How many plan to walk away from QDMA?

After finding the forum and the treasure trove of info, I joined and spent several hundred dollars in their store to compensate them for the invaluable resource. To say I feel betrayed would be an understatement--deleting the data base is simply the antithesis of their mission statement. I'm convinced pulling the plug was less about money and more about wanting to be the final word. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

I’m out as well. The way they handled the shut down and the way they just treated some of the most hardcore members they have showed me enough. I always thought that QDMA stood for the science and truth behind deer management but I’m afraid I was just being blind. I fully believe they got rid of the forum so that we could no longer dictate the message to the public. Being the top hits on Google searches is a very, very big deal. If they we’re really concerned about allowing the truth to be told, then they wouldn’t be burning all the books like they’re doing. A couple years ago one of the top brass was on TV pushing one of the products where you pour powder out of a bag and the big bucks come running….using words like “science”. That rubbed me the wrong way back then and should have been a bigger red flag.

I was reading all of these posts before writing my own, but you nailed it, CnC.

I really believed, like only a true believer can, that the QDMA stood for "the science and truth". Perhaps more than that, the cumulative knowledge had been filtered and purified, on the forum they hosted, into something even more...wisdom. The problem is, science, truth, knowledge and wisdom are not what their target audience wants to hear, and it's not something the QDMA can maximize profits with.

I drank the Kool-aid, I even took their first stewardship class. I paid my dues and toed the party line. I passionately explained how QDMA is not a trophy deer association, and I still don't believe it is. However, they ARE a money-grubbing corporation and in their zeal to own and control the message people see, they have proven that the message itself has become tainted by the greed and lust for power.

I think Steve is smart to not post any more about it, and I will try to make this the last time, as well. However, the next time I am working with a new friend on their habitat tour, you can bet I'll be less supportive of the QDMA. Hopefully this new forum will give us a chance to stick to the facts while building upon the collective wisdom of many...balance sheets and B&C scores be damned! :)

Preach on brother....I know some have said we need to let it go....but I can't think of a better time for a 15 pager where folks can get it off their chest. I know plenty of folks are still mad over it. Can you imagine the guy who hasn't logged into the old forum for the last week....what he'll think when he checks in?,,,,,Holy #$%@!!!! What happened?!?! :eek:.......That place went down like the Titanic.

I've decided to become x-farmerdan, an acknowledgement that I still like who I am. But, I want to disasssociate myself from any connection with the-organization-that-shall not-be-named! For lots of unknown personal reasons, in addition to being fascinated by all things wildlife, I'm equally fascinated by organizational structures be it non-profits, churches, businesses, any place where money is collected and services and/or products offered.

Until two or three years ago I'd never heard of QDMA -- and I'm prone to reading the fine print on toilet paper before I use it. Thanks to Google and a challenge to one of my recommendation on another message board , I found the forum-that-shall-not-be-named.

I read about the mission and history of the organization. I looked at the annual report. The last one available on their site is 2010. Hmmm..
It just never all added-up for me.

Well, the guys on the forum are awesome. I even thoguht maybe the forum was like this one - a function separate from the organization where the forum "owners" sold space to QDMA to hang their flag! Ok. So I missed that one.

I felt guilty about using the forum so I sent in my $35 for a couple years. It seemed fair. With the forum gone I am now guilt free!

Last edited:
I've always had issues with how QDMA horribly twisted some key facts to best serve their agenda, when they have a bunch of biologists that helped forum QDMA that know better. In most ways, that "twisting of facts" actually nudged ppl to closer line up with my personal management goals, but, even when it works for, not against me, I HATE it when ppl/politicians/companies/organizations knowingly twist reality to further their agenda. If your agenda is legit, there's no need to present anything more than the honest, straight forward truth. When it's not, I don't want to be a part of it anyway.

Unlike many (and it's completely understandable that most wouldn't realize this), I knew from the start that QDMA is really a for profit business enjoying the tax benefits of pretending to be non-profit, which, unfortunately, describes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many "non-profits." Being able to peek behind the curtain made that obvious.

So, their lack of support of the MN guys and this latest move didn't surprise me in the least. It also appears my suspicions were correct when I first read LT's post. this is ALL about message & info flow control. THEY want to be the source of info, as you little ppl don't know what you're talking about. THEY are the experts, despite none of them doing close to the amount of habitat and deer management that most of you here do. Egos need feeding and info that contradicts their agenda needs squashing. Read the responses that those that have emailed and called received and there is one theme in all of them...info control/greater power over messaging. So much for education being a corner stone. If LT does indeed respond to my email (pretty sure I made an enemy when I hit send), I'm sure it ill be similar to what others have been given as responses.

