Does soil quality effect deer size

How many people are going out for a second buck? Just curious.

Just comparing my home state (MN) to a state like North Carolina. Each state has the deer population estimated about 1 million deer, so a fair comparison.

MN hunters numbered about 600,000 in 2017, while North Carolina numbered about 250,000. 33 Percent of Hunters were successful in MN, which totals about 200,000 deer. 50 Percent of North Carolina residents harvested 1 deer (125,000) and about 25% harvested more than 1 deer, so add 67,500, which totals about 190,000 deer.

I guess I would say based on deer availability and hunters, you could argue those states are about equal in hunter pressure based on those numbers.

That being said, 1/2 hunters in NC will harvest a deer, while 1/3 hunters in MN will harvest a deer. For whatever that is worth.
Every body I know...we kill a buck in the morning we will be back on stand that afternoon...we are talking about “Hunting Pressure” not amount of deer killed in the state...

Every body I know...we kill a buck in the morning we will be back on stand that afternoon...we are talking about “Hunting Pressure” not amount of deer killed in the state...

Sure, but sometimes numbers help paint a picture. I mean, I could say the same would be true here, but every body I know, is also a dedicated hunter. You ask around at the office and you get a lot more "well I may hunt a few days here and there" responses.

Some of this, of course, is moot when managing larger tracks of private land, where deer densities and pressure can be controlled by the landowner. We are surrounded by farms, but our 120 acres buts up to about 1000 acres of land locked public land.

How many people are going out for a second buck? Just curious.

Just comparing my home state (MN) to a state like North Carolina. Each state has the deer population estimated about 1 million deer, so a fair comparison.

MN hunters numbered about 600,000 in 2017, while North Carolina numbered about 250,000. 33 Percent of Hunters were successful in MN, which totals about 200,000 deer. 50 Percent of North Carolina residents harvested 1 deer (125,000) and about 25% harvested more than 1 deer, so add 67,500, which totals about 190,000 deer.

I guess I would say based on deer availability and hunters, you could argue those states are about equal in hunter pressure based on those numbers.

That being said, 1/2 hunters in NC will harvest a deer, while 1/3 hunters in MN will harvest a deer. For whatever that is worth.

Unfortunately lots of hunters are shooting 2 bucks in NC....and no does for some reason. NC is a two buck state so not so horrible compared to SC. I’d be happy if NC went to 1 buck, compared to our neighbors to the south I’m counting my blessings.

The muzzle loader season in my corner of NC starts during the Pre rut, rifle starts during or just before the rut and is open for roughly 6 weeks. All total, 8 weeks of legal gun hunting. Again, better than SC but still a lot of gun hunting pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately lots of hunters are shooting 2 bucks in NC....and no does for some reason. NC is a two buck state so not so horrible compared to SC. I’d be happy if NC went to 1 buck, compared to our neighbors to the south I’m counting my blessings.

The muzzle loader season in my corner of NC starts during the Pre rut, rifle starts during or just before the rut and is open for roughly 6 weeks. All total, 8 weeks of legal gun hunting. Again, better than SC but still a lot of gun hunting pressure.

Wow 8 weeks seems like a long season!

MN is 9 days of gun season in the southern half (slugs only). 16 days in the northern half. 16 days for muzzleloader after rifle. Of the 600k licenses in 2018, 550k of those were gun season instead of muzzleloader. So you can imagine how packed the woods are in MNs condensed gun season.

Wisconsin I know is 9 days statewide for rifle, not sure how long on muzzleloader.

Wow 8 weeks seems like a long season!

MN is 9 days of gun season in the southern half (slugs only). 16 days in the northern half. 16 days for muzzleloader after rifle. Of the 600k licenses in 2018, 550k of those were gun season instead of muzzleloader. So you can imagine how packed the woods are in MNs condensed gun season.

Wisconsin I know is 9 days statewide for rifle, not sure how long on muzzleloader.

Exactly. This may seem like a rabbit hole leading away from the original topic of soil quality but it’s important to at least be aware of all the other factors that impact antler growth, age class, etc. Some of which may be immediately more important than soil quality.

Back