Gut pile not touched after 2 days ???

Cap'n

My daughter shot a doe with her crossbow last Thursday evening.
d33f5f63bd504d64d0ce094b61b7f6b4.jpg
bc0059ad8352c5c29dec2dea14514ae4.jpg
I hunted there Saturday and the gut pile looked untouched. I’ve never seen that. I even saw 2 coyotes and a bobcat that day. I don,t get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats to her on that big old doe ! That gutpile is hard to explain unless there was just a lot of human scent left around. I've seen dead hogs not touched for a couple days but they are tough. They have to "break down" a little before coyotes can get a tooth hold. :)

The smile on her face says it all! Congrats to both of you.
I have seen gut piles gone overnight or stick around for a week. I do not do any gutting in the field. I bring all my deer to a cleaning area with a hanging rack with winch, spotlights for work at night and running water to rinse out the deer when gutted. All guts are put into a 1/2 55 gallon drum and hauled out to an area I refer to as the bone yard. The critters have been conditioned to look for their free eats at this spot. It is in a remote corner of my land and I find it does not affect deer hunting there. Even then they can sit for a while. No rhyme or reason to it.

Thanks for your responses guys. She is my doe killer, and I get as big a thrill out of it as she does. I’ve never seen a pile sit like that but that may be because there are no hogs in that area YET.. I’ve been there 4 yrs and nary a one. I always thought a pile like that would scare deer off but it was 30 yds from a feeder and food plot and the camera got picks of a buck I’m after the next night
fff8f106f282b6403fe70986e30d147b.jpg

??

Congratulations to your daughter! I've found that gut piles don't mean much to deer. I put cameras on them ans deer carcasses regularly. Ive seen deer kind of rummage through them looking for food even. In my area crows get the gutpiles before anything else. opossum an hawks too - sometimes fox an coyotes but not as much as people think

That is a whopper doe!! Congrats for sure. Man, I love hunting with my little girl (that is now 21, LOL). I have actually seen gut piles lay around til they rotted away and others not last a night---on the same property. Never have figured that out. I know buzzards will make quick work of them if the wind is right.

Congratulations to your daughter! I've found that gut piles don't mean much to deer. I put cameras on them ans deer carcasses regularly. Ive seen deer kind of rummage through them looking for food even. In my area crows get the gutpiles before anything else. opossum an hawks too - sometimes fox an coyotes but not as much as people think
Thanks I appreciate it. She is ready to go again. I don't take her during Muzzleloader or Gun season because I hunt those differently than I do bow hunting with her. I have ground blinds made out of old stockade fence panels that we hunt out of with her. They are bigger and they last for years.
I'm going to put a camera on the next gut pile just to see what shows up.

That is a whopper doe!! Congrats for sure. Man, I love hunting with my little girl (that is now 21, LOL). I have actually seen gut piles lay around til they rotted away and others not last a night---on the same property. Never have figured that out. I know buzzards will make quick work of them if the wind is right.
Thanks, It's really fun hunting with her and my son. She gets so excited about just seeing a deer it makes it fun for both of us.
I used to hunt in the Texas panhandle. Out there a gut pile wouldn't make it through the night. Thats why I was so surprised to see it still there after 2 days. One time I shot 2 big hogs out in Texas and the big one had huge cutters, but I was on foot and had to drag it out so I grabbed the smaller one and dragged it and was going to come back the next weekend and cut the head off the big one to do a European mount with it. Well it was gone. Probably 150 lb or bigger and there wasn't even a hair on the ground. I walked all over the place looking for it and found nothing.

Don't know about the gut pile but that is an awesome pic of your daughter with a great doe. Congrats.

Just a FYI, we dumped out a gut pile in Nebraska this past Tuesday evening right at dark. We'd let the guts set in a bucket for about three days and they were RANK. Within 5 minutes of dumping them out, and with the wind we had, coyotes went to hollering all over the grasslands. Pile was gone the next morning---I mean there wasn't a stitch of it left.

On September 18 my dad shot two pigs that had been rooting in his front yard. He dragged them off to the back of the property to dump them. I was over there five days later and nothing had touched them. We have coyotes on camera less than 100 yards from where the pigs were dumped. I went back last weekend and the only thing left were a skull and lower jaw, a lower jaw, and a few vertebrae along with a couple of greasy spots. The pigs were dumped in the woods so I doubt vultures found them. I guess the coyotes wanted them to age before tearing into them.

Knock on wood, my parents really don't have a hog problem where they are in south Louisiana. They will have 2-3 come through every twelve to eighteen months. My parents' neighbor does a good job of taking care of them once they show up. There was a group of 6 pigs that showed up one day during daylight. He shot these two with a .22 lr since it was the only rifle he had at the time. Most of the six stuck around while he pumped six shots into the largest pig around 200 lbs. These pigs don't belong to anyone around their place, but they were used to humans with them coming out in daylight and not running when they saw a person. I was able to shoot one when I was there and my dad has killed two more since then. I saw the last one last weekend, but never had a safe shot on him.

To make a short story long, I have heard the same thing about hogs eating anything and everything dead or alive.

Back