Despite it saying I'm a member on their forum, I canceled my membership when they wouldn't even give the MN guys any research that they'd requested and was told was on its way. the second the MN DNR caught wind and complained, they suddenly couldn't send the research. I've been out since then.
I'm so glad all of us have gravitated from QDMA forum to here. I'm rare breed. Was a QDMA member 12 years with forum that long as well. I agree with Steve who I admire greatly

Would anyone stay if they reversed their decision or work to get this forum going strong ? I'm sticking with this one

Would anyone stay if they reversed their decision or work to get this forum going strong ? I'm sticking with this one
No, I wouldn't. The way the notification was handled constituted "bridge-burning" in my opinion. Who could conceive a forum would shutdown? I guess I'm a lot wiser now. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

I'm done with them. Even if I bought the reasoning they offered, there was no reason not to release the forum archives to let us form another board given their reasoning.

First post here. I was a member of QDMA almost since their beginning. I lurked and read WAY more on the forum than I posted. I typed my last post on the QDMA forum a few days ago. I said my piece there and left. My position is the forum did more to educate people about QDM than anything else the QDMA has done since their inception. The Google hits are a pretty good indicator of at least the exposure it generated. I have been practicing QDM since before they became an organization. I have tons of experience/knowledge, most of which was accelerated through that forum when it was created. It was where I went when I hit a wall or had a question about something I was thinking about. I was exposed to tons of ideas that other people came up with and were nice enough to share. Paul Knox's posts are a prime example. I learned a ton from that forum and have spread that knowledge to the scores of people who ask me about their property or hunting situation in our area. I am certainly not an expert but have kind of become one to my neighbors after they have seen what I have accomplished, most of which was learned on that forum. Like Steve said, I am not a "normal" deer hunter, just like most of the other people who posted there. Other people think I am crazy when they hear what I spend in time and dollars on my property/habitat and hunting related activities. I spend most of my free time doing food plot/habitat work. I am the guy who preached this to neighbors, friends and anyone who would listen. I pointed people to that forum all the time to educate themselves when they had questions. QDMA has no such resource anymore for me to point people to when they really want to learn about QDM. Especially the food plot and habitat information. There are lots of people in my area who practice at least some form of QDM now. I know for a fact many of those are a result of my influence. I have always promoted QDMA with my promotion of QDM. I have given numerous memberships as gifts to expose people to the organization. That will stop, and the same grass roots growth QDMA benefited from will be the thing that starts to tear them down as an organization. For the QDMA to not see the educational value in the forum tells me they aren't truly concerned with educating people. I won't be promoting them as an organization anymore. I have had some issues with the organization and their direction the last few years, this just seals the deal for me. I am ready to move on, I hope this forum helps me do that.

I hope the community can come together and have an enjoyable, educated , fun conversation
"I will not be renewing my QDMA subscription"

I made a facebook post to further spread the word about what has happened. I decided to take a photo as well! I figured it sent a pretty good message.....the sign and my membership card.....up in flames! I did mention in the post that anyone looking for those former members should look here and at habitat-talk. I refuse to turn my back on anyone interested in learning and supporting QDM principles.....
QDMA sucks.jpg

I will not renew my membership. The only reason I got a membership is because I felt my membership in some way contributed to the maintenance of the internet forum which was a unquestionably a huge resource. Without the the forum I see nothing within the QDMA ORGANIZATION worthy of my support. I am not impressed with how the organization is structured or run. I have said it before in other posts, but I believe the QDMA organization made a huge miscalculation about the impact of their decision.

Well……everyone’s posts on the old website expressing your displeasure for what just happened have now been removed. I suppose that was to minimize the damage so that casual forum members who haven’t logged in won’t ever see how much of a backlash there was and continue the fallout that was occurring. Wouldn’t expect anything different at this point.

I migrated also. I did not post very often either. I am more of a reader. I have a lot to learn and very little to give at the his point. The worst part of all this for me is losing the ability to search for topics and read. I will miss that.

Crazy. Can't believe how quickly it all went down.

Oh well. Happy to have y'all here.

QDMA has locked the old forum, it is read only until it is shutdown. Must have decided they were getting too much bad (well deserved) press.

I can't wait until bow season, I'm going to shoot the first 1.5 yo buck I see.:p

Back