Goals for this season

boot

As deer season is once again coming up upon us, I was wondering what some of your goals/objectives are for this season. Maybe get your first bow kill, fill the freezer, bring down the doe population, go for a trophy buck, or is there one buck in particular you are holding out for. Mine is to try to kill a non typical buck I've been seeing around the past few years as well as to spend time in the woods with friends and family.

Last edited:
Same as always for me - spend as much quality time as I can in a treestand and kill the oldest buck using whatever property I happen to be hunting at the time...

Biggest goal is to de-stress. Something completely therapeutic about setting in a tree with no one bothering you and just taking it all in. There is two seasons...... hunting season and wishing it was hunting season! Going to shoot at least 1 doe with the bow this year, always on the hunt for Mr Big.

I have 2 real goals and 1 "stretch" goal.
Goal #1 - get my youngest child her first deer.
Goal #2 - get enough venison for the year
Stretch goal - I found where a nice buck liked to bed last year and if he is still alive I have a plan to go after him. I have never hunted a particular buck before this is going to be an interesting challenge.

Quality time in the tower blind with my son when he comes home to hunt.
For him to take one of the two mature bucks on the place.
I wouldn't mind taking the other one but not that important.

My primary goal is to kill my first P&Y buck this year. It's been my primary goal for 3 years running but I haven't been able to put it all together yet.

My secondary goal is to fill all 3 of my doe tags in Ky

Tertiary goal is for at least one of the other folks who hunts my farm to kill a good buck (never seems to be a problem for them, but they have earned it this year with all the help they've provided as we start implementing my habitat plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 Shoot a mature buck...haven't done that in years.
#2 Watch my 10 y/o daughter take her first deer
#3 Hunt at least 20 times this year (doubling last year)
#4 Keep a hunting log

Mine is to share the stand with my four year old, we have done a lot of things together in preparation but he hasn't went along yet. Second goal is find the buck that I was after last year, he gave me the slip on the last night of the season for the 4th time. H

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I want to kill a 170"+ buck. I have 3 target bucks but haven't got them showing up on my farms yet this summer. I know they made it through last season so I am sure they will show after velvet shed. My secondary goal is to catch it all on film. My other objectives are to video both of my sons and maybe a couple of friends taking good mature bucks.

1. Kill a mature Kentucky public land buck. (out of state)
2. Find "B1G" (Big 10) who was my target Indiana buck last year.
3. Successfully plant and hunt micro or kill plots.

And as always... catch it all on film.

Mine is to share the stand with my four year old, we have done a lot of things together in preparation but he hasn't went along yet. Second goal is find the buck that I was after last year, he gave me the slip on the last night of the season for the 4th time. H

That is one of my fondest hunting memories. My youngest boy was 3 and it was either take him with me opening day of gun season or not go. So we loaded up and headed to the woods. Walked into a hill that I had sat on and killed numerous deer. Daylight came and so did the deer. We had a nice 10 point come to the base of the hill and I asked him if that was the buck he wanted. He said yup so I shot and dropped the buck in it's tracks all while my 3 yr old sat on the ground right next to me. The stars were just aligned because with all of the noise we made getting in and what he made sitting beside me there was no reason that buck should have come in. That was 18 years ago crazy how time flies. My boys still come home to hunt with dad every year though so I treasure those moments.

I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, BUT........

I would encourage EVERYONE to take a youngster, newbie, your mentor or old-timer hunting at least once this year. Put them in a place they are safe and have a chance to at least see deer. Take them to a set-up where you two are hunting together. Don't impose rules on them....if it's a legal deer and they want it let them have it. You can spare one deer! Some may simply want to tag along. Engage them, talk about why your hunting where you are, what sort of food for the deer is around. Talk about anything you want. Put the cell phone or i-pad away and talk.

Yes, it's a pain, and yes, it may not go well, and yes, it's one hunt that you don't get yourself........

It will also be the highlight of their week, month or fall! You may build memories that last a lifetime. You may have the chance to share your knowledge and love of the outdoors in general and plant that seed or re-kindle that flame, or take a step back in time to someones younger years. That sense of excitement that you will see in then may be something that has been missing in your own hunting.

Take 1 hunt, get back to basics and simply relax, enjoy and share it with someone that may not otherwise have the chance. You may just rekindle your own fire a little in the process!

J-Bird that is great advise. I like to think that I spend more time advising and teaching then I actually do hunting for myself. Now that I am getting to be a little older and my kids are raised I don't know what to do with myself. I spent every year before coaching basketball, then baseball and end up with football during hunting season and basketball always started back up by second gun season. Then I went to a full time high school coach and spent very limited time in the woods but when I did my boys were usually alongside until they started hunting their own stands but we still hunted the same farms at the same time. Now it is back to just me again except for meeting up at the house to talk about what we saw before they head back to their lives. The big difference now is whatever this new hunting lease has in store for me. I am sure time will be limited and I will spend a lot of evenings advising the best that I can with clients. Not that I am an expert in any way shape or form. One goal I forgot for this year is to take a little time to have fun hunting and not feel pressure or rushed.

Very well said guys. I get more thrill out of the hunt when my boy is hunting and I am along for the "ride". Blizzard Ridge been down the same path as you (still on it in a limited way). Still coach track until my boy graduates in a couple of years. Even then I am not sure that I will give it up, just enjoy helping kids achieve things that they never believed they could.

Very well said guys. I get more thrill out of the hunt when my boy is hunting and I am along for the "ride". Blizzard Ridge been down the same path as you (still on it in a limited way). Still coach track until my boy graduates in a couple of years. Even then I am not sure that I will give it up, just enjoy helping kids achieve things that they never believed they could.
I was the same way for a couple of years. My wife is the one that persuaded me to give up coaching football. I spent 16 years coaching football from JFL up to High School. After coaching high school ball it was just too hard to go back down to the little guys but too time consuming coaching high school ball. So I gave it up but miss it every fall.

I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, BUT........

I would encourage EVERYONE to take a youngster, newbie, your mentor or old-timer hunting at least once this year. Put them in a place they are safe and have a chance to at least see deer. Take them to a set-up where you two are hunting together. Don't impose rules on them....if it's a legal deer and they want it let them have it. You can spare one deer! Some may simply want to tag along. Engage them, talk about why your hunting where you are, what sort of food for the deer is around. Talk about anything you want. Put the cell phone or i-pad away and talk.

Yes, it's a pain, and yes, it may not go well, and yes, it's one hunt that you don't get yourself........

It will also be the highlight of their week, month or fall! You may build memories that last a lifetime. You may have the chance to share your knowledge and love of the outdoors in general and plant that seed or re-kindle that flame, or take a step back in time to someones younger years. That sense of excitement that you will see in then may be something that has been missing in your own hunting.

Take 1 hunt, get back to basics and simply relax, enjoy and share it with someone that may not otherwise have the chance. You may just rekindle your own fire a little in the process!
There isn't much better than seeing a youngster take their first animal. I have had a couple almost hyperventilate when the deer walked out. And others the gun was shaking so bad I am glad the deer was close.

Back