't seem too bothered by me. I was lost because the damn hurricane blew so many trees down that I couldn't find the path through the woods, so I had my flashlight on and was making all sorts of racket. All of a sudden I turned a corner and was face to face with a bedded doe. It looked like she had about 4-5 friends with her. They jumped like a covey of quail when I got to within 10 feet, but they never snorted or seemed alarmed. I made it another 50 feet or so and then came across a nice 3.5 yo 8 pointer with a hugely swollen neck. He way eyeing up a smaller buck and didn't seem disturbed by my presence. I was at eye level with him and 20 yards away. Cool.
Wow, interesting start cutman!

The wind started picking up here as soon as I got up the tree. It's also not blowing in an ideal direction but it's not the worst wind for this setup. Hopefully they stay out in front of me at least. Heavy equipment just fired up and there is a ton of metal clanging echoing throughout the woods! Dang sure hard to hear today.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My son and I are hunting the same patch of woods/swamp. He has a mature buck grunting and blowing behind him. We're about 200 yards apart.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My son and I are hunting the same patch of woods/swamp. He has a mature buck grunting and blowing behind him. We're about 200 yards apart.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Awsome! Good luck fellas!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sitting here in mid Missouri. Warm about 70 already and wind picking up. Planning a all day sit. Probably won't see a damn thing with these temps, but free for the day so guess I better take advantage. Got a doe last weekend so waiting for a buck today.

Back on same stand I was on yesterday morning to give it another shot...picked stand sue to forecasted SE wind...so far it has blown every direction except SE

Very warm at 61 degrees...

7:31 central time

6723e216a73dd7518016f6bb7d9226c1.jpg

It looking like another record heat day in Kansas. I am having coffee in the blind and on my phone. South wind and sixty degrees. A cool front is supposed to move in this afternoon. I don't know why they are calling it a cool front. It will still be 5-10 degrees warming then normal. I hate this warm weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Last edited:
I certainly hope this wind direction model holds because if it does it means I get to spend the last hours of the last day of our muzzleloading season finally hunting our owned ground at whitetail hollow!

1 of those down to the wire deals but we haven't had a wind I could hunt it right until the one forecast for late tomorrow afternoon in the entire 9 day season!

2b85ed1c951bf776fd8dbe7f5b9c92bb.jpg

My treestand buddy agrees with me that it's a great idea!

c9022cd293f99164b74b254b594274b1.jpg

Back