Let's get your input on shrubs

CentralKyHunter

I am in the final stages of finalizing a deal for a CRP CP-22 riparian buffer on my farm .
Will probably consist of around 8 acres of only trees with shrubs on the border . Have had this discussion with a few of you before but thought I would try to expand it .

So let's hear some info on the shrub species you all like .

Keep it basic if possible, State the species, what wildlife it benefits, and what it offers to those wildlife species for example :

Red Mulberry: Prvides fruit and browse to deer, turkey, quail & other species.

Would like to narrow down my desired plant species for a meeting I have with the forestry department on Friday.

My plantings will be throughout a 15 acre bottom obviously line with a creek on one side . The majority of the plantings will consist of oaks and a few other species I have not decided on but the outer two rows will be shrub species

As a farmer mulberry should be on my bad list, but I have to say it is the most heavily browsed woody species in my area. People in the corn belt are taught to hate them but they are a great wildlife plant. I'm also doing a shrub planting next year. I'm leaning towards the shrubs most of us would call trees. Plum, crab, persimmon, choke cherry, DCO, and hazel.

As a farmer mulberry should be on my bad list, but I have to say it is the most heavily browsed woody species in my area. People in the corn belt are taught to hate them but they are a great wildlife plant. I'm also doing a shrub planting next year. I'm leaning towards the shrubs most of us would call trees. Plum, crab, persimmon, choke cherry, DCO, and hazel.

I'm prob gonna go with some DCO' & Hazelnut also.
I'm not as concerned with the farming impact .

It is part of a crop field but that is low on my totem pole of preferences. Looking for does species that have the best impact for animals and that I will not regret planting later for habitat management reasons .

Thanks for your input .

Through all of the research I've done on my planting list, the shrubs on my list are strawberry bush, eastern wahoo, elderberry, black chokeberry, DCO, arrowwood viburnum, mulberry, and rough leaf dogwood. All of these provide mast for turkey and browse for deer. Strawberry bush, wahoo, and elderberry are all great for planting beside creeks, and strawberry bush and wahoo are ice cream plants for deer; if you don't protect them deer will browse them to the ground.

I have added a link that may help. Your DNR or division of forestry may have something similar as well. It has more than just shrubs on it, but it may help with other selections as well. This list is all stuff native to IN so I would imagine most of it would apply to KY as well. I thought the soil types, sunlight needs and heights may be of interest that way you can plan your planting so each can thrive in the proper setting.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/3624.htm

I know each state is different on what grows but I did areas of fragrant sumac or sandhill plum in curves or a wider area outside the trees in my riparian,they then had me plant NWSG but this just get absorbed by everything else.NRCS had first wanted me to burn the NWSG but after explaining that I would probably lose the shrubs and trees they backed off.

I have had good results with deer eating the ninebark that I planted. Too good of luck actually, I will be ordering more and protecting them this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back