Flashlight recommendation

Doe Shooter

Last year I found myself in need of a flashlight
suitable for blood trailing a deer. It would be useful to keep in in the truck also. I've been picking up the little cheap throw away led lights, but it seems that they are good enough to find your way to a stand ,but not good enough for much anything else. (That's not a bad thing)

It's a new world out there with flashlights. I've seen lights with up to 30,000 lumens, but really wonder if that is over kill. Different kinds of batteries.Funny looking shapes.It's pretty confusing.

Anybody care to share some knowledge with those of us who slipped behind curve?

suitable for blood trailing a deer. It would be useful to keep in in the truck also. I've been picking up the little cheap throw away led lights, but it seems that they are good enough to find your way to a stand ,but not good enough for much anything else. (That's not a bad thing)

It's a new world out there with flashlights. I've seen lights with up to 30,000 lumens, but really wonder if that is over kill. Different kinds of batteries.Funny looking shapes.It's pretty confusing.

Just had this exact conversation with a buddy the other night. I'm in the same boat

This is the flashlight that I recommend.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-...attery-Flashlight-Battery-Included/1000083459

For the price, you just can't beat them. They take 9 AA batteries, so you don't have to worry about some strange size. You can see out to almost 200 yards, and it has two brightness settings. I have three of them and bought them for almost everybody I know. Can't go wrong IMO.

I too am looking for a good flashlight. Love the brightness this one seems to offer but it seems a little big at +1.5 lbs. Does the overall size of it not give you any issues while you're in your tree? On the flip side, this seems like a great option for a light to just keep in the truck in case of some emergency.

Size and weight not a consideration for me, since it would be a light I carry in the truck . Power and battery life are up there for me. If I need to go blood trailing a deer after dark I want the brightest light I can get with about a 3 hour battery life. I've been looking at YOUTUBE and there were some lights that were so powerful they got too hot to hold ,so you had to use the supplied lanyard. Something about the size of the old mag lite 3 cell would be ok with me. And there are 2 kinds of led's . One of them is brighter to make things more confusing. I'm looking at under $50.00. The cops I know say that Cree is some good stuff,that they use. Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming in. I'm sure this is something we all need.

Do not buy a cheap LED light. If it has a bluish tint it makes blood about impossible to see. Made that mistake when LED's were just coming out. Look for one with a warm light around 3000k.

If you really want to read about flashlights go to:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com

They care about flashlights like we care about deer ;)

Do not buy a cheap LED light. If it has a bluish tint it makes blood about impossible to see. Made that mistake when LED's were just coming out. Look for one with a warm light around 3000k.

If you really want to read about flashlights go to:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com

They care about flashlights like we care about deer ;)
Great info! I've been grazing through youtube and was getting more confused. I'm going to spend some time at candlepower. thanks.

Dewalt makes a great led spotlight that uses dewalt tool batteries, and has a red lens too. This is my tracking light, work light and deer spotting light. Never need to buy expensive batteries if you have cordless tools already. Most name brand cordless tool makers have a great light in their lineup.

I like the small battery powered spot lights if not using a lantern.I ordered some of the cree type lights but really didn't care for the sliding magnifying glass method

I like the small battery powered spot lights if not using a lantern.I ordered some of the cree type lights but really didn't care for the sliding magnifying glass method
I agree. I'm wanting more of fixed flood. I don't believe a spot would be of much use to me.

I get lots of those free gift little pen size throw away led lights that you mentioned, they do serve a good purpose in walking in to a stand before daylight when you don't want to be noticed. I prefer them to a headlamp because you can carry them low to the ground so as not to be seen

I also collect those little free lights from harbor freight. My little grandsons (and most little kids) just love em. They are barely in the door before the get in the drawer and grab one. I'm like you and hide a few for getting to a stand in the dark. For that ,you can't beat em.

Lots of great lights. I have a Fenix 1000 lumen handheld ($60) and a Armytek neutral white flood light headlamp that's just under 1000 lumens ($90) that I use for tracking.

I ordered a unit on fleabay, based on the info I have uncovered. I will do a review when it arrives. The criteria was it was going to be necessary to go with lithium batteries to get a higher level of performance. Rechargeable with out having to take it apart. XM-L2 led. Best bang for the buck.

I use the Streamlight Polytac. They are around $50 and are plenty enough light to track a deer. I have tracked a few truckloads of deer with them. I used them as a patrol light when I was still working the street and have ended up with several. One for each of my and the kids hunting packs, in the truck and one or two around the house. Use them all the time for various tasks and they are dependable and pretty indestructable in my experience. May or may not fit your needs but they are a good all around light for anyone looking for one.

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/stream...plusbox-beta&gclid=CI-aorDD5tMCFRO4wAodWOsIaw

Back