J-birds place

We did a lot of walking yesterday too looking for morels and didn't find any either but the things you do see or find is really satisfying also. That woodpecker was busy

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Place looking great as usual. I walked a bunch yesterday planting pawpaw seeds and looking for morels. I found 1...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looking good J. Your cage size is the same as I use. It works well here for me. I do get an occasional branch nipped off above 5 feet, but never enough to hurt anything.

Well got some work done on another project as well. I am working on digging an actual water hole in the north part of my property.

Here is what it looked like last weekend. This area tends to hold rain water as it is, and it was too wet to really do anything when this pic was taken. There is some grass growing here so I am concerned about that and what roots I may encounter.
north to be waterhole 04012017.jpg

Well this is this weekend. I had to use the tools I had. A backhoe would have been great but I don't have one and the bucket on my FEL doesn't "dig" real well. So I used my 2 bottom plow to help loosen the ground. The "hole" is about 2 feet deep and I finally got down to some clay....
hole 1.jpg

Different angle. The hole is sort of triangle shaped and I hope to do a little more work next weekend and install a liner.....left over from our "red-neck" pool. I have not had any luck getting the soil to hold water thus far. With a 4 day weekend coming up I hope to finish this project then. I'll post final pics when I have them..... Anyway, spent a beautiful day in the woods playing in the dirt!
hole 2.jpg

The nice thing is I can use one project to assist with another. I took some of the "spoils" from this project to help fix a bad spot in my access trail. So I sort of killed two birds with one stone.
trail fix.jpg

I know what you mean. I get a lot of mileage out of my FEL and boxblade. And I used my chisel plow to dig sweet potatoes!
I used to have a 6 foot box blade as well and it would have come in handy here......BUT.....it was too big for my tractor (get a little deep and it was like tossing an anchor overboard) AND I sold it for what I paid for it after 2 years of use......so.....I did OK. An FEL is great with loose material, but firm soil is a different story. I also just have the strait edge on mine (no "teeth") so that doesn't help either. What I really needed was a hoe.....but, didn't have one of those handy. I contemplated other methods like blasting....but I thought that may have been a bit extreme....efficient.....but extreme!

j-bird...You use what you got bro! Hope that thing fills up with water. I can't figure water holes out. Our property has plenty of running water in creeks n beaver ponds but the water holes that are usually algae covered and muddy just get wore out with critters. Post up some "after" pics when you have water in it.

Spring is here, jbird! Enjoyed catching up on your property. Have you thrown down the switchgrass seed yet?

Spring is here, jbird! Enjoyed catching up on your property. Have you thrown down the switchgrass seed yet?
No not yet. Have some financial priorities that came up. When I planted/drilled it last time it was mid summer so I got time. I would like to get it out, but I need to see what the gly has killed and what remains so I can get that and will then move to broadcasting the switch......I also have to worry about that area flooding (as it does sometimes in the spring). I'll be pissed if I broadcast and then it floods and takes that expensive seed away!

j-bird...You use what you got bro! Hope that thing fills up with water. I can't figure water holes out. Our property has plenty of running water in creeks n beaver ponds but the water holes that are usually algae covered and muddy just get wore out with critters. Post up some "after" pics when you have water in it.
Well it rained here and is supposed to rain off and on all weekend. We will see what water it holds on its own, even though I was going to add a liner. If it holds water on it's own great, but that wasn't the plan. Imagine that, mother nature laughing at my plan!!!! I'll take pics and post as this progresses......

Well my youngest wanted to take a walk this evening so we went to check out "the hole". I was curious if any of the rain we had earlier in the week actually collected.

Well, some has. I'm not sure how long it will last and to be honest I really had more work to do to dig it out a bit more and put down the liner.....but, if it holds water on it's own.....I'll take it. Again not part of the "plan" but oh, well...it made mother nature chuckle I guess! We are forecast for more rain over the holiday so we will see how that goes. If it rains and fills more I'll take more pics. There is less than a foot of water in it now, maybe more like 6"....and apparently "stinky" needed to cool down - she was pleased!!!
water 1.jpg

It has been visited by the target audience as well......not a lot but some. My cams have issues with them right now or I would put one up to catch some pics.
water 2.jpg

Well, if I am anything, I'm cheap. So as part of my sawtooth plantings I also saved a dozen of them to grow at the house. So that being said....I bought a 1 cubic foot package of potting soil and saved some 2 liter pop bottles. I cut the top off the plastic bottles and drilled a small hole in the bottom of each. I filled the bottles with potting soil (12 bottles consumes just a bit shy of a a whole bag I could have done 13 or 14 but I only had a dozen acorns. I pushed the acorns into the soil and watered. These now sit on the back porch in full sun. I knew the chance of them being screwed with was pretty great so I figured.....if the kennel/cage can keep squirrels in.....it should be able to keep them out as well!
sawtooth home.jpg
sawtooth home2.jpg

Back