Disc size?

split toe

I have a 6ft disc, but I would like a wider one. What size of disc are y'all using and how many acres y'all plot?

I use a 6 foot wide, angle frame double gang disc - I only plot about 1.5 acres annually (I have another 1.5 acres in perennials). I pull it with my little 790JD (makes roughly 25~30 hp).

Soil type and tractor ho are going to limit what you can use.

ctm....I want to comment on this but I know as soon as I do it will break.. however it has gone through a ton of rock without issues Woods tc68... think the key is forward rotation not reverse

1-12' two gang disc and 1-8' offset disc, 67 HP, 20 ac. You need more horsepower to pull an offset disc, about 7 HP per ft, V.S. about 5 HP per ft for a standard disc. Offset disc will rip the sod or dirt deeper than a two side disc. I should have my head examined- I'm opposed to tillage for food plots as a general principle, yet have two discs? Go figure.

I use an Everything Attachments 6 footer that weighs 1250lbs. This is on 17 acres (we do 8 or 9 acres of annuals every years). I'd like to use a larger one but couldn't get to most of our plots with one. For what it's worth, I can't emphasize the importance of weight for efficiently turning ground.

Last edited:
I planted 29 acres for a number of years with a 5 ft disk and JD 790. I then got a 5 ft tiller and switched to it - but it is SLOW. I have a JD 5065 now and use an 8 ft disk. A 10 ft would be fine, but I cant get it down a lot of my trails.

I planted 29 acres for a number of years with a 5 ft disk and JD 790. I then got a 5 ft tiller and switched to it - but it is SLOW. I have a JD 5065 now and use an 8 ft disk. A 10 ft would be fine, but I cant get it down a lot of my trails.
Widen your trails an option? I have a 10' drill and have had to widen some of my woods roads. Then I drill seed right on the trail and it becomes additional plot space.

Widen your trails an option? I have a 10' drill and have had to widen some of my woods roads. Then I drill seed right on the trail and it becomes additional plot space.
I could, but I have several miles of trails and it would be a pretty good job. Plus, it is heavily wooded and probably wouldnt grow that well anyway - and I dont have a drill.:D

6 foot on 5 acres.
0a378352e40b4b8a1c1dc5b228aeb142.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Good use of native material with the disc weight.^^^^^^^
Chad's rig will get most places a four wheeler can.
Very economical and easy to work on:D
Disc....incorperate seed and..... leave disc raised to pack plot with tires.

I could, but I have several miles of trails and it would be a pretty good job. Plus, it is heavily wooded and probably wouldnt grow that well anyway - and I dont have a drill.:D
Discing is a tool that I use from time to time but a no-till drill is still the ultimate weapon for food plots. I drilled wheat without fertilizer on a 12' wide dirt atv trail that was bare shale dirt for years, didn't look like any topsoil was left, the wheat popped right out of the ground and gave a nice cover crop. Discing and broadcasting seed works better in the spring, but it's hard to beat getting the seed in the ground at the proper depth. The key is moisture, seed at 1 1/2" deep in solid soil should have enough moisture to germinate and get started, seed almost on top of the ground in disced powdery dirt in the summer may struggle to establish. Once the plant has started growing most of the battle is won, just sit there and watch your plot turn green. If you can afford a drill the disc will spend a lot of time parked in the shed.

Discing is a tool that I use from time to time but a no-till drill is still the ultimate weapon for food plots. I drilled wheat without fertilizer on a 12' wide dirt atv trail that was bare shale dirt for years, didn't look like any topsoil was left, the wheat popped right out of the ground and gave a nice cover crop. Discing and broadcasting seed works better in the spring, but it's hard to beat getting the seed in the ground at the proper depth. The key is moisture, seed at 1 1/2" deep in solid soil should have enough moisture to germinate and get started, seed almost on top of the ground in disced powdery dirt in the summer may struggle to establish. Once the plant has started growing most of the battle is won, just sit there and watch your plot turn green. If you can afford a drill the disc will spend a lot of time parked in the shed.

I agree - if I could afford the drill. :D

Back