Dang Crossbows

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogghr

No I'm not whining about them. Not a problem. But I just got a catalog from Bass Pro and there were a bunch in there for 2000$!!! I know the technology on them is really taking off but wow that is a lot of bucks. And most of the others were at or over 1000. I do like how some have gotten more narrow. I can buy a very nice rifle for that money. But then I never thot I'd spend over 100 for a recurve either. Just sticker shock I guess.

People will pay, so they will charge.
There is not $2k worth of tech or materials in a crossbow... But, with more liberal State hunting laws a new niche needs filled and hunters in general spend way more money than they need to to kill an animal. It's like .22 ammo, it's expensive because we let it be. If they didn't sell anything at those prices they would lower them.

I won;t say there isn't a difference between the low end and high end ones...because there is a difference....or at least was on the ones I tried. But i couldn't sink big $ into something new. I got started for like $500. I still prefer my compound, but my kids like the crossbow. Just like anything else somebody has to have the best one out there regardless of price.....can they justify the price difference? probably not really, but, they gotta have the best! Biggest differences I saw in cost was weight, balance and trigger.

Love my Excalibur Matrix 380. Eight hundred well spent. But I agree, $2000 is ridiculous for a crossbow. I think one of the most difficult things associated with getting older is getting used to progressively higher prices.

I think one of the most difficult things associated with getting older is getting used to progressively higher prices.

Lol, my wife started telling me "you'll make a great old man" when I was in my 20's. Every time I complain about the price of gas or health insurance going up she gives me that look and then says it again.

I will be buying one of the high end ones sometime this year, are they worth the price, nope, but with that said many of the expensive ones are night and day better than the other ones and i've tried manyyyyy.

Funny last year I seriously asked the question what is the difference between an $800 crossbow and a $2800 crossbow. The only answer I got was $2,000. LOL! Yes, I really did see a $2800 crossbow, if it wasn't Bass Pro, it was Cabela's. I see some differences say from $300-$1500.... Without handling and shooting, it's hard to see how they go even higher?

I want a Tenpoint with the full Acudraw. Also looking at Wicked Ridge. Open to any recommendations that you have and are happy with!

Funny last year I seriously asked the question what is the difference between an $800 crossbow and a $2800 crossbow. The only answer I got was $2,000. LOL! Yes, I really did see a $2800 crossbow, if it wasn't Bass Pro, it was Cabela's. I see some differences say from $300-$1500.... Without handling and shooting, it's hard to see how they go even higher?

I want a Tenpoint with the full Acudraw. Also looking at Wicked Ridge. Open to any recommendations that you have and are happy with!
Any Excalibur. You tend to get more speed with more money. You get other things too, but speed is what you are able to read on the tag. A friend of mine purchased the Matrix 355 and couldn't be happier. I have shot it multiple times and it is a tack driver. Using sandbags as a rest, we were putting the bolt in the same hole or cutting the hole at 50yrds. I have shot a bunch of Excalibur crossbows, but never at that distance. I was impressed a with the brand before, but that 50yd accuracy put me over the top with how accurate it was.

I have a Scorpyd someone gave me. Off a rest, i can hit a coke can probably over half the time at 100 yards. It is much louder than a compound. It is fast - over 400 ft per second. I have never taken it hunting, but my six year old grand daughter killed a nice buck with it last year. Even though it is accurate way on out there, I dont believe I would shoot at a deer over 40 yards.

Any Excalibur. You tend to get more speed with more money. You get other things too, but speed is what you are able to read on the tag. A friend of mine purchased the Matrix 355 and couldn't be happier. I have shot it multiple times and it is a tack driver. Using sandbags as a rest, we were putting the bolt in the same hole or cutting the hole at 50yrds. I have shot a bunch of Excalibur crossbows, but never at that distance. I was impressed a with the brand before, but that 50yd accuracy put me over the top with how accurate it was.
Excalibur X two. I've had many different crossbows with wheels, a lot of issues until I got an Excalibur.

looking at getting something for my father, going to looking into the excaliburs anything else you guys recommend. Obviously he isn't going to shoot it ahead of time as it going to be a gift for helping me with my business this year. Wicked ridge I have heard of but only cross bow I have ever shot was a ten point that is horribly abused (owner leaves it cocked constantly...like for months at a crack)

looking at getting something for my father, going to looking into the excaliburs anything else you guys recommend. Obviously he isn't going to shoot it ahead of time as it going to be a gift for helping me with my business this year. Wicked ridge I have heard of but only cross bow I have ever shot was a ten point that is horribly abused (owner leaves it cocked constantly...like for months at a crack)
Vandy - not sure I would surprise him with one. It's a very different weapon to hunt with. Just like a bow or gun you need to find what fits him and what he likes. Like I said it's a very different weapon. He may not like it at all......I would hate to see someone drop $500~$1,000 on something that just collected dust. If he is on-board then go where you can shoot several. Most archery shops I know will have at least a few different ones for you to shoot. Balance and the trigger on the weapon is where I think you will see the biggest "bang for the money spent". They are all loud compared to a vertical bow and heavier. And to be honest it's just plain odd at first to hunt with because it's all "wrong".....holds like a gun without a bang when you pull the trigger. Distances like a bow, yet you have these limbs that now go in a different plane! Just my 2 cents worth.

J-Bird good points I've handled several in stores and many just don't fit. Lightweight and Acudraw are key features for me, I don't care about the latest blazing speed, I think they'll all do the job inside 40 yards where I intend to stay.

I have excal matrix 380, but I'm really interested in the micro suppressor. A very quiet crossbow. As far as crossbow vs vertical, I will be hunting with a compound again once my surgeon gets my shoulder fixed. I'm just thankful that I have the option to continue archery hunting with a torn rotator cuff.

Check out the Horton Storm RDX. Horton is made by Tenpoint and acudraw is available on them. It is reverse draw which I feel balances the crossbow out and it is narrow. I really like mine.

Check out the Horton Storm RDX. Horton is made by Tenpoint and acudraw is available on them. It is reverse draw which I feel balances the crossbow out and it is narrow. I really like mine.

Thanks!
I've looked at that one a little. Size and balance are definitely a factor.

Here's a question for those with a reverse draw... maybe I'm over thinking it, but if the string or a limb were to break, wouldn't the force come toward you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back