Hinging In August

deer patch

Back in August I had to cut some trees beside a road to get a litter truck into some plots so I decide to hinge cut them just because. There were two types of trees hinged Elm and Hickory. A month later and here is the results.

Elm Tree
elm%20hinge%20resized_zpsuqva2krg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] [URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/DeerPatch/media/elm%20hinge%20resized_zpsuqva2krg.jpg.html][/URL]

Hickory Tree
[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/DeerPatch/media/hixkory%20hinge%20resized_zps8ahsernu.jpg.html][/URL]

As you can tell Elm will hinge in 95 degree heat but not Hickory.

Here is a picture of some Bluestem. This is what's in the seedbank.
[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/DeerPatch/media/bluestem%20resized_zpsmopo95oa.jpg.html][/URL]

Did you just do the two trees? I wouldn't be too discouraged with the results. You may have cut too far through the hickory, etc. I have cut side by side maples and get the same results. One will keep its leaves and continue to grow, and the other's top dies off. But it will most likely stump sprout.

I cut 4 or 5 trees from each species and all the hickories have died while the elm are still alive. This project was just an experiment to see if any would survive the high temps. Not that Ill be doing this next but it was interesting to see. It just shows that if you need to remove some trees to get some equipment down a road you don't have to cut it completely down just hinge it for a little cover along side the road and if it dies anyway so be it.

I have done the same though mostly I am doing it to sweet gum which honestly I wish just died and disappeared - hate those trees

Your bluestem is broomshedge mostly. It has that light green color which differs from the blue-green of big blue, little blue and indian grass. Broomshedge likes soils where the natural fungal/soil phosphorous cycle has been destroyed (cleared land is common). In fall, broomshedge turns mostly yellow while the other native grasses turn reddish-brown.

The only problem with cutting a tree like that is that you may have to come back and cut it again an treat the stump for full control or wait on a hard drought to take toll on the injured tree. So my question is why not just cut and treat and get it over with the first time?

I can understand hinging elm late summer as it makes available a 'clean supplement' to the animal's late summer diet which may be lacking in fresh forage.

Now you got me rethinking the grass. I'll have to look at the seed head next time I'm their.

On treating the first time versus hinging I did't have any herbicide at the farm and thought I would at least see if anything would survive in the heat. It will just take a few minutes to come back and cut and treat later on as I can drive or walk down the road very easily. I normally kill elm and hickory anytime I cut them. Going to do some random clusters late winter as dogghr calls them.

I must have ample forage as I have not seen any browse on the elm.

Elm is one of those which it is easy have enough and easy to have too much....prolific reseeders they are. The heavy doe harvest your neighbor has done helps also. The more important thing IMO for the western hardwood forest is to have many small openings in the timber for ground level growth.....rainfall is more than ample to grow trees but trees tie up soil resources for a very long time....the animal needs plants with shorter life span.. Just wait until the grass enters dormancy, then you can tell by color. My ideal for a random cluster is to fell/treat the middle and lightly hinge the perimeter....an acre or so in size....'old field' with soft edge effect.

I've never seen any browse on elm on my farm which makes it a target tree when doing any type of habitat work. Does are getting very populated on my place again. Starting to see up to ten does on cameras in plots at a time, I'm going to have to thin the herd myself. Not sure what the neighbors are taking but still hearing plenty of shots the last couple years so I'm assuming they are still targeting them.

I was going to do what you described and some of what Geo did and some of dogghr's random clusters. I've already mapped it out in my imnd now I'm just waiting till after deer season.

Back