Doe only talk again?

Bingo! I was gonna start another thread on the state of deer management at the state level. I didn't but, after reading a couple posts here I went and read the WI 'Trustees(?) report. It was very critical of the models and data used to establish population estimates and harvest policy. I'm ignorant of the WI issues. However, after reading the report it sounds credible and much like what I perceive of the situation in my state.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum[/QUOT

I bet Tom's set up is in the top quartile of properties in Langlade county. Mine is in the middle of Waupaca and we have similar deer numbers as defined by how many deer seen per sit

I don't own the deer but do own the trees. I don't have any major heartburn over the current regen I have from the deer. If I did I'd shoot more.

We need laws that allow private land owners the flexibility to manage the deer population to their desires - not the boys in Madison determining what's best for us

The public outcry from the no doe season idea tells you all you need

Let the guys with too many deer- to their desire -should have access to free crop (woods) damage tags and let them shoot deer from Sept-Dec with rifles like farmers can.

Problem solved

One more supportive comment regarding individuals taking care of too many deer themselves

I've been on 4 DNR lands in Waupaca county. The regen is awesome. They are thick with undergrowth

If these guys with too many deer opened their lands up to hunters and started shooting aggressively I am very confident they can solve their problem without asking others to do what they don't want to do

Bingo! I was gonna start another thread on the state of deer management at the state level. I didn't but, after reading a couple posts here I went and read the WI 'Trustees(?) report. It was very critical of the models and data used to establish population estimates and harvest policy. I'm ignorant of the WI issues. However, after reading the report it sounds credible and much like what I perceive of the situation in my state.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
This is what Bullwinkle said a few response ago:
"Btw- if I took 16 does on my farm I would screw up my property for years. I bet I that would cut the deer population in 1/2 to 1/3- completely stupid move"
OK do the math at half that would put his deer numbers on his 320 acres at 32. Which puts his DPSM at 64. Still think Bull's land isn't in one of those pockets. The DNR is putting up fences because of the extreme browse pressure on Bull's property, still think Bull's land isn't in one of those pockets. Bull posted pictures on the old site of browse line as high as the deer could reach on their hind legs. Still think Bull isn't in one of those pockets. Go to this link and choose Waupaca county and look at all the reports for Waupaca county and then see what you think.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/deermetrics.html

This is what Bullwinkle said a few response ago:
"Btw- if I took 16 does on my farm I would screw up my property for years. I bet I that would cut the deer population in 1/2 to 1/3- completely stupid move"
OK do the math at half that would put his deer numbers on his 320 acres at 32. Which puts his DPSM at 64. Still think Bull's land isn't in one of those pockets. The DNR is putting up fences because of the extreme browse pressure on Bull's property, still think Bull's land isn't in one of those pockets. Bull posted pictures on the old site of browse line as high as the deer could reach on their hind legs. Still think Bull isn't in one of those pockets. Go to this link and choose Waupaca county and look at all the reports for Waupaca county and then see what you think.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/deermetrics.html

Don't have a dog in this but ....
This is the problem we have with numbers. They seem absolute, but we really don't know what they actually are. I'm fascinated by perceptions and the estimates we make. I have 400 acres. I asked my son, I think he was still in college, if we dropped a fence around the farm multiple times and averaged the number of deer trapped inside, what would the number be? He said 400. Obviously not close. I asked my brother who thinks he's an expert at all things deer. He said 80. I think it's more like 30. The state game departments aren't any better, I'm beginning to believe. Habitats acres are screwed up. Deer kill numbers are suspect. And so the the plans are always questionable until proven sound. We talk county only because it's the smallest geographic unit we got from a state game perspective. Would we be better off if we managed our own land/herd? Some might. Others not do much. The smarter we get the darker the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Good post X

In WON this week they reported that the elk and deer advisory committee recommend the following to the CDAC for over population counties

1. Bring back EAB
2. 16 day gun season starting at normal time
3. Doe only after the 4 day Dec Gun hunt

No doe only. No sharp shooters

Common sense Tom. Not panic moves that will start revolts

I am all for EAB with the rule you can kill your doe the year before and it doesn't apply for kids youth weekend. The problem will be how do you do this with call in registration. There was a ground swell of bar talk of calling in phantom does this year. EAB will be a complete joke with the call in system.

EAB is against the law that isn't happening.

A gun season before the traditional 9 day hunt would also be against the law..good thing they didn't sugest that. 16 day gun season is the gun and muzzle loader season added together so no real change there. People already have that opportunity.

