Fruit tree, cherry? Peach?

Charlieyca

Found just off a creek bottom, nothing but shrubs and pine trees around. Never saw it flower but it looks mature.
fb2378cb85e6b124009840184b939e9b.jpg
628be8cbec71721a51a0b6529867aa20.jpg
2f62a1c57e397d7575973058224d1986.jpg
4e680c4d981bc541651eee309da324d3.jpg
443b6721d21fa5824ee326af60af3f04.jpg
63e8d24d342edae604efdcbaf6528a1b.jpg
faad9bd892d383a88e8bc6130412be87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Open it up. Mine typically bloom about time of my apples. Can form heavy crop of fruit that bird and turkey love. Deer will browse new growth but not sure of berries.

Im on vacation and we stopped by savannah georgia wildlife refuge. Walking their nature trail, i see a tree that looks exactly like mine, bsrk, leafs, buds and all. Has a placard that says black cherry. Thanks guys for the positive id.

I am not knowledgeavle enough to answer, all my chokecherry are small seedlings

How do you tell the difference between black cherry and choke cherry?

Eugene

Black Cherry can become a full sized tree, while Chokecherry is either a small tree or bush. The leaves of Black Cherry have a more slender shape and their teeth are slightly different. The leaves of Chokecherry are wider.

There is also an introduced species of cherry called Bird Cherry (Prunus padus). I don't know much about it, but I'm told it is sometimes difficult to tell from Chokecherry by an untrained eye. Although, it does tend to take on more of a tree form than bush form as a general rule.

Last edited:
Some old timer told me to look for squirrels in the black cherry tops during drought conditions, he claimed that they get moisture from the fruit when everything else dries up. I've shot a few out cherries and mulberries since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Black Cherry can become a full sized tree, while Chokecherry is either a small tree or bush. The leaves of Black Cherry have a more slender shape and their teeth are slightly different. The leaves of Chokecherry are wider.

There is also an introduced species of cherry called Bird Cherry (Prunus padus). I don't know much about it, but I'm told it is sometimes difficult to tell from Chokecherry by an untrained eye. Although, it does tend to take on more of a tree form than bush form as a general rule.

Thanks, I've never seen chokecherry as a bush in northern IL. I cut a tree down around 30 feet tall. Had the base of the trunk cut into lumber. It's curing in my garage now. Going to make some primitive benches.

Eugene

Thanks, I've never seen chokecherry as a bush in northern IL. I cut a tree down around 30 feet tall. Had the base of the trunk cut into lumber. It's curing in my garage now. Going to make some primitive benches.

Eugene

Yes, 30 feet sounds about right for Chokecherry growing more upright. I've seen Black Cherry at least 90 feet.

Good luck on your benches. The wood should be pretty when you stain it.

Back