Live from the duck blind..

I agree if you can get on the x you can get by with few decoys. At home I only run 2-3 dozen. But at home wherever the birds are one day they return the next. In kansas where we were, there seemed to be no rhyme or reason to what the birds did. They were constantly hopping from field to field. We had best success settin up a big spread in a fly way and basically just running traffic. I ripped my hair out for two days trying to figure out a pattern. It was a waste of time.
Only time and place I've ever hunted where scouting didn't really pay off. Just get in a high traffic area and let your calling and decoys do the work. Those geese were very susceptible to flagging. Most responsive I've ever seen.
Sounds frustrating. Probably why I prefer hunting water more than fields, I think it's easier to find the X.
What area of KS were you at?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

d65725718b5030872f799927be6c26eb.jpg

Bonnie and I got a few this morning. My duck hole is less than 1/3 full. We need a good rain but only 2 more weeks left in our season.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Sat in the swamp and on our little pond all weekend and saw a grand total of 2 ducks. They were hooded mergansers so I let them go. 70 degree heat did not help. Mosquitos were out.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The last 3 years I have been going on a charity duck hunt around Stuttgart AR. This year we had the best flooded timber hunt we've ever had

The first hunt we shot a limit of mallards -24 - in 29 minutes. The second morning in 27 minutes

I need a blind down here when I retire. What an awesome place. My host bought this 600 acre green timber flat for $11,000/acre last year. Unreal what flooded green timber cost. There is no timber value, they'll never cut a tree. All about ducks

Attachments

• IMG_6570.JPG
    IMG_6570.JPG
    879.3 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a great hunt. Apparently we have had some birds move in this week as I have heard several really good reports.

Last duck hunt of the season. Closes tomorrow. Been a slow season.
0ce7ddee1baa0a24624d6f7a36c4ed6d.jpg

Duck and geese decoys out.
fc1ebee01a6ec6d20f8ec6cc959f8c67.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Duck season has been over for a couple weeks but the extended goose season is still open until the 14th. Off today so decided to go try to kill a few honkers. They were roosting on the pond when I pulled up to drop off decoys. Of course, now that duck season is over I am getting rained on by mallards.
0a7280d6d64f4f33ae3feda6a84535fa.jpg

Belle hoping for a couple more retrieves. She is not quite understanding why I'm not shooting at the ducks.
ff9a05075c56779e26b6d0a78ca62d01.jpg

Back