#3 not sure what you mean..archery would be doe only?

Sounds like no real changes suggested, which means bring in the sharp shooters

#2 idea - gun season starts normal day and goes for 16 days vs 9

EAB law could easily be changed I think?

These are not my ideas. They are in WON this week

I'd love doe only. How often do you get a year added on your neighborhood bucks? Hope they do it soon so I can book an out of state hunt.

Getting the Rebulican controlled legislature to pass a new law allowing EAB does not sound easy to me, they were the ones that outlawed it.

#2 idea - gun season starts normal day and goes for 16 days vs 9

EAB law could easily be changed I think?

These are not my ideas. They are in WON this week

I'd love doe only. How often do you get a year added on your neighborhood bucks? Hope they do it soon so I can book an out of state hunt.

It would take a state legislative action to get EAB back and that isn't happening. It would be doe only until the population was brought down. With your way of thinking the deer population will never come down. So Waupaca would be doe only. Bring on the sharp shooters.

It would take a state legislative action to get EAB back and that isn't happening. It would be doe only until the population was brought down. With your way of thinking the deer population will never come down. So Waupaca would be doe only. Bring on the sharp shooters.

Tom - I'd be willing to make a bet that doe only or sharp shooters will not happen this year? We could have some fun with our divergent opinions? You game? How about a reconyx camera?

The answer, without EAB as an option, is to let all land owners who want to shoot does shoot as many as they want with rifles Sept 15- Dec 31. Problem solved.

Once again, there can't be a firearm season before the normal 9 day gun hunt.

Passed in the same bill that outlawed EAB

Hey Bull, Door County is recommending an Antlerless only season for 2017. All the counties that had way to high DPSM's got warned by NRB that they had to bring their DPSM down or they would do it for them. Rumor has it that Waupaca county is going to do the same. Waupaca's CDAC hasn't posted the season recommendations yet online in fear of the uproar. Looks like it might happen.

Hey Bull, Door County is recommending an Antlerless only season for 2017. All the counties that had way to high DPSM's got warned by NRB that they had to bring their DPSM down or they would do it for them. Rumor has it that Waupaca county is going to do the same. Waupaca's CDAC hasn't posted the season recommendations yet online in fear of the uproar. Looks like it might happen.

Wow. Buckle your seat belt, this will be interesting. Thanks for sharing Tom

I hope they decide soon. If they are I need to book my dream Canadian hunt

Can you imagine the bucks that will be running around in '18 if this happens!!

If I understand it right Waupaca county had their meeting 3/23 and final recommendations are due 4/17-21

The bars were buzzing last year. Mostly targeted toward CDAC members - recommending doe only for personal gain - wanting big bucks for themselves. They got it locally just like trump is getting it now.

I can see how getting all your neighbors to shoot does and let yours be a sanctuary would set yourself up for a few great buck years. With the call in system guys will just call in all their doe tags like a bunch did last year.

Blizzard - you might want to put an advertisement in WON for buck hunts for displaced doe only hunters in WI. There will be a lot of guys not participating if this happens and will be looking for places to hunt.

I have access to family hunting land in shawano and oconto county and always wanted to do a Canadian hunt????

Thought this was interesting. Found in the Waupaca newspaper. Article was about how happy the CDAC was with the '16 doe harvest. What a difference a year makes

I think it was 2011 when they removed EAB. The 2017 doe target dropped about 3000 does because of the great results. Target does in '16 was 14,000 something.

IMG_6833.JPG

Thought this was interesting. Found in the Waupaca newspaper. Article was about how happy the CDAC was with the '16 doe harvest. What a difference a year makes

I think it was 2011 when they removed EAB. The 2017 doe target dropped about 3000 does because of the great results. Target does in '16 was 14,000 something.

View attachment 6603
Bull...shows 7,800 does were called in...that's a long way from 14,000...

I know. That just tells you how all this was based on personal agendas and not science. Argue either side - you can't flip flop this much and say it's science

Last year the CDAC wanted doe only. Settled on 14,000 + as goal and threatened doe only and sharp shooters. Shot 7800 and we got thanked for great progress and lowered target for '17

I am not making this up

The data also shows how effective earn a buck was. That drop in doe kill between '09 and '10 I think was hunters struggling shooting their earn a buck if I remember right. Then it all blew up because of lack of deer. For the CDAC to think we could shoot 14000 does is absolutely crazy. We have many less deer now than back in '07-09 Not even close.

Back