electric fence

Mitch

I'm about to purchase 1,800 yards worth of electric fence materials to keep cows in. Anyone have an idea as to what that's going to cost? I was going to run to Tractor Supply tomorrow after school and ask what they thought but wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this.

Wire will be relatively inexpensive but the posts will add up cost wise especially if there is much for changes in terrain. As odd as it sounds you will have problems with deer running into a fence of that length as well and likely knocking wire off the insulators or the insulators and wire off the posts, I suspect that a fence of that length is going to require a significant amount of maintenance. We pretty much have to drive fences daily here to keep them up and operational, and we dont have high deer numbers. Is the fence just a temporary thing?

The nice thing about electric fence is you can configure it to any shape. When we ran cattle in a picked corn field, we would run smaller configurations and when they cleaned it up we set up another block and run the hogs behind the beefs. It's easier to keep up with smaller blocks and to keep a good count for escapee's. Rule #1 If you got cattle, they are going to get out.

The fence is only temporary yes. It's one straight long fence. No turns. Just a straight shot. We will put up a barbed wire fence when we have a neighbor that will split costs of materials and cost of a survey. Right now we don't want to pay for it all ourselves. We don't have a high deer density either and do have a guy to check the fence daily because he also keeps an eye on the cows.

Last edited:
Wire will be relatively inexpensive but the posts will add up cost wise especially if there is much for changes in terrain. As odd as it sounds you will have problems with deer running into a fence of that length as well and likely knocking wire off the insulators or the insulators and wire off the posts, I suspect that a fence of that length is going to require a significant amount of maintenance. We pretty much have to drive fences daily here to keep them up and operational, and we dont have high deer numbers. Is the fence just a temporary thing?
Spot on! Deer will knock it down. Cows will get.out. I would suggest training your cattle first. Once they have been trained they are more likely to avoid the fence rather than test the fence.
Cost can be kept down by running wire from tree to tree instead of post to post. This is if you plan on putting it where you have trees...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm about to purchase 1,800 yards worth of electric fence materials to keep cows in. Anyone have an idea as to what that's going to cost? I was going to run to Tractor Supply tomorrow after school and ask what they thought but wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this.
I put up 3/4 of a mile of electric fence and have been extremely happy with it. I have big valleys and so on but electric fence doesn't have to be perfect so don't over think it. If you do not want to be fixing fence constantly I have some simple advice. The first obstacle is finding a corner or something that you can use to tighten your wire. At the time of first doing this I only had tposts and trees so I used a combo to make solid enough corners for the project. Do not use to many post or put them close together. You want the fence to be able to stretch with an animal (bend but don't break). Mine has been up for a year and has never been broke by the neighbors cows and I have watched them hit it and leave the ground from the shock. Put your fence on the side of the post facing the cattle so they can't push it off of the insulators when they do hit it. Spend time sinking three good ground rods deep. I am in sand stone and still got mine down 6ft. Spread them apart by 6ft to create what is called a grounding field. I use a parmak 6v solar charger. I promise if it's done properly a few cows will touch it and everyone else catches on quickly. When I first ran mine I put marker tape on it so they could see it. Now everything knows where it is and the tape has mostly dry rotted away. Tsc will run 6ft post on sale for $3.15 with 5 clips. Might as well get the good post so you can use them later in a good fence and only buy them once. Also buy the heavy gauge wire. 17 gauge wire equals headaches. 14 gauge doesn't cost that much and I bet I have less than $600 in my fence including the charger. Mine will hit me hard enough with rubber boots on that I can't imagine what it's like for a cow to hit it barefoot and fully grounded. 11,500 volts at the charger and over 8,000 anywhere on the fence. Do not splice wire unless you have to and if you don't know how watch a video on it. It truly makes a huge difference. A friend of mine used small wire with junky ground rods and could only get 4,200 volts out of the same charger and his cows could take the pain to get past it. Dump a little feed under it to get them to touch it once and you are done with fence training! Stay and watch, if they hit it and leave the ground you are good. Also if you do it with the bend but don't break method tree limbs and other things won't break it when the fall on it. Also consider what kind of neighbor you have when asking for half on the barbed fence. The neighbor I have with cattle builds cheap, junky fences. I decided to take it on myself and build it with lots of steel so it's one and done instead we better go check it and plan to rig it. $2,000 will build a proper fence with 4" pipe corners drove 4ft in the ground for 3/4 mile. Obviously tractor gas and so on adds up but that's the little stuff you just buy when you need it regardless. Pipe prices vary greatly and clean pipe can be had dirt cheap right now. The neighbor has not been involved in the fence building at all and I am building it as close to the survey as possible. I'm sure it will be off a bit and if it truly bothers him by law there is not a lot I can do to stop him from correcting it. He is a tight wad so the chance of arguing a fence that's a foot off won't happen. Most old fences are off by 5-10ft and been there for 70 years.

